Quote Originally Posted by Waaltar View Post
I wonder if you know about one of the targeting methods I use a lot as a controller player. Basically, you hit the y button to untarget anything then point your character at the target and hit the x button and you will get whatever you are approximately pointed at. It works pretty good for close up players and actually as a Black Mage the problem with it is that I often target the one tank heading for my main group instead of the enemy group. It works much better for me on Gunbreaker.

I agree though that targeting is tough and a big part of high dmg total etc. Maybe especially so on a controller, but there are plenty of awesome controller players too. I suspect all the best players are doing something similar to each other related to the control scheme that I don't know about, and targeting is probably a part of it, like some targeting macros or maybe a particular controller setting or something. I feel like I've plateaued as a Black Mage and I would have to fight all match long and not die to get 200-400k damage and I saw some BLM with like 1.5 million damage a few matches ago and while a little inspiring it is also a little discouraging.
Does anyone know/have a macro to target the closest enemy? I appreciate the tips from you (and everyone else) - will have to play around a bit. I have more luck as a ranged DPS but not by much; for whatever reason, targeting in PVE is much easier - even with tons of adds. Might be that it's more forgivable - HP burns pretty fast in PVP. I find when I select 'Ignore Distance' it's no different than 'Cone' as far as targeting goes - with 64 players on a map and 2/3 of them enemies, it's frustrating and difficult to engage in battle in a smart way. I mostly play for EXP and marks, so I don't care much about winning, but I would if I felt I had half a chance in a fight.