Results 1 to 10 of 78

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Player
    Aurius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    53
    Character
    Aurius Rosnsathsyn
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    I'll play devil's advocate on this one and say if you plan to mt, or accept mt as your role, keep hate. That's not saying try to keep hate from tank stance tanks but keep it from me in ot stance. I did a labrynth run last night and went as pally. I turned sword oath on and went ham with my DPS rotations (lol) I stole hate on the final boss, twice. Not saying this was your circumstance, but I've seen this a few times.
    (0)

  2. #2
    Player
    Reila_Circus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    224
    Character
    Reila Circus
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Because of this, I really don't Tank 24-man raids unless theres adds around, or I'm the best geared out of the 3 tanks. I hate the aggro tug or war that most pug tanks will do (unless the boss has a tank swap mechanic theres no reason you should be voking.) Honestly, one of the main reasons I started tanking was to get away from terrible DF tanks.

    Though I do remember this one VA run I did, where I was tanking most the run, nothing different. All of a sudden the Paladin decided to run to final boss and tank him. "Alright." I thought. "I've been tanking most of the run, suppose I can DPS and take adds."

    Dies not even 10 seconds later ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    (0)
    Born to lose, Live to win.

    RIP Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister

  3. #3
    Player
    Jim_Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    1,595
    Character
    Jim Berry
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurius View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate on this one and say if you plan to mt, or accept mt as your role, keep hate. That's not saying try to keep hate from tank stance tanks but keep it from me in ot stance. I did a labrynth run last night and went as pally. I turned sword oath on and went ham with my DPS rotations (lol) I stole hate on the final boss, twice. Not saying this was your circumstance, but I've seen this a few times.
    Yeah, I'm generally good at keeping hate as I never drop my stance in the 24-man raids (waaaaaay too much dps coming in on the boss lol). That said, if I see you were in tank stance, or you Provoked (even with Shield Oath and you got the boss's attention), I'm dropping tank stance immediately.
    (0)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Nektulos-Tuor View Post
    My post reduces more damage then parry does.
    {http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3089119/}

  4. #4
    Player
    Kathyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    166
    Character
    Kathyz Dankworth
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    I remember one time a really low ilvl tank was "makin fun" of me because he steal the enemity from me 2 seconds... After use provoke. I mean i dont understand some people who want to show they are "better" and ruin the run in the process
    (3)

    I know my english its bad, don't bully me T_T.

  5. 04-04-2016 11:46 AM

  6. #6
    Player
    Nezkeys79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    51
    Character
    Nez Mcnezza
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60

    reply

    I also hate tanks that just immediately say "I'm MT" upon entering it just looks desperate. It's arrogant as fuck and winds me up if you are the other tank. Let's say I go "no I wanna be MT" it would be stupid so I just let them stroke their ego. What is wrong with communicating?...or if no chat then just whoever gets on it first is MT. Today on Good King Moogle this guy goes "I'm tanking the King" immediately upon enetering. I went "good for you have fun 1-2-3 boy" and everyone lol'd. I afkd the rest of the fight and received 5 commendations ><

    On a boss I was MT for about 10-15 seconds and the other pld approaches and uses provoke, and then proceeds to use it every time it's up because I was just above him constantly. I never said anything and assumed he would just switch to sword oath but he did say something..."ffs nez use sword oath you're making the aggro wonky". I replied "meh you used provoke against the boss I was already main tanking when no one else was anywhere close to pulling aggro and MT wasn't dead, and you keep using it lol". he replies "you don't even know how to off tank just quit". It's not like I think he doesn't know what provoke does either. I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what it does and just wanted to do his best to push me off MT. Rest of party starts to go "grabs popcorn" etc.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nezkeys79; 04-16-2016 at 07:15 AM.

  7. #7
    Player Yuni_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Gridania
    Posts
    278
    Character
    Yuni Captain
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezkeys79 View Post
    I also hate tanks that just immediately say "I'm MT" upon entering it just looks desperate.
    I believe that's what communication looks like. Using "Wanna MT?" is more polite, but if you want to MT very badly, how in your opinion it should look like, to do not hurt your pride? Beg for it? :P

    "I will MT if you don't mind" is also a possibility, however i suppose you would consider it desperate too?

    Also, there is nothing to be proud about AFKing whole fight. Even if you didn't like the other guy, you shouldn't punish whole party for it. The fact you got commends are only becuase your comment was funny. You shoudn't get any however, mind that.

    Secondly, You can't act like a jerk, when they act like that, cause you are becoming same as them. You should have switched stance upon voke and let the jerk struggle.

    Other players' bad tanking is not an excuse for you to act like them, or even worse.
    (1)
    Last edited by Yuni_Queen; 04-17-2016 at 10:10 PM. Reason: typo

  8. #8
    Player
    LilLemay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Gridania
    Posts
    158
    Character
    Emily Hunter
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Berry View Post
    Yeah, I'm generally good at keeping hate as I never drop my stance in the 24-man raids (waaaaaay too much dps coming in on the boss lol). That said, if I see you were in tank stance, or you Provoked (even with Shield Oath and you got the boss's attention), I'm dropping tank stance immediately.
    Normally I just stay in tank stance for the first 15% of the boss's health, spamming RoH combo until it hits 15% then i swap to sword oath and I've never lost aggro doing that
    (0)

  9. #9
    Player
    Odett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    636
    Character
    Odett Telos
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurius View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate on this one and say if you plan to mt, or accept mt as your role, keep hate. That's not saying try to keep hate from tank stance tanks but keep it from me in ot stance. I did a labrynth run last night and went as pally. I turned sword oath on and went ham with my DPS rotations (lol) I stole hate on the final boss, twice. Not saying this was your circumstance, but I've seen this a few times.
    If you're not on your tank stance and take enmity from the person MTing, yeah, they're probably doing something wrong. Your devil's advocate argument is a little flawed mostly because no tank worth their salt will constantly spam their enmity combo over and over again, because they have other combos that will help out the group more due to boosted DPS, damage mitigation/self-healing, and raid utility. Sometimes you'll get your agro stolen from you for a split second by that special DRK who lives and breathes the Power Slash combo, so you have to decrease your personal contribution to the group by a bit in order to keep enmity on a boss from someone reducing their damage by 20% and also using their weakest combo DPS and utility-wise. Of course, you could always say, "just be the bigger person and let babby main tank", but I personally refuse to let someone who's playing their job subpar triumph, so instead I'll make them feel frustrated that they can't take the boss off me.

    Quote Originally Posted by mosaicex View Post
    First world (aka NA and EU) problem.

    In JP datacenter for 8 man MT priority is PLD > DRK > WAR unless you have dupes in which case anything goes.
    For 24 man B Alliance tank always MT.
    that's a curious order, considering that a group more often than not benefits more from a PLD OT and a DRK MT, instead of the other way around.
    (3)
    Last edited by Odett; 04-04-2016 at 01:42 PM.