Results 1 to 10 of 122

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Player
    Bourne_Endeavor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ul'Dah
    Posts
    5,377
    Character
    Cassandra Solidor
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Skivvy View Post
    Literally just posted this on your other thread, but here we go.

    A quick way to lose faith and respect amongst your paying customers would be to start releasing "exclusive" items that come from events / special purchases to the general playerbase. Essentially, these items are a little "thank you" to customers for spending additional money (either through events, buying CDS, preorders, whatever) outside of your subscription fee.

    There seems to be a lot of entitlement that floats around with the crowd who thinks all items should be released to everyone. Outside of showing up to conventions, just about everything else is available easily to those who want to pay for it.
    This is patently untrue. The only thing they lose is the ability to lord over others who either are new to the game or missed the event. Say they put Lightning's hair and outfit on the Cash Shop. People who participated in the event got a side quest and free items, whereas everyone else loses that content and must pay for whatever items they fancy. By restricting it instead, you piss off people aren't able to obtain these items. Like, for instance, I am unable to complete my Culinarian log because Haddock is an event item. That's that plan irksome.

    It is hardly entitlement asking to pay for items we cannot get otherwise. In fact, that's the precise opposite. If people were clamoring for them to be free, then you could make a case for entitlement. But not now.
    (9)

  2. #2
    Player
    Dree-Elle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    270
    Character
    Dree Elle
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne_Endeavor View Post
    I am unable to complete my Culinarian log because Haddock is an event item. That's that plan irksome.
    Damn, I thought they would have just chucked them into the FC Vendor like they did the items that make the Starlight Dodo. That's just shit that they didn't. I'd have bought far more if I had known that were going to be the case (afaik, they're sellable on the MB).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne_Endeavor View Post
    It is hardly entitlement asking to pay for items we cannot get otherwise. In fact, that's the precise opposite. If people were clamoring for them to be free, then you could make a case for entitlement. But not now.
    THIS.
    (2)

  3. #3
    Player
    Skivvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,204
    Character
    Boo Box
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne_Endeavor View Post
    This is patently untrue. The only thing they lose is the ability to lord over others who either are new to the game or missed the event. Say they put Lightning's hair and outfit on the Cash Shop. People who participated in the event got a side quest and free items, whereas everyone else loses that content and must pay for whatever items they fancy. By restricting it instead, you piss off people aren't able to obtain these items. Like, for instance, I am unable to complete my Culinarian log because Haddock is an event item. That's that plan irksome.

    It is hardly entitlement asking to pay for items we cannot get otherwise. In fact, that's the precise opposite. If people were clamoring for them to be free, then you could make a case for entitlement. But not now.
    I've never once lorded over anyone the fact that I have a moogle costume, or lightning hair, or any other fluff item that this is supposedly about. There are also several items that I don't have because I had either been unsubbed or just missed entirely. That's just how it works.


    I truly don't understand how people can feel they deserve to have every last item in a game, even if they weren't around at the time, or simply didn't partake when the opportunity was presented to them. To me, that is entitlement.
    (4)

  4. #4
    Player
    Bourne_Endeavor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ul'Dah
    Posts
    5,377
    Character
    Cassandra Solidor
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Skivvy View Post
    I've never once lorded over anyone the fact that I have a moogle costume, or lightning hair, or any other fluff item that this is supposedly about. There are also several items that I don't have because I had either been unsubbed or just missed entirely. That's just how it works.


    I truly don't understand how people can feel they deserve to have every last item in a game, even if they weren't around at the time, or simply didn't partake when the opportunity was presented to them. To me, that is entitlement.
    No one is saying they deserve them, but merely want them made available. That is just human nature at work. It especially becomes annoying since you'll see items on other players you have no way of accessing, even if you're willing to pay for them. Exclusivity of glamour gear benefits no one. My paying $10 for the Lightning hair does not suddenly devalue your enjoyment of it. And if it does, well, that's a whole different problem, which hearkens back to my initial point.

    Legacy items, I agree, are unique. As they exist solely as a gift to players who paid for a subpar product. In essence, they're a "We're very sorry. Please come back" item.
    (4)

  5. #5
    Player
    Niwashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,248
    Character
    Y'kayah Tia
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Skivvy View Post
    I've never once lorded over anyone the fact that I have a moogle costume, or lightning hair, or any other fluff item that this is supposedly about.
    Sure, you have. Every time you say other people who didn't take part in the events shouldn't be able to get them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Skivvy View Post
    I truly don't understand how people can feel they deserve to have every last item in a game, even if they weren't around at the time, or simply didn't partake when the opportunity was presented to them. To me, that is entitlement.
    They don't deserve to get it any more than you deserve for it to be exclusive.

    Apart from a couple items released for the express purpose of commemorating people's presence at the close of the 1.x version of the game, nothing else has been offered as an exclusive event item. Items that you receive through events may possibly wind up as de facto exclusives if they don't happen to be offered again, but there's no reason to expect exclusivity as an entitlement on them.

    You (and a lot of people with the same view) seem to think that just because something has ever had a period of not being available, it should therefore never be available again. That's nonsense.
    (9)

  6. #6
    Player
    Skivvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,204
    Character
    Boo Box
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwashi View Post
    Sure, you have. Every time you say other people who didn't take part in the events shouldn't be able to get them.



    They don't deserve to get it any more than you deserve for it to be exclusive.

    Apart from a couple items released for the express purpose of commemorating people's presence at the close of the 1.x version of the game, nothing else has been offered as an exclusive event item. Items that you receive through events may possibly wind up as de facto exclusives if they don't happen to be offered again, but there's no reason to expect exclusivity as an entitlement on them.

    You (and a lot of people with the same view) seem to think that just because something has ever had a period of not being available, it should therefore never be available again. That's nonsense.
    You seem to like me But in all seriousness, being of the opinion that some items should remain exclusive is not the same as lording it over someone. That is simply being an adult and acknowledging the fact that sometimes cool rewards get passed out to those who participated in something special. That is it.

    I think some items should come back annually, like how it does in XI. If you read all my posts, you would have seen that before claiming I don't want anything to come back ever.
    (2)