Results 1 to 10 of 44

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Player
    Krotoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,591
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    The entire game being like FFXI or similar MMOs isn't wise, because they have not been conducive to a healthy lifestyle and have made you grind a ridiculous amount and spend huge amounts of time traveling, forming groups, doing fetch quests and suffering lots of RNG and anything else they can do to make you spend all day to get something done. When I started this game and saw that I only had to kill 3 enemies for quests, I was blown away. Teleporting isn't a very immersive way to travel but most of the time you probably aren't roleplaying and don't want to RP travel everywhere.

    But I like having an isolated area like that which forces you not to spend too long by actually kicking you out after 3 hours. This was always my stopping point. It was time to eat. I did my Eureka relic casually spending a few sessions of 3 hours per area when they were new. That's a few nights total in each eureka area, so it wasn't actually that bad unless you had extremely limited time or were grinding all the relics, minions and mounts without breaks.
    You are welcome to whatever you enjoy, however the idea that "a few people complained so they abandoned it" is silly. The zone IS empty except for farmy bots now. People COULD have kept running the stuff for drops or because they REALLY liked the gameplay.. but they didn't and they don't. A lot of people ask where I got my elemental armor and when I mention eureka they immediately go "oh.. it's nice though!". The grind is boring for a lot of people and the added hazards and "difficulty" are a huge deterrent to many. Enough that SE has basically abandoned it to the gil farmers.

    You might claim it would do better if they supported it.. and maybe if they'd continued it'd be a little livelier. But in general the FFXIV playerbase isn't about that old school punishment and danger.
    (1)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

  2. #2
    Player
    Jeeqbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    8,561
    Character
    Oscarlet Oirellain
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Krotoan View Post
    the idea that "a few people complained so they abandoned it" is silly.
    A lot of people complained. I saw the complaints everywhere in the game, on the forums and on discord.

    The zone IS empty except for farmy bots now.
    No it's not. Every time I have been in there since Shadowbringers released, it has had 20 or more people in. More recently it's been more like 40. In Hydatos I've even seen over 100 because of BA, but it's not all just people doing BA. In all of the times I've been in, it's been real people who have been talking about the NMs they are spawning or trying to invite me to a party when I'm trying to solo.

    You might claim it would do better if they supported it.. and maybe if they'd continued it'd be a little livelier. But in general the FFXIV playerbase isn't about that old school punishment and danger.
    It doesn't need to do better than it did. It was full of people and I had a blast doing it. It's one of the most fun things in the whole game. I would love another place just like Eureka, but another place like Bozja would be alright too, Bozja was just much quicker to get through so it generated less social interaction that's all.
    (2)
    In other news, there is no technical debt from 1.0.
    "We don't have ... a technological issue that was carried over from 1.0, because ARR was meant to kind of discard what we had from 1.0 and rebuild it from the engine."
    https://youtu.be/ge32wNPaJKk?t=560

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    Want to know why new content will never last more than 20 minutes? Full breakdown:

  3. #3
    Player
    Krotoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,591
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    A lot of people complained. I saw the complaints everywhere in the game, on the forums and on discord.
    Yes.. so when a lot of people complain about content.. you don't make more of it. I don't understand your point then. It was greatly disliked.




    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    No it's not. Every time I have been in there since Shadowbringers released, it has had 20 or more people in. More recently it's been more like 40. In Hydatos I've even seen over 100 because of BA, but it's not all just people doing BA. In all of the times I've been in, it's been real people who have been talking about the NMs they are spawning or trying to invite me to a party when I'm trying to solo.
    That.. is not a lot of people I'm sorry to say. If instances aren't being filled then it's pretty dead content.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post

    It doesn't need to do better than it did. It was full of people and I had a blast doing it. It's one of the most fun things in the whole game. I would love another place just like Eureka, but another place like Bozja would be alright too, Bozja was just much quicker to get through so it generated less social interaction that's all.
    Like I said.. you enjoy what you enjoy. But in general people did it for the rewards, once if at all, then abandoned it. You don't make more content for a fraction of a fraction of your playerbase. Especially when that content is basically another one of your games anyway.
    (1)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

  4. #4
    Player
    SnowVix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    770
    Character
    Charming Tulip
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Krotoan View Post
    That.. is not a lot of people I'm sorry to say. If instances aren't being filled then it's pretty dead content.
    "if an MMO doesn't have more subscribers than WoW, it's dead" is the exact mentality you're parroting
    (4)

  5. #5
    Player
    Jeeqbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    8,561
    Character
    Oscarlet Oirellain
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Krotoan View Post
    Yes.. so when a lot of people complain about content.. you don't make more of it. I don't understand your point then. It was greatly disliked.
    My point is that although they complained, I personally disagree with their complaints and would love to see more areas like Eureka.

    That.. is not a lot of people I'm sorry to say. If instances aren't being filled then it's pretty dead content.
    This is in each individual area of the 4 Eureka areas, so if you add 20-40 together from each area it is actually a lot of people. This is across all hours too and I usually check in the least active hours. It is old content so it would be logical to expect it to have no more than 1-2 people in, but it's a lot more active than that usually.
    (0)
    In other news, there is no technical debt from 1.0.
    "We don't have ... a technological issue that was carried over from 1.0, because ARR was meant to kind of discard what we had from 1.0 and rebuild it from the engine."
    https://youtu.be/ge32wNPaJKk?t=560

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    Want to know why new content will never last more than 20 minutes? Full breakdown:

  6. #6
    Player
    Krotoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,591
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowVix View Post
    "if an MMO doesn't have more subscribers than WoW, it's dead" is the exact mentality you're parroting
    That.. is not anything like what I said. Inside an MMO, if group content doesn't at least have a few "filled" instances and they fill as they are created, it's dying or dead content. FFXIV is fine. Eureka has passed it's living and "live" period and is a bot town on most servers. Some people still play it, but it's not deserving of more attention right now as far as player interest levels.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    My point is that although they complained, I personally disagree with their complaints and would love to see more areas like Eureka.
    Alright. I wouldn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    This is in each individual area of the 4 Eureka areas, so if you add 20-40 together from each area it is actually a lot of people. This is across all hours too and I usually check in the least active hours. It is old content so it would be logical to expect it to have no more than 1-2 people in, but it's a lot more active than that usually.
    I wouldn't consider partially filled instances "active". Considering the "endgame" area climax raid requires manual organization to run, I think it's not running at the capacity it was supposed to, just fostering the few brave souls who learned about the rewards and are slogging that challenge grind.
    (1)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

  7. #7
    Player
    Jeeqbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    8,561
    Character
    Oscarlet Oirellain
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Krotoan View Post
    I wouldn't consider partially filled instances "active". Considering the "endgame" area climax raid requires manual organization to run, I think it's not running at the capacity it was supposed to, just fostering the few brave souls who learned about the rewards and are slogging that challenge grind.
    You said yourself that Eureka has multiple instances so just those people could be split between multiple instances as well.

    Just because it's a bot town on a new data center such as Materia doesn't mean it is everywhere else. Old relic grinds have always been a very popular endgame content since "old" existed and that includes the stormblood relics. It's not hard to come across someone saying they are working on an old relic if you are in a lot of game chats.

    I've not encountered bots when I've been into any of the 4 areas, just normal people spawning and doing NMs or BA but it will be interesting if I ever run into them. Bots being there doesn't mean players aren't though.
    (0)
    In other news, there is no technical debt from 1.0.
    "We don't have ... a technological issue that was carried over from 1.0, because ARR was meant to kind of discard what we had from 1.0 and rebuild it from the engine."
    https://youtu.be/ge32wNPaJKk?t=560

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    Want to know why new content will never last more than 20 minutes? Full breakdown:

  8. #8
    Player
    Krotoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,591
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeqbit View Post
    You said yourself that Eureka has multiple instances so just those people could be split between multiple instances as well.

    Just because it's a bot town on a new data center such as Materia doesn't mean it is everywhere else. Old relic grinds have always been a very popular endgame content since "old" existed and that includes the stormblood relics. It's not hard to come across someone saying they are working on an old relic if you are in a lot of game chats.

    I've not encountered bots when I've been into any of the 4 areas, just normal people spawning and doing NMs or BA but it will be interesting if I ever run into them. Bots being there doesn't mean players aren't though.

    The way it SHOULD work is when the content is healthy and thriving people queue fast enough that an instance gets full before a new one is created. Now however you have instances with a fraction of their capacity. meaning people are queuing slow enough that the instance gets too old before it can fill and the server doesn't want to put new people in an instance that's about to "expire" or has gone dead. This very rarely happened when eureka first released or when the big "surge" happened and all the new people were trying for those rewards.

    Now it's pretty common and an indicator the content isn't popular beyond the initial push. I said as much back when it was released. The content needed a way to be progress able even when it wasn't full. Then they added the challenges bandaid which.. kinda helps. But I don't think anyone can seriously say that Eureka is relevant or popular when you realize that the servers host 10's of thousands of people but those instances are pretty much phantoms of what they used to be.


    I'm not saying you can't like what you like. But facts are Eureka was bubblegum content. It's been chewed up and there is exceedingly little motivation for the playerbase to go back to it once they've wrung out the rewards. People aren't doing it because "whee Eureka!".. they're doing it because there's stuff locked behind it and a majority of the people I talk to don't even think that stuff is worth it.
    (0)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?