Results 1 to 10 of 57

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ru'Lude Gardens!
    Posts
    4,310
    In all honesty most of what you just said is based on the idea you have money before hand, which is fine, most do, but new players are unable to do much of what you said because they can not afford it, for instance the lv7 leather armor you mentioned, which is unaffordable even if you level just outside of your home country and NPC everything, which a new player is likely to do. This problem does not effect current players, but rather new players, and seeing as this game does need new players, it is quite the concern.
    (4)

  2. #2
    Player Xantavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Serpent General Wannabe
    Posts
    307
    Character
    Xantavia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    In all honesty most of what you just said is based on the idea you have money before hand, which is fine, most do, but new players are unable to do much of what you said because they can not afford it, for instance the lv7 leather armor you mentioned, which is unaffordable even if you level just outside of your home country and NPC everything, which a new player is likely to do. This problem does not effect current players, but rather new players, and seeing as this game does need new players, it is quite the concern.
    I have to disagree with this, since this is almost exactly what I did when I started a few years ago. I didn't know about the AH, never clicked on it, since I was thinking it would be like FF6 and 9 and i knew I didn't have a lot of gil to spend. Maybe I got lucky since I started in Windurst, but I farmed crawlers to make my money. 300 gil for turning in silk thread from crawlers. Got lucky every now and then with crawler calculus stones. The few times I ran into skeletons and got bone chips, turned them into bone hairpins (wind crystal + chip), then NPC'd them for like 120 gil.

    Yes, my way was slow, but I wasn't in any real rush. It could be that I am more patient than a lot of players, that I do the tedious grind and don't really care about rushing into endgame. Methods are out there if you are looking to build a slow and steady income instead of waiting for that one big windfall.
    (0)

  3. #3
    Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ru'Lude Gardens!
    Posts
    4,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    Yes, my way was slow, but I wasn't in any real rush. It could be that I am more patient than a lot of players, that I do the tedious grind and don't really care about rushing into endgame. Methods are out there if you are looking to build a slow and steady income instead of waiting for that one big windfall.
    How long did it take you to get to level 7? My friend went outside of Windy and hit level 7 in less than a hour during double XP, so normally you are looking at around a hour and a half. He was not rushing, but again, unless you run around the wiki for hours learning how to make money and what to do, you will end up to broke for things. I spent about 3 hours just farming up money for level 10 gear for his WAR and a Claymore, now hes on the real game and actually likes it cause I loaned him 100k to start him off, before he hated it.
    (1)

  4. #4
    Player Vagrua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    191
    Character
    Vagrua
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    How long did it take you to get to level 7? My friend went outside of Windy and hit level 7 in less than a hour during double XP, so normally you are looking at around a hour and a half. He was not rushing, but again, unless you run around the wiki for hours learning how to make money and what to do, you will end up to broke for things. I spent about 3 hours just farming up money for level 10 gear for his WAR and a Claymore, now hes on the real game and actually likes it cause I loaned him 100k to start him off, before he hated it.
    I was lucky enough to have someone loan me 20k when I first started to get me on my feet. Some moat carp fishing gave me most of my income when I first started the game. That small amount gil doesn't amount to much anymore considering end game gear is 1m+ for most useful items.

    You have to take your chances with either Voidwatch getting plates/cells to sell from shout groups or farm Dynamis/Limbus these days. The only other choices I can think of are mercing or if you have a linkshell, to farm ADL/PW for gil splits.
    (0)

  5. #5
    Player Rustic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    468
    Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    How long did it take you to get to level 7? My friend went outside of Windy and hit level 7 in less than a hour during double XP, so normally you are looking at around a hour and a half. He was not rushing, but again, unless you run around the wiki for hours learning how to make money and what to do, you will end up to broke for things. I spent about 3 hours just farming up money for level 10 gear for his WAR and a Claymore, now hes on the real game and actually likes it cause I loaned him 100k to start him off, before he hated it.
    Trial accounts are fundamentally non-functional for long periods of play at the same levels as a real one. Simple as that, or else we'd be sitting here with tons of RMT "trials" hosing everything in sight. I'm not surprised that his economic woes were there, if you wanted to have a character geared like a real one...handing him Gil the game system normally expects him to get via AH transactions was one of the few ways to do it.

    I've always found the most important thing to teach a new player IS the importance of the AH in the game. Without it, getting geared up is a difficult task (barring outside assistance). If a player's going past level 10? He's gonna need to be able to tap into that if he wants to actually gear up, or be very careful on what they hunt. A gobbie-and-crawler hunting newbie ends up with a ton more money than the same newbie that got leveled up rapid-fire on whacking bumblebees, because the vendor-sales + gil drops add up better.

    Unfortunately, if you gave trial players AH access, they'd just be turned by RMT into Gil-transfer mules. It's a catch-22.
    (1)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.