Results 1 to 10 of 340

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Player
    hagare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,042
    Character
    Cesan Duff
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Packetdancer View Post
    Conversely, learning a fight without callouts at all can sometimes mean reading it as 'I go clockwise' and then dying, and someone just immediately starts the countdown again without any discussion after the wipe. Did you read it wrong? Did someone else read it wrong and kill you? Did the server just say 'nope', because this game's netcode is at best haunted and possibly outright cursed by some forgotten dark god? WHO KNOWS!
    at that point, I either consult the guide or I ask around NN or my LSs.
    My first assumption is that I did something wrong. And if after reviewing stuff it turned out that it was someone else's I just shrugged and carry on.
    And even after I do it right, I still find ways to refine and do it better without hindering other people.
    Like when you stack to bait fists and go to your spot, Instead of sprinting, if I'm on RPR I use Hell's ingress, on DRG I turn and use elusive. That way, I get to the end quickly and there's less chance of clipping.
    This also works for wall + circle aoe in EX4 because despite macro, people tend to stack a bit too close and would clip you after AoE so being able to port back instantly is a godsent. And the purple gate staying around also helps tell people where you'll port to
    (0)

  2. #2
    Player
    Packetdancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Gridania
    Posts
    1,948
    Character
    Khit Amariyo
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 100
    Quote Originally Posted by hagare View Post
    at that point, I either consult the guide or I ask around NN or my LSs.
    My first assumption is that I did something wrong. And if after reviewing stuff it turned out that it was someone else's I just shrugged and carry on.
    Sure, and I approach things similarly. And once you have that foundation of confidence, finding ways to optimize things -- be it your healing/mitigation strategy, or how to move most effectively for a given mechanic -- is half the fun of endgame content, for me.

    But if I look back to when I was a brand new shiny fresh-out-of-box raider who could barely find her ass in this game's endgame content with both hands and a map, I definitely know that at that time I lacked the confidence that I'd even be asking the right questions, much less that I'd necessarily be able to effectively make use of the answers. So as I took my first hesitant steps into savage (and often got immediately flattened), I know that I found callouts really useful as they gave me some added sanity-check on whether or not I was reading stuff correctly.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Packetdancer
    The healer main's struggle for pants is both real, and unending. Be strong, sister. #GiveUsMorePants2k20 #HealersNotRevealers #RandomOtherSleepDeprivedHashtagsHere
    I aim to make my posts engaging and entertaining, even when you might not agree with me. And failing that, I'll just be very, VERY wordy.

  3. #3
    Player
    hagare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,042
    Character
    Cesan Duff
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Packetdancer View Post
    Sure, and I approach things similarly. And once you have that foundation of confidence, finding ways to optimize things -- be it your healing/mitigation strategy, or how to move most effectively for a given mechanic -- is half the fun of endgame content, for me.

    But if I look back to when I was a brand new shiny fresh-out-of-box raider who could barely find her ass in this game's endgame content with both hands and a map, I definitely know that at that time I lacked the confidence that I'd even be asking the right questions, much less that I'd necessarily be able to effectively make use of the answers. So as I took my first hesitant steps into savage (and often got immediately flattened), I know that I found callouts really useful as they gave me some added sanity-check on whether or not I was reading stuff correctly.
    which is why I die practice die practice repeat ad infinitum.
    But you gotta be willing to take the first step and accept that you will fail a lot of times.
    and confidence, I still fear messing up when I do it xD
    (1)
    Last edited by hagare; 09-07-2022 at 03:13 PM.