As I've said before with friends and on this forum, approaching the text from a Watsonian perspective, pretty much the only way you can make Venat's character coherent is understanding she's very much like Hermes - had a pre-existing dissatisfaction and unease with Ancient society to begin with, then had "confirmation" of those beliefs through her acquaintance to the WoL and Meteion's report. Venat's response to Hermes's test not being "no, we can't let this happen! We have to save as many as possible!" but rather "Yes, we must rise to be equal to his challenge, bring it on" is very telling. She completely agrees with him that "people must prove they're worthy to exist" and "the Ancients have to prove this by reacting in the Correct way to overwhelming despair (so I will let the Overwhelming Despair play out and observe them like bugs under a microscope)."
The other aspect I find utterly baffling in regards to the approach to the Ancients being "scary" is - look at the world we live in, and actually look at the Sundered world. It's hilarious that they actually expected us to be outraged over the Ancients being willing to "take life" when they see it as justified - let alone the demonstrations of this being butterflies and an out-of-control murder wolf. Meanwhile, here I am, checking my leatherbound planner, using my communication technology whose materials are almost certainly produced in highly unethical and inhumane ways, thinking about what meat I want to unnecessarily and indulgently consume for my evening meal later on. If a spider dares show its face while I am doing this, I will crush it, for it does not belong in the perfect space I want in my room. And I consider myself a relatively harmless, benign person who doesn't actually engage in violent crime, hunting for sport, actively participating in or beginning wars, etc. Either they didn't think this through at all, or this premise is coming from an incredibly sheltered place, or both. The only way I can make any sense of people uncritically going along with these premises is if they were pre-disposed to look for any reason to justify the demise of the Ancients, and pin the blame for their slaughter as "their own fault."
Figuring that people would near-universally see a peaceful, consensual death (in a universe where reincarnation is a fact and the people who practice this are ageless) would also be horrifying and scary is also something I file under "are you just really, overwhelmingly naive here or"



Reply With Quote




