Results 1 to 10 of 9558

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Player YukikoKurosawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    568
    Character
    Yukiko Kurosawa
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    One of the problems I have with trying to discuss criticisms with this game's writing in most places outside of here is that 99% of the people who dislike the story dislike it soley because they have to "read". Too many times do I see complaints from people who complain about the story, or streamers, does their complaint ultimately boil down to "too much reading, if it was fully voiced acted it'd be good tho". Ask them about any actual deeper criticisms and they'll just repeat "I hate having to read so much, I'd have no problem if it was voiced completely". I have seen people trash the story soley because of the reading involved then go on to praise GW2 because it's fully voice acted (this is despite the fact that GW2 is almost universally reviled for some of worst writing in MMOs, if not video game, history, and the voice acting is extremely cringe outside of a few talent actors like Steve Blum).

    People either really love the story without complaint, or hate it only because of the amount of reading involved. Those with actual serious, deep criticisms of the writing are very few and far between.

    However I think the problem lies with the fact that most people really only enjoy a story on an absolute surface level, so they do not actually care about deeper nuances in writing, and would never take issue with narrative flaws, inconsistent characterization, etc. Just give them le epic poggers moments, le funneh reddit meme humor, le super emotional moments and voice acting (don't you dare make them read) and they're most likely good and will look no deeper into a story. So naturally they will get filtered by a story that asks them to read but not a story with massive plot holes, horrendous moral lessons, characters acting inconsistently, etc.

    And, sadly, this is the criticism the devs are seeing primarily. So maybe we'll get more voice acting in the future, at least.
    (10)
    Last edited by YukikoKurosawa; 06-14-2022 at 11:20 AM.

  2. #2
    Player
    Brinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    498
    Character
    Raelle Brinn
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Yeah, EW is simultaneously my second favorite expansion after Shadowbringers, and my least favorite expansion. The parts I enjoyed and found compelling and well-written were still moreso than, again, anything except Shadowbringers, whereas the parts I disliked are the parts I probably most disliked in all of FFXIV and made me consider, for the first time ever, starting to skip cutscenes. It was, uh, sort of a stressful experience overall, in that way!

    I've always said that I don't think the "bad" aspects of it were done maliciously, and that's part of why I'm willing to talk about it on the much-maligned official forums - a very, very naive hope, especially for a product-based corporation like this, lmao, that perhaps if the writers understood what had happened and what they actually ended up writing, it might actually mean something to them, and they might course-correct. (And perhaps they are...? Omega Quests Good, Please Continue In This Direction)

    And for better or worse, I'm still talking about it and thinking about it actively, moreso, again, than any other expansion besides ShB - six months after the fact. Does that say more about me or the game? It Is A Mystery.
    (8)
    Last edited by Brinne; 06-14-2022 at 03:46 PM.

  3. #3
    Player
    Teraq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Amaurot
    Posts
    275
    Character
    Teraq Moks
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by CrownySuccubus View Post
    Zepla can think whatever she wants, since she never actually read the the thread and just looked at the title.
    Quote Originally Posted by YukikoKurosawa View Post
    One of the problems I have with trying to discuss criticisms with this game's writing in most places outside of here is that 99% of the people who dislike the story dislike it soley because they have to "read". Too many times do I see complaints from people who complain about the story, or streamers, does their complaint ultimately boil down to "too much reading, if it was fully voiced acted it'd be good tho". Ask them about any actual deeper criticisms and they'll just repeat "I hate having to read so much, I'd have no problem if it was voiced completely". I have seen people trash the story soley because of the reading involved then go on to praise GW2 because it's fully voice acted (this is despite the fact that GW2 is almost universally reviled for some of worst writing in MMOs, if not video game, history, and the voice acting is extremely cringe outside of a few talent actors like Steve Blum).
    The solution here, then, seems quite obvious to me...

    What's the point with that quite lackluster story in Endwalker? – A Dramatic reading: Part 1 of 105
    (13)

  4. #4
    Player
    aveyond-dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    2,305
    Character
    Fenris Pendragon
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Teraq View Post
    The solution here, then, seems quite obvious to me...

    What's the point with that quite lackluster story in Endwalker? – A Dramatic reading: Part 1 of 105
    If nothing else it would prove to be an entertaining stream. Though I imagine the current gushing over "Tweetingway" taking over the official FFXIV twitter today will probably take priority.
    (10)
    Авейонд-сны


  5. #5
    Player Theodric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10,051
    Character
    Kazuya Hagane
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by aveyond-dreams View Post
    If nothing else it would prove to be an entertaining stream. Though I imagine the current gushing over "Tweetingway" taking over the official FFXIV twitter today will probably take priority.
    It's a shame. As much as I think the presence of the Lopporits was poorly timed, I'm not afraid to admit that they're endearing and cute. Yet now because they're popular they're going to be milked until they become as unwelcome to me as 'forge ahead' and 'a smile better suits a hero' as Haurchefant is brought up yet again.

    As an aside, if the game is doing so well for itself then I wonder why the marketing team is so desperate to get the FFXIV tag trending at every possible turn? Even we say 'every business wants to make money' which is true, it isn't a good reflection of the game to push cutesy stuff and little else.

    I look at upcoming MMO's and they're showing off character models, weather effects, combat. The meat of their product rather than 'haHa funy joke1111'.
    (9)