Results 1 to 10 of 130

Thread: PLD 4.0

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Player
    Jpec07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    868
    Character
    Matthias Gendrin
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_ View Post
    The point is people DO NOT WANT RNG MITIGATION. People want to know how much damage they're going to take and when they are going to take it. [...] That's what people want. Consistent mitigation.
    To be frank, tough luck to those people. Predictability on that level would make the game (and really any game) insufferably boring. Where's the challenge if the situation is 100% reliable? Micromanaging your cooldowns? You can already do that. Maximizing your rotation? You can already do that, too. Mastering encounter mechanics? That can also already be done. Parry exists to smooth out the damage taken when taking a lot of hits (which is admittedly rare outside of dungeons). The more parry, the more reliable your mitigation will be.

    Let me ask this: if Parry were replaced with "Toughness," which granted equivalent effective mitigation (only without the RNG component) would it be better? If you had 30% Parry rate (possible with current levels of gear), it translates to 6% physical mitigation; would you prefer a lower-scaling Toughness stat that mitigated every non-blocked, non-Crit physical hit for a flat 6%?

    I don't think I personally would.
    (0)
    __________________________
    A dungeon party with two summoners always makes me egi.

    Beginner's Overview to Tanking in FFXIV: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/352455
    Learn to Play (it's not what you think): http://www.l2pnoob.org/

  2. #2
    Player
    Instrumentality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gridania
    Posts
    413
    Character
    Eureka Evergarden
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpec07 View Post
    Let me ask this: if Parry were replaced with "Toughness," which granted equivalent effective mitigation (only without the RNG component) would it be better? If you had 30% Parry rate (possible with current levels of gear), it translates to 6% physical mitigation; would you prefer a lower-scaling Toughness stat that mitigated every non-blocked, non-Crit physical hit for a flat 6%?

    I don't think I personally would.
    Yes, I would want this.

    You could even call it...bonus armor? And make it appear only on tank gear (including vit jewelry)? And give your tanks...bonus damage based on how much bonus armor they had?

    Edit: Or, better yet, call it bonus defense!
    (1)
    Last edited by Instrumentality; 01-15-2016 at 05:56 AM.
    My life while tanking is an existential hell from which there is no escape.

  3. #3
    Player
    Jpec07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    868
    Character
    Matthias Gendrin
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Instrumentality View Post
    Yes, I would want this.

    You could even call it...bonus armor? And make it appear only on tank gear (including vit jewelry)? And give your tanks...bonus damage based on how much bonus armor they had?

    Edit: Or, better yet, call it bonus defense!
    I'm not sure if it's intentional, but you're referencing what I consider to be one of the biggest tank design mistakes in World of Warcraft. I hated Bonus Armor and everything it represented, and I absolutely would not want it here. It was one of the things that killed the game for me, and I sincerely hope SE is smarter than to implement it here.
    (0)
    __________________________
    A dungeon party with two summoners always makes me egi.

    Beginner's Overview to Tanking in FFXIV: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/352455
    Learn to Play (it's not what you think): http://www.l2pnoob.org/

  4. #4
    Player
    Instrumentality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gridania
    Posts
    413
    Character
    Eureka Evergarden
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpec07 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's intentional, but you're referencing what I consider to be one of the biggest tank design mistakes in World of Warcraft. I hated Bonus Armor and everything it represented, and I absolutely would not want it here. It was one of the things that killed the game for me, and I sincerely hope SE is smarter than to implement it here.
    I would, bonus armor was like the one awesome thing tanks got.

    At least in comparison to secondary stats in this game it was a stat that mattered a huge amount.
    (0)
    My life while tanking is an existential hell from which there is no escape.