Page 929 of 942 FirstFirst ... 429 829 879 919 927 928 929 930 931 939 ... LastLast
Results 9,281 to 9,290 of 9420
  1. #9281
    Player
    ZavosEsperian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    Limsa Lominsa
    Posts
    131
    Character
    Alhaitha Aquila
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorito_Burrito View Post
    I dunno. I just can't find the mid-air rescue all that contrived when we've seen Ancient magicks do precise things like pluck a specific person's soul from the Lifestream and conjure them the clothes they were wearing before they vanished, or recreate a whole city from memory and inhabit it with shades of the past, or erase memories from a very specific starting point. Mind you, all of this was done by unsundered Ancients like Venat, so I don't see why she's the one deserving of flack when she does it.
    There are lots of contrived failures within the plot and usually, when they happen, it is to a character who should be able to overcome the issue at hand without much struggle. Venat failing to catch Meteion is one specific example that has long standing implications on the plot since catching Meteion would cause the plot to end right there unless Hermes had a few spare Meteia in his proverbial back pocket. Furthermore, it is likely the most egregious case of someone failing when they honestly shouldn't from the protagonists side of the story. I will list some of the other cases below since there are quite a few I can name off of the top of my head.

    Some would argue the early loss against Ranjit in 5.0 was a case of contrived failure. Or, particularly more infuriating if you are a ranged class at the time, when Misija gives up control over Mikoto inside of the Bozja storyline, thereby opening themselves up to a ranged attack to neutralize her. Throwing Nidhogg's eyes off a bridge, while seemingly a good idea, ends up coming back haunt the protagonists later down the line. There are likely others, but none of these have the same consequences from contrived failure as what Venat's failure had.

    To me, these sorts of devices cause more plot contrivances than not and they tend to come at the expense of the story as a whole since then clarification is likely needed to explain why character X couldn't do action Y. It isn't per say a fault of Venat herself, it is more of a fault of the writers.
    (6)

  2. #9282
    Player
    Sayo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    60
    Character
    Sayo Toshimoto
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 98
    Quote Originally Posted by Carin-Eri View Post
    Same here. Whilst I gather it's generally a pretty popular part of the Endwalker story in most player's view, I hated it.

    I absolutely detest countdown timers and in this case I'll admit, it stressed me out. I'd have been fine if the same scenario had occurred without that damned timer but as it was I failed it the first time making stupid mistakes that I wouldn't have otherwise made.
    I didn't mind the timer so much as the way you're forced to interact with things in a specific order. And the quick time event at the end felt kinda cheap. I'm glad I was paying attention. But I also didn't really like how the situation was setup or how nothing came of it.
    (3)


    7,000 people on earth and I will protect them all.

  3. #9283
    Player
    Vyrerus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Interdimensional Rift
    Posts
    3,606
    Character
    Vicious Zvahl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayo_ View Post
    But I also didn't really like how the situation was setup or how nothing came of it.
    I know you're talking about In From The Cold, but this sentence really does apply to pretty much every major story beat in Endwalker for me.

    But also especially to that quest, because legitimately it was just a thing that happened. Zenos didn't use our body for anything other than a menacing stroll. We didn't seem to really learn anything by piloting the Garlean's body. There were no references or tie ins back to it, as of yet.

    Some theory crafting in and around the whole, "Soul Supply" section of Solution-9 does have some thinkers thinking, but theory crafting generally trends towards mostly inaccurate, given our writers'/devs' love of expectation subversion.
    (5)

    (Signature portrait by Amaipetisu)

    "I thought that my invincible power would hold the world captive, leaving me in a freedom undisturbed. Thus night and day I worked at the chain with huge fires and cruel hard strokes. When at last the work was done and the links were complete and unbreakable, I found that it held me in its grip." - Rabindranath Tagore

  4. #9284
    Player
    Swordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Posts
    511
    Character
    Last Starfighter
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyrerus View Post
    But also especially to that quest, because legitimately it was just a thing that happened. Zenos didn't use our body for anything other than a menacing stroll.
    Yeah, where the hell did that body switch ability come from? It's like the writers just threw that into the game to create some manufactured tension for the audience.
    (3)
    The Legends of the Titanmen lives on, a shining example of the power of compassion and the ability of people to make a difference in the world. A reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is always hope, as long as there are heroes like the Titanmen who dare to do good deeds in Eorzea.

  5. #9285
    Player
    Supersnow845's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Gridania
    Posts
    7,212
    Character
    Andreas Cestelle
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 100
    I have a story question that I’m not sure if it’s fully explained or not, well two questions in one sorta

    1) did the twelve get sundered, if yes where does their immense power come from and what about the shards of the 12, if no then my second question

    2) does deryk retain memories of the unsundered world

    (Half of me is genuinely curious the other half is trying to make my WOLxderyk headcanon world lore accurate)
    (1)

  6. #9286
    Player
    Carin-Eri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    Old Sharlayan
    Posts
    2,151
    Character
    Carin Eri
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersnow845 View Post
    I have a story question that I’m not sure if it’s fully explained or not, well two questions in one sorta

    1) did the twelve get sundered, if yes where does their immense power come from and what about the shards of the 12, if no then my second question

    2) does deryk retain memories of the unsundered world

    (Half of me is genuinely curious the other half is trying to make my WOLxderyk headcanon world lore accurate)
    Can only recall the answer to #1 - and that, I think, was that they were sundered in their Ancient forms but Hydaelyn used the souls of the relevant, sundered, Ancients as the 'core' for the reincarnated forms they took as members of the twelve.
    (0)

  7. #9287
    Player
    Sayo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    60
    Character
    Sayo Toshimoto
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 98
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyrerus View Post
    I know you're talking about In From The Cold, but this sentence really does apply to pretty much every major story beat in Endwalker for me.

    But also especially to that quest, because legitimately it was just a thing that happened. Zenos didn't use our body for anything other than a menacing stroll. We didn't seem to really learn anything by piloting the Garlean's body. There were no references or tie ins back to it, as of yet.
    Not only that, but I was really bothered by how we were just captured by Fandaniel. Like, if it were that easy why did the Ascians even have trouble with us to begin with?
    (4)


    7,000 people on earth and I will protect them all.

  8. #9288
    Player
    Sayo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    60
    Character
    Sayo Toshimoto
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 98
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    Yeah, where the hell did that body switch ability come from? It's like the writers just threw that into the game to create some manufactured tension for the audience.
    I think I can answer that one, but it's just a theory. Back during Ala Mhigo (the dungeon) one of the bosses rips your soul out of your body. So maybe it's just the next evolution of that?
    (3)


    7,000 people on earth and I will protect them all.

  9. #9289
    Player
    Absurdity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3,587
    Character
    Tiana Vestoria
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayo_ View Post
    Not only that, but I was really bothered by how we were just captured by Fandaniel. Like, if it were that easy why did the Ascians even have trouble with us to begin with?
    It's the Superman problem, we're always exactly as strong as the plot needs us to be...and utterly useless in cutscenes.
    (4)

  10. #9290
    Player
    Dikatis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    269
    Character
    Lleu Macnia
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    Yeah, where the hell did that body switch ability come from? It's like the writers just threw that into the game to create some manufactured tension for the audience.
    Anyone with sufficient mastery of the Echo can body hop. The Ascians, a Sahagin priest, and Minfilia all do it. Zenos does it unwittingly after giving himself an artificial Echo via the Resonance procedure in Stormblood in tandem with Aulus Asina's research into the soul, as shown when Aulus' machinery extracts it while he's fighting you at Ala Mhigo. Fandaniel retrieved his research (which was widespread enough for Misjia to use it to give herself the Resonance in Bozja) and used it to rip WoL's soul out for Zenos to inhabit the body.

    There was plenty of foreshadowing for this being a possibility. It didn't come out of nowhere like you're claiming.
    (3)

Page 929 of 942 FirstFirst ... 429 829 879 919 927 928 929 930 931 939 ... LastLast