Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70
  1. #21
    Player
    VeyaAkemi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Posts
    1,461
    Character
    Veya Akemi
    World
    Marilith
    Main Class
    Viper Lv 100
    I am against the idea, not because I don't think people should have fun with it, but because, to be blunt, if I am ever just minding my own business, and I receive a party invitation followed by a /tell demanding a duel, that's gonna piss me off, that's something I don't want to deal with, because I dealt with it in games with duel systems, people can get real fucking annoying about it, often repeating the request multiple times after you reject it, and regrettably the blacklist can only hold so many names.
    (6)

  2. #22
    Player
    ThreeBeastSmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    223
    Character
    Raccam Tantaram
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by VeyaAkemi View Post
    I am against the idea, not because I don't think people should have fun with it, but because, to be blunt, if I am ever just minding my own business, and I receive a party invitation followed by a /tell demanding a duel, that's gonna piss me off, that's something I don't want to deal with, because I dealt with it in games with duel systems, people can get real fucking annoying about it, often repeating the request multiple times after you reject it, and regrettably the blacklist can only hold so many names.
    That could be easily resolved by an "auto-decline duels" toggable, as some other games have utilized.

    I don't really care for [formal] duels; don't really count them as OW PvP, but I do know what you're talking about there... and those games that did offer that were a relief lol. Too many people not taking a loss and spamming until they win, which is just bizarre to me when it's like 10 down, and usually it'll be someone that has just finished dominating all the "scrubs" around them.
    (4)
    Last edited by ThreeBeastSmile; 09-07-2026 at 05:48 PM.

  3. #23
    Player
    LeCorbeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2025
    Posts
    166
    Character
    Mordain Lecorbeaux
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    The main issue is finding a lore reason for it. All the grand companies are friends. The Warrior of Light has united everyone and made everything peaceful. If there is ever a slither of war, the Warrior of Light mops it up quick and dusts their hands.
    The WoL regularly slaughters guys minding their own business because somebody in Limsa Lominsa, Ishgard, Kugane, Crystarium, or a dozen other places put their name on a board. They kill gods, even if they don't have to. What makes you think they'll stop at player characters?
    (2)

  4. #24
    Player
    JohnLakeside's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2024
    Posts
    264
    Character
    John Lakeside
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 100
    This would be a great step towards bringing a more fun, bro-ish vibe to the community. Support, support, support. It would also be sick as heck seeing people duel. Some duelists could even become renowned server wide for their skills. Does FF14 even have any "famous" players that a large chunk of the playerbase would know? OSRS has a lot. Granted, most of those are content creators, but they're also known for their skills as well. Settled, Odablock, Boaty, SoloMission, etc. Can't really become a famous OSRS player without being good at the game.

    Edit: Man, I'm imagining how sick it would be if FF14 had its own "1013" (infamous OSRS PvPer). Dude isn't a content creator, but his name is widely known just cuz of how legendary he is at PvP.
    (3)
    Last edited by JohnLakeside; 09-08-2026 at 05:21 AM.
    Still bitter about this community overhyping Shadowbringers.

  5. #25
    Player
    Aidorouge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2024
    Posts
    702
    Character
    Buzam Aidorouge
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBeastSmile View Post
    That could be easily resolved by an "auto-decline duels" toggable, as some other games have utilized.

    I don't really care for [formal] duels; don't really count them as OW PvP, but I do know what you're talking about there... and those games that did offer that were a relief lol.
    As nice as it would be to have an auto-decline for that, I don't think this game even has auto-decline for friend requests and guild invites like those other games have too.
    (5)

  6. #26
    Player
    Kozh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,057
    Character
    Corvo Aerden
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 96
    Quote Originally Posted by VeyaAkemi View Post
    I am against the idea, not because I don't think people should have fun with it, but because, to be blunt, if I am ever just minding my own business, and I receive a party invitation followed by a /tell demanding a duel, that's gonna piss me off, that's something I don't want to deal with, because I dealt with it in games with duel systems, people can get real fucking annoying about it, often repeating the request multiple times after you reject it, and regrettably the blacklist can only hold so many names.
    I think if they want to implement a large scale pvp, they could dedicate a new zone that allows for PvPvE. Iirc ESO has a zone like that, so if a player enter that area willingly they should be prepared for duels. Meanwhile players who simply don't like PvP won't miss anything or getting harassed by random strangers by not entering said zone.

    So yeah basically a wolf den but much, much bigger.
    (1)

  7. #27
    Player
    Enkidoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ala Mhigo
    Posts
    8,434
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBeastSmile View Post
    That could be easily resolved by an "auto-decline duels" toggable, as some other games have utilized.

    I don't really care for [formal] duels; don't really count them as OW PvP, but I do know what you're talking about there... and those games that did offer that were a relief lol. Too many people not taking a loss and spamming until they win, which is just bizarre to me when it's like 10 down, and usually it'll be someone that has just finished dominating all the "scrubs" around them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidorouge View Post
    As nice as it would be to have an auto-decline for that, I don't think this game even has auto-decline for friend requests and guild invites like those other games have too.
    Auto-decline also does not stop players with chips on their shoulders then proceeding to hassle people with duel requests and then harass them when they say no (it happened to me on numerous games that had open world PvP with auto-decline - The Old Republic being the big one - I was constantly being hassled by players from my own faction wanting to pick fights with me for no reason other than lulz, and then threw abuse at me when I politely said "No thanks, I'm playing solo PvE right now." Players simply can't be trusted which Yoshi understands and hence, no open world PvP, because he knows players would just use it to grief and abuse new players trying to do stuff on the open world like FATEs and Hunts.

    You want to duel here in FFXIV? Go to the Duelling Circle at the Wolves' Den. Don't expect to be able to grief new players on the open world, it's simply never going to happen. PvP is separate to the main game and will stay that way. And it is just as well.
    (6)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 09-07-2026 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

    Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

  8. #28
    Player
    Luluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Shadowlord
    Posts
    1,200
    Character
    Luluna Eve
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 100
    Not my kind of thing if I am honest and it just seems like a waste of resources I do not feel there is a need for it but that is just my thought on it.

    Like Enkidoh stated you can dual up in the wolves den.

    If they where going to add anything it would be great for campaign or besieged like in FFXI but that is not PVP.
    (5)

  9. #29
    Player
    Scintilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    311
    Character
    Taeryn Bishop
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    Auto-decline also does not stop players with chips on their shoulders then proceeding to hassle people with duel requests and then harass them when they say no (it happened to me on numerous games that had open world PvP with auto-decline - The Old Republic being the big one - I was constantly being hassled by players from my own faction wanting to pick fights with me for no reason other than lulz, and then threw abuse at me when I politely said "No thanks, I'm playing solo PvE right now." Players simply can't be trusted which Yoshi understands and hence, no open world PvP, because he knows players would just use it to grief and abuse new players trying to do stuff on the open world like FATEs and Hunts.

    You want to duel here in FFXIV? Go to the Duelling Circle at the Wolves' Den. Don't expect to be able to grief new players on the open world, it's simply never going to happen. PvP is separate to the main game and will stay that way. And it is just as well.
    While I see the concerns, I do think this is drastically overblown. The PvP community is already small in comparison to many other MMOs, so I struggle to see you drowning in persistent Tells.

    No different to FC requests: my alt will get random requests, I just cancel them. Rarely they'll get a Tell to say Hi and ask directly, I just ignore it or reply 'No thanks' and have never yet received any further pushiness. Now, if the PvP was totally open with no kind of invite/agreement needed then, yes, I could totally see the concerns. But that's not what is being suggested.

    I notice you automatically jump to the assumption that the player making the suggestion is out to grief new players?
    (4)
    Last edited by Scintilla; 09-07-2026 at 09:51 PM.

  10. #30
    Player
    Valence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    5,866
    Character
    Sunie Mochi
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrius View Post
    Then the Wolves' Den Pier has all you need with the dueling arena.
    PvP allowed or not in other areas notwithstanding, one thing I'd like them to expand upon is allowing more than just duels in WDP.

    Party vs party could be fun.
    (3)
    Secretly had a crush on Mao

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread