Results 1 to 10 of 9558

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Player
    Rolder50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,616
    Character
    Alarasong Elaha
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Midareyukki View Post
    I have a weird question for you guys.

    ...is there anything you guys liked about Endwalker?
    Hmm...
    The story was pretty good up until the time travel stuff, in my opinion. Time travel in stories like this always end up being full of plot holes and contrivances and the same proved true here. I especially disliked that the big bad was suddenly introduced half way and then defeated at the end. Felt very anti-climatic for the supposed end of the Ascian arc or whatever.

    Though the end fight with Zenos was pretty rad.

    At this point I'm really only subscribed to use the game as a chatroom. Heck I didn't even do the 6.3 story until a couple of weeks after because it just didn't seem like it would amount to much (and it didn't)
    (5)

  2. #2
    Player
    Teraq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Amaurot
    Posts
    275
    Character
    Teraq Moks
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolder50 View Post
    The story was pretty good up until the time travel stuff, in my opinion. Time travel in stories like this always end up being full of plot holes and contrivances and the same proved true here.
    Doesn't help that they did the time travel like… well… like this. But they did it like that the last time. Even though the very first time it was brought up in a raid storyline it was done like this – and at the time I thought Who cares? it was just a raid storyline on the side, fated to be irrelevant. Neat that he was the cat I guess huh.

    But you know, yeah. I seriously, 100% thought we were done with time travel in Shadowbringers, because… I thought that was the whole point of the Twinning. …wasn't it?? I haven't read the lore on it in a lonnnnnng while, but it was my impression that future Ironworks planned for it to happen and for us to go destroy the Tycoon, and I had assumed that the Tycoon was what gave the Tower its time travel functionality in the first place.

    I also feel like split-timeline time travel has less overbearing impact on a story. It happened like that in our timeline, but we know the original timeline still exists somewhere, and it's unlikely it will affect the story going forward. Intrinsically, this sort of AU story is about defying Fate™… unlike the time loop type of time travel, which is depressingly fatalistic when you happen to be the guys destined to be snuffed out. And the fact that the ShB time travel very much seemed to be a one-off thing that couldn't be feasibly replicated saved it from being an opened can of worms.

    And then… yeah.

    Baffling, honestly.
    (9)
    Last edited by Teraq; 02-19-2023 at 06:39 AM.

  3. #3
    Player
    redheadturk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    526
    Character
    Nabriales Majestic
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolder50 View Post
    Hmm...
    The story was pretty good up until the time travel stuff, in my opinion. Time travel in stories like this always end up being full of plot holes and contrivances and the same proved true here. I especially disliked that the big bad was suddenly introduced half way and then defeated at the end. Felt very anti-climatic for the supposed end of the Ascian arc or whatever.

    Though the end fight with Zenos was pretty rad.

    At this point I'm really only subscribed to use the game as a chatroom. Heck I didn't even do the 6.3 story until a couple of weeks after because it just didn't seem like it would amount to much (and it didn't)
    This. Time loops suck balls. It only worked in the Alexander raids because it was self contained. To intentionally merc your own people to preserve a time loop? Pretty frickin' stupid.
    (7)