Results 1 to 10 of 89

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Player
    Krotoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,591
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistyregions View Post
    Well your tone is unprofessional. Olympic medals definitely fall into forced scarcity, every year they are special one of kind made ones by the country they are held in and that only those participants will win. No one has the ability to win the same Olympic gold medal, by design, aka forced scarcity and exclusivity which makes it even more prestigious to have it no? Same in the game I would think? I am just simply pointing out that people in the game get hella bent about things they cant get because they aren't good enough, have the conviction to get, or the effort. Also you started off this message debating me, then agreeing with me at the end.

    My whole post was simply to ask why people are upset they dont have access to certain things. It was inspired by a myriad of posts on here.
    If a gold medalist sells their medal they are still a gold medalist. They aren't doing it for the actual THING.
    (7)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

  2. #2
    Player
    Mistyregions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    424
    Character
    Misty Regions
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Krotoan View Post
    If a gold medalist sells their medal they are still a gold medalist. They aren't doing it for the actual THING.
    Wouldn't that thing still give you that metaphorical pep in your step? The actual thing is a physical representation of your accomplishment and if hanging out with other gold medalist you still could have a sense of pride for having the first and o ly one made of recycled poop. Everyone has that baller feeling and moment when they accomplish something no one can or will be able to, I know super humble people who will still smack talk in good fun about having certain things , that's not necessarily bad but its definitely a motivator you know? That BDE, that POTG. Maybe the community isn't very competitive? Is that what it is? I'm not trying to take digs at people and some people made valid points I can agree with.
    (0)

  3. #3
    Player
    Krotoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,591
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistyregions View Post
    Wouldn't that thing still give you that metaphorical pep in your step? The actual thing is a physical representation of your accomplishment and if hanging out with other gold medalist you still could have a sense of pride for having the first and o ly one made of recycled poop. Everyone has that baller feeling and moment when they accomplish something no one can or will be able to, I know super humble people who will still smack talk in good fun about having certain things , that's not necessarily bad but its definitely a motivator you know? That BDE, that POTG. Maybe the community isn't very competitive? Is that what it is? I'm not trying to take digs at people and some people made valid points I can agree with.
    I have a certificate somewhere that says I , at the time, was in the top youth orchestra in my state. This certificate in and of itself only serves to remind me of the fact that I had done that. I take pride in it only because of what it represents, not it's intrinsic value. I understand people wanting mementos, but the problem gets worse when you make those momentos have value in and of themselves like looking cool. I think the biggest problem is that in this game of virtual representations the certificates of achievement are also of value simply for aesthetics. Maybe if you could walk around with a few favorite "achievements" on your player card highlighted and make sure everyone gets at least access to any cosmetic you'd have less friction.

    I don't know of any gold medalist who worked their butt off simply because the gold held more intrinsic value than a bronze.
    (5)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?