Character
    Caoin Sealgaire
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 59

Chocobo Dye Experimentation

Introduction
    Alright, so there's a R&D thread up for the new Chocobo Dyeing system, but there's not a lot of scientific method being applied in that particular thread. In light of that, the aim of this thread is to do controlled and organized experimentation with the help of the community. What this means is that anyone helping out with this is probably going to be spending a lot of time changing their bird's colors a little bit at a time and probably resetting the color with Han Lemons a lot as well. If you're willing to do this (and possibly spend a lot of gil to do it), I'd love to have help. Either way, I'm going to be doing the experiments I have in mind myself.

What I want to do is establish how the new fruits work. See if we can narrow down how they effect the color of a chocobo and what sort of factors are involved in the dyeing process. For this, I need people to help me feed birds in certain ways to establish baselines and sift through the current theories to find what works and what doesn't. From there we can work our way into establishing the best ways to obtain specific colors. As we go, I'll be updating the first post of this thread so that all of the pertinent information will be readily available in one spot.

My Response to Volunteers
    Thank you all for posting here and offering to help out with this project. If you're on Excalibur server, my charater name there is as listed in the side bar and you can contact me in game if you would like to help, but have no way of obtaining fruits. My only request if you do this is that you not request fruit randomly, but either help me with experiments that I'm running or set up an experiment of your own and record your findings here.

Information Gathering
    The type of information we're looking to gather includes which fruit is being fed, the order it's being fed in, at what point you get the two different messages (the one about the chocobo changing color and the one about growing new feathers), stable conditions, chocobo rank, and any other information you feel may be pertinent to our efforts. Additional information that you may wish to include is weather type and Eorzean time when you feed your chocobo.

Theory Relevant Posts
    This section is for posts that specifically propose theories or discuss proposed theories in a way that may be relevant to setting up experiments.

Personal Experiments
    Experiment #01
    I was forced to disable the comments feature due to trolling. If you have any comments, please post here.

For my first experiment, I wanted to use one food and see what color my bird would come to first by feeding it until I got the "<name> is beginning to grow new feathers!" message. I then wanted to use the fruit of the opposite effect to try and take my bird back to Desert Yellow. I started by feeding my bird Doman Plums (Lightens Red hues) until I got the "<name> is beginning to grow new feathers!" message. It took 5 Plums to get this message and the result was a Sylph Green bird. I then tried to get my bird back to the base Desert Yellow by feeding him Xelphatol Apples (Deepens Red hues), it took only one apple to get the "<name> is beginning to grow new feathers!" message, and the result was Desert Yellow. My bird is Rank 8 and the stable conditions were Good.

I want to try this experiment with each of the fruits and attempt to duplicate them on my own bird. I would also like to have people attempt to duplicate this on their birds to see if we get the same results.

Findings: It took 5 Plums to get my bird to Sylph Green, but only one Apple to get him back to Desert Yellow. Why a much lower number of apples to go back to Desert Yellow?

Updates: While waiting for lemons to grow, I pushed my bird's color back to Sylph Green with a plum and then fed it more plums until the next time I got the message about growing new feathers. I ended up with Snow White.

Current Experiments
    Links to posts for people currently conducting experiments. If you want to use a post to log an experiment, please put at the top of the post a title in BOLD ALL CAPS lettering. I will then know to add a link to that post here. Under the title, please include a short description of what you're trying to test with your experiment.

• Change of Color With Fewest Fruit
      Experiment Run By: Sadana
      Description: Counting messages to see if those are the important thing to keep track of.
      Volunteer Status: Needed. See the experiment post for details.
      Volunteers: Laveah
    • Soot Black
      Experiment Run By: Dirk
      Description: Attempts to get Soot Black color. Link to spreadsheet included in post.
    • Snow White
      Experiment Run By: Aldora
      Description: Attempts to get Snow White Color.
    • O'Ghomoro Berries
      Experiment Run By: Haelse Mikiro
      Description: Determine if # of snacks matter, or number 'growing feathers' messages.
    • Soot Black
      Experiment Run By: Mishini_Dracoto
      Description: Attempt to get to Soot Black.
    • Abyssal Blue
      Experiment Run By: Tha_Dede
      Description: Attempts to get to Abyssal Blue.
    • Xelphatol Apples
      Experiment Rub By: AttacKat
      Description: Trying to chart the different colors produced using just the Xelphatol Apple. Secondary objective is try and discover any pattern in RGB value changes.
    • Soot Black
      Experiment Run By: Dirk
      Description: Attempts to get Soot Black color with only darkening fruits. Link to spreadsheet included in post.
    • Apples to Red
      Experiment Run By: Ravenloft
      Description: Using apples to get to the red colors.
    • Data Gathering
      Experiment Run By: LyricalMelody
      Description: Gathering date on single-step color changes.
    • Lotus Pink
      Experiment Run By: Moqi
      Description: Desert Yellow to Lotus Pink
    • O'Ghomoro Berries
      Experiment Run By: Erendis
      Description: Feeding berries until the "growing feathers" message and finding colors obtained through the use of berries.
    • Single/Multi-Step Color Changes
      Experiment Run By: KioriBug
      Description: Single step, and multistep color changes involving one Snack Fruit at a time.
    • Step by Step Color Changes
      Experiment Run By: Gamina
      Description: Feeding one type of fruit until feather proc.

Proposed Experiments
    Space to jot down notes on proposed experiments that aren't currently being looked into, but that need to be looked into.

Needed Items or Ways to Help
    >Provisions
    Interested in helping the efforts made here to decipher the mysteries of Chocobo Coloring, but don't want to take the time to perform your own experiments? That's perfectly fine. If you're on the Excalibur server, you can help out by providing me with any extra fruits, Grade 3 Shroud Soil, or Fishmeal you may be able to spare. It'll help me to grow my own fruit and to speed up experiments. I'm working out of a small Free Company with an 8-slot Garden Bed, so I can only grow so much of my own fruit at once. You can send me a /tell in game. If you're need of resources, I can try to help you out, but again, I'm working with my own limited supply at the moment, but send me a /tell and I'll see what I can do.

If any of you would like to volunteer to help provide resources for people on other servers, please feel free to post here and let us know. If you need resources and you're on a different server, please post here and let us know. We'll see if we can connect people doing the experiments with people who can help to provide the resources. If you're offering resources or in need of resources please post in BOLD ALL CAPS at the top of your post either PROVIDING RESOURCES or NEED RESOURCES. Include in the post the following information: the type/number of resources you are willing to provide or need, your server, the best way/time to contact you in game, and (if you are providing resources) any stipulations you would like to make on providing these resources. Stipulations could include whether you're willing to provide them free of charge, at a discount of the Market Board price, or for full value.

Resource Providers
    • Provider: Oliver Beelzie
      Server: Diabolos
      Details: Post #350

>Volunteers
    If you need volunteers to test things, make a post with VOLUNTEERS NEEDED at the top in BOLD ALL CAPS. Include details of how many volunteers you need and what you need each volunteer to do. Include your server as well, that way we can try to match you up with volunteers from your server to make communication easier. If you're interested in volunteering to help with an experiment that needs volunteers, make a post with VOLUNTEER at the top in BOLD ALL CAPS. Include a link to the volunteer request you wish to respond to or state you are willing to volunteer for any experiment that needs volunteers. For those who don't know how to get the URL for specific posts, you do this by look at the post, in the top right corner (in the darker bar that lists the timestamp for the post) there is a post #. Click that number and it will reload the page and change the URL in your browser url bar to the link for the specific post. You can then add the link using the button to do so when posting.

Open Volunteer Requests

Available Volunteers

Relevant Links
    Lodestone Forum Threads
    • Chocobo Dye R&D Thread - Post your results here!: This is the first thread that gained popularity in regards to posting results from dyeing chocobos. There's a lot of information scattered throughout the thread and most of the results that were obtained weren't recorded in a way that makes it so they can be properly duplicated, but it's information none the less.
    • Chocobo Dye - The Missing Manual: Started by Syrehn, this thread has information on one of the more popular theories on how the system works. Her theory (from what I've seen) has generated pretty accurate results when used. Or as accurate as one can get if RNG is indeed involved.
    • Mapping Out Chocobo Dye: Started by Snootles, this is a thread linking to a google spreadsheet and form so that she can gather data as well. Can never have too much data, right?

Off-Site Links
    • FFXIV Chocobo Colors: This is the first spreadsheet that popped up to list possible fruit combos to obtain colors. A lot of the data listed is inaccurate, since numerous people have tried a lot of the combos only to obtain different colors. However, some of the methods of obtaining certain colors are worth experimenting with. Please, please do not become dependent on this chart when trying to obtain certain colors. I wish to reiterate that a lot of the data is just as likely to result in a different color from the one you're trying to acheive.
    • FFXIV Chocobo Resource: Sol Aureus is setting up a thread on Chocobo raising in general, but will be keeping track of a lot of information in regards to the topic of dyeing birds. I am planning to work with him to help him with his project.
    • Chocobo Dye List: A list made by Crankysorc of feedings that were used to obtain specific colors, based on when the message about growing new feathers was obtained.
    • Chocobo Color Mapping/Planner: This is a project being worked on by LyricalMelody. Please read the information at the top of the spreadsheet and remember that none of this is an exact science, so you may get a different result than the ones listed. If you have relevant information that you can submit, please do so, so that LyricalMelody can make her planner as comprehensive as possible.
    • RGB Value Chart: Much like the original spreadsheet that popped up, this chart has RGB values for the chocobo dyes, but with the values in increments of 8. This chart was made by AttacKat.
    • Color Planner: A google spreadsheet set up by Loony_BoB. It is designed to help you plot out how to get from one color to another by choosing the starting color and the finishing color from the drop down menu and referencing the values that it provides. Note that multiple people attempting to change the dropdown menus might make it hard for you to get your values, since only one person can have their information up at a time.
    • Chocobo Color Predictions: A spreadsheet put together by Boomerz to help people predict and map out coloring. Follow the link in Boomerz post to get the spreadsheet.

Graphic/Visual Based Charts
    • Chocobo Dye Map: Image made by Alinah. Maps the possible steps to reach many colors.
    • Chocobo Dye Map: Image made by Gilgameshkun, maps the possible steps to reach many colors.
    (11)
    Last edited by Jayne422; 08-30-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Player
    Character
    Valia Rosa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 65
    Attempt: Change of color with fewest fruit.
    CLOSED (others have moved past me and diagrams are awesome. )

I am still updating my personal dye experiments under the Sunflower & Chickyboo boxes.

Possible 'pathways'
    Plums (every step stops with first "feathers" msg. Starts w/ Desert Yellow) Thanks to Lavaeh!
    Sylph Green (or possibly Cream Yellow? thanks to Zerani OnO)
    Snow White
    Ice Blue
    Celeste Green

Apples (every step stops with first "feathers" msg. Starts w/ Desert Yellow)
    Millioncorn Yellow
    Pumpkin Orange
    Sunset Orange
    Blood Red

Pineapples (every step stops with first "feathers" msg. Starts w/ Desert Yellow)
    Honey Yellow

Valfruit (every step stops with first "feathers" msg. Starts w/ Desert Yellow) thanks to Shoki
    Salmon Pink
    Rose Pink
    Coral Pink
    Colibri Pink

Berries (every step stops with first "feathers" msg. Starts w/ Desert Yellow) thanks to Erendis & Geda
    (Cork Brown?)
    Ul Brown
    (Aldgoat Brown?)
    Gobbiebag Brown
    Shale Brown
    (Lilac Purple?)
    Goobbue Grey
    (Lavender Blue?)

Links to entries that include chat log: (at least in some format)
    Rose Pink
    Snow White Not exactly chat log, but she is clear
    Lavender Purple (may be translation error, should be Lav. Blue?) Again, no log, accurate count.
    Sylph Green No log, hopefully she meant she stopped upon receiving "feathers" message. eta: Even better, she lists 3 birds that tried the Plums up to the feather message, stopped, and got Sylph Green! Oh, haha, it's Jayne422's (OP) birds. XD
    Sylph Green 2 No log, feedings with messages rec'd. Note: Also only one feathers message with plums. XD It's Lavaeh's bird.
    Sylph Green 3 Y'all get the idea One 'feathers' with plums = Sylph Green.
    Othard Blue Not able to tell how many fruits 'counted'
    Othard Blue 2 Again, high number of messages. Not sure how many 'matter'.
    Apple Green to Cactaur Green Unfortunately, she did not count messages to get to Apple Green
    Coral Pink
    Pumpkin Orange Message count only
    Cork Brown

NO CHANGE (Desert Yellow) General count Dunno, may be important...

No "feathers" = no change. The "feathers" message does seem to be a RNG proc. Many have reported feeding their birds several to well over a dozen fruit without ever seeing that message (and no change). I've been there myself, I feel your pain. ; ;

Sunflower test subject (now with pics!):
    12:05 Sunflower devours the Xelphatol apple.
    12:05 Sunflower's plumage will change in 6 hours
    12:06 Sunflower devours the Xelphatol apple.
    12:06 Sunflower is beginning to grow new feathers!
    12:06 Sunflower's plumage will change in 5 hours and 59 minutes.
    12:06 Sunflower devours the Xelphatol apple.
    12:06 Sunflower is beginning to grow new feathers!
    12:06 Sunflower's plumage will change in 5 hours and 59 minutes.

eta: result Millioncorn Yellow

8/22 12:08: Just frustrated myself by feeding my bird more apples. I expected the "feathers" message after 2 or 3 but never got it. >: (
    My bird is Millioncorn Yellow currently.
    12:04 Sunflower devours the Xelphatol apple.
    12:04 Sunflower's plumage will change in 6 hours
    12:04 Sunflower devours the Xelphatol apple.
    What a waste. Will check at 6 for any change in color. If not, then we can probably rule out the "plumage" message as important.

Result: No change

8/23
    2:07 Sunflower devours the Xelphatol apple.
    2:07 Sunflower's plumage will change in 6 hours.
    2:07 Sunflower devours the Xelphatol apple.
    2:08 Sunflower devours the Xelphatol apple.
    2:08 Sunflower devours the Xelphatol apple.
    2:08 Sunflower is beginning to grow new feathers!
    2:08 Sunflower's plumage will change in 5 hours and 59 minutes.

Result: Pumpkin Orange

4th feeding: 10 T_T apples to proc.
    Result: Sunset Orange

5th feeding: I'll have to check for number of apples.
    Result: Blood Red (at least this path is going as expected.)

6th feeding: Berries to proc.
    Result: Dalamud Red

Sunflower at desired color

Chickyboo test subject (now with pics!):
    No time stamp, sadly
    Chickyboo devours the Doman plum.
    Chickyboo's plumage will change in 6 hours.
    Chickyboo is beginning to grow new feathers!
    Chickyboo's plumage will change in 5 hours and 59 minutes.
    Result: Sylph Green

8/23
    15:00 Chickyboo devours the Doman plum.
    15:00 Chickyboo devours the Doman plum.
    15:01 Chickyboo devours the Doman plum.
    15:02 Chickyboo devours the Doman plum.
    15:02 Chickyboo is beginning to grow new feathers!
    15:02 Chickyboo's plumage will change in 5 hours and 57 minutes.
    Result: Snow White (I'm having a 'huh?' moment. I didn't expect to arrive at white that fast. Others get the same in two steps of plums?)

3rd feeding: I fed Chickyboo 3 berries to the proc message and looped back to Sylph Green. :/ That doesn't make much sense. Will post more tomorrow.

4th feeding: Fed 2 berries and got message. Will see what I end up with tomorrow.
    Result: Celeste Green. :/

5th feeding: Fed 5 berries to message.
    Result: Sky Blue

6th feeding: Fed 1 pineapple and got message.
    Result: Celeste Green. le sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Laveah View Post
    I put a post on reddit linking this thread. hopefully we can get volunteers to only use 1 fruit so we can try to see how each fruit actually works.
    Problem is that everyone, thus far, who used one fruit only got no change. Member of my FC used 2 of the same fruit consecutively (6 hours apart) with no change in color.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyntix View Post
    Feeding 1 berry @ Lilac Purple gave me Lavender Purple. I assume this a translation error then? There is no dye called Lavender Purple. It's called Lavender Blue as a dye.

EDIT: Fed the chocobo 1 berry and got the growing new plumage message.
    (copied from R&D thread)
    So one MAY be enough. What I'm waiting to see is how often this happens and if anyone gets it on their first ever fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyalia View Post
    My current theory on why an equal number of feedings does not result in the same plumage: There is RNG involved in whether or not a given feeding counts (or a random amount of color is affected, which is the same thing really). When you get the "New Feathers" message, you've hit a new color. So, starting from Desert Yellow, no matter how many Berries you give your choco, if you stop after the first "New Feathers" (not Plumage, New Feathers, they're different messages!), your chocobo will switch to Ui Brown. Then, from Ui Brown, feeding berries until you get the "New Feathers" message means your choco will switch to Aldgoat Brown.

However, in that first feeding session, you did not have to stop after the "New Feathers" message. If you kept feeding the choco Berries, every new feeding would result in the "New Feathers" message appearing again because the color is already queued to change. But, there is still only a random chance that the Berry will count. What this means is, after the first message, you have no idea if the snacks you feed your choco had any effect or not, but there is a chance that they did and a chance that they didn't.

If I'm right, then while feeding your a ton of snacks all at once can get you a cool color instantly, it's very random if you'll get what you want or not. To guarantee the color, you will have to stop after each "New Feathers" message, wait 6 hours, and then do the next food. It isn't that the other food is wasted, it's that you do not know if it counted or not.
    This makes perfect sense and explains why some people can 'skip' colors in one sitting. I will say that, if you don't want to waste fruit, it is the best idea to stop feeding with every "feathers" message. It could potentially take more time, of course.

I'm going to strongly wish/encourage SE to remove the first message of "plumage will change in 6 hours" because we have all discovered the bird's plumage does not, in fact, change. Instead, only show this message after the color change is actually enacted/proced.
    (1)
    Last edited by Sadana; 09-09-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 50
    Copy Paste over from R&D:

I've currently colored my chocobo to Lavender Purple after two sessions:

Session #1

* Stable: Good condition.
    * Fed Bird 10 O'Ghomoro Berries and received the "starts to grow new feathers" message 7 times.
    * This session gave me a Shale Brown Chocobo.

Session #2

* Stable: Good condition.
    * Fed Bird 10 more O'Ghomoro Berries and received the "starts to grow new feathers" message 10 times.
    * This session gave me a Lavender Purple (Blue) Chocobo.

There's no reason for the the two people who reported getting Raptor Blue and Othard Blue from 21 O'Ghomoro Berries to lie. So some form of RNG is definitely involved. It's interesting to note that three people who reported in after 12 and 11 O'Ghomoro Berry feeds got Goobbue Grey, Gobbiebag Brown and Lilac Purple respectively. If you include the Shale Brown from my first session it would seem that just feeding a couple of Berries alone brings the color down the light grey/brown scale, if there is one. However, the problem lies in the fact that none of these people reported how many times they received a plumage message, would might be a control factor.

Edit: Ul Brown is also documented on that chart after 3, 4, and 7 O'Ghomoro Berry feeds; this is also a Light Brown color.
    (3)
    Last edited by ZReport; 08-22-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Player
    Character
    Y'ziya Osais
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 60

EXPERIMENT; SOOT BLACK w/Spreadsheet

Since I'm not entirely sure most folks will do it this way, I want to help out a bit! My other post contained a lot more of the data, I'll just readily copy it and paste it over. My sessions for Dyeing are only containing 2-3 types of fruit/berries, in small amounts, to try and shift towards the color I want.

But this is a fantastic idea! (Will include variables of stable cleanliness, even though I don't think that has anything to do with it.)

1st 6hr Period // Stable: Fair
    Fed 1xDoman Plum, did not receive any message of "... growing new feathers!"
    Waited.
    2nd 6hr Period // Stable: Good
    Fed 3xValfruit, received message of "... growing new feathers!"
    Waited.
    Chocobo ended up being Salmon Pink!
    3rd 6hr Period // Stable : Good
    Fed 1xPineapple (received message), 1xValfruit (received message), and 9xDoman Plum (received message).
    Waited.
    Chocobo ended up being Bone White!
    I did not alternate any of the snacks, posted them as the order I fed them to my chocobo.

[Edit #1 ]
    4th 6hr Period // Stable : Good
    Fed 4xPineapple (received message), 1Valfruit (received message), and 3xDoman Plum (received message).
    Result: Snow White.

5th 6hr Period // Stable : Good
    Fed 5xXelphatol Apples, received message of "growing new feathers!" every single apple fed.
    Result: ....

Going to try and shift the scale and see how it goes.
    [ Edit #2 ]
    Sorry for the multiple edits!! I'm going to start a spreadsheet for my personal go with Soot Black, will contain all the actual in game messages instead of just the "growing new feathers!" messages I've listed here! Hope this is okay! If I can manage it, maybe I can draw a spread sheet for all the individual color schemes we're aiming for for each individual session of experimenting! Also, going to toss in my Chocobo's information at the same time on the spreadsheet.

You guys rock!

Spreadsheet for [SOOT BLACK] Started Here!

[Edit #3]
    Updated with Title to post, also wanted to note I'm going with the "RGB Theory" of colors listed from our previous thread of results! Not sure if this is accurate, but wanted to note that's what I'm looking for! Also, if anyone is on Exodus, my character name is listed over there in the sidebar and you're welcome to forward me results as well! I can do my best to help out with snacks for experiments also!!

[Edit #5]

So, my theory backfired in my face. So we're going to adjust the variables and try again.

I don't feel so inclined as to say that I wasn't originally gunning for Snow White, because in truth I was. But I had figured when I started that I'd botched up my fruit process, so instead I've achieved what I wanted while losing what I was experimenting with. Going to adjust and either add more Lightening Snacks, or going to go after darker ones and simply hope it doesn't catapult me into the next bracket for color. Which, it might. Since I launched myself in that direction unknowingly.

I may simply just try a few more of the Lightening Snacks in an attempt to see if I can get something "more white", or if it'll just stay the same. A gamble none the less, but willing to try it for the sake of data. I don't feel inclined to just resetting, because I want to see just how many colors I can achieve with adjusting slightly. Will update with what I can find. Because I'd really prefer Soot Black now that I've been trying to adjust for it.

I'm in the right end of the bracket, at least, but that doesn't mean anything if I have to shift in the opposite end of the color spectrum.
    (3)
    Last edited by Dirk; 08-23-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Player
    Character
    Levaeh Loha
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    I can help as much as my gil will allow me to so far I've used only one type of fruit each 6hr feeding. I've fed them at the start of the 6hr period and kept going till I got the new feathers growing message. If the price of the lemon goes down on my server I can start over and just continually use one fruit to do that experiment if needed.

Copy & paste from R&D
    1st 6hr feeding - all plums /stable good
    1st feed - plumage will change in 6hrs
    2nd,3rd & 4th feed - just said devoured
    5th feed - new feathers growing
    after 6hrs Result was sylph green

started 2nd 6hr feeding was only valfruit / stable good
    1st feed - plumage will change in 6hrs
    2nd & 3rd feed - just said devoured
    4th feed - growing new feathers.
    results: Salmon Pink
    (1)
    Last edited by Laveah; 08-23-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Player
    Character
    C'rysta Zeith
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70

EXPERIMENT: SNOW WHITE, TEST SUBJECT: KWEHZACOTL

I'll update my progress here.

To see what the the different colors look like, i'll be keeping track of the colors i see in the following IMGUR Album:
    http://imgur.com/a/ggRJU

Actions/Attempts taken to get the Snow White Chocobo:

1st Attempt

Starting color: Desert Yellow.
    Chocobo Rank: 8
    Stables: Good
    Feed: 4x Cieldalaes Pineapple
    • 1st Feed - “Chocobo's plumage will change in 6 hours.”
    • 2nd Feed - “Chocobo devours the Cieldalaes Pineapple.”
    • 3rd Feed - “Chocobo devours the Cieldalaes Pineapple.”
    • 4th Feed - “Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”
    Result: Honey Yellow

2nd Attempt

Starting color: Honey Yellow.
    Feed: 6x Cieldalaes Pineapple
    • 4th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Cieldalaes Pineapple.”
    • 5th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Cieldalaes Pineapple.”
    • 6th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Cieldalaes Pineapple.”
    Result: It appears that he doesn't accept any more Pineapples. So, Let's add in another color.
    Edit: the Chocobo snacks are 15k each on the marketboards. I can't afford that for testing out colors. (^_^; ) I'll have to do some gardening in order to get more snacks.

Update on the 2nd Attempt:

Starting color: Honey Yellow.
    Feed: 6x Doman Plume
    • 7th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plume.”
    • 8th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plume.”
    • 9th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plume.”
    • 10th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plume.”
    • 11th Feed - “Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”
    • 12th Feed - “Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”
    Result: Cream Yellow

3rd Attempt

Starting color: Cream Yellow.
    Feed: 8x Valfruit
    • 2nd Feed - “Chocobo devours the Valfruit.”
    • 3rd Feed - “Chocobo devours the Valfruit.”
    • 4th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Valfruit.”
    • 5th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Valfruit.”
    • 6th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Valfruit.”
    • 7th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Valfruit.”
    • 8th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Valfruit.”
    Result: It appears that he doesn't accept any Valfruit at this stage. So, Let's add in another color.

Ok, i've been talking and theorizing about the way the coloring works and how you can use math in order to direct your chocobo to a certain color. I'm trying out the following attempt so see if what we're thinking is true or at least close to it.

The theory is this: Every feed adds or subtracts from the given RGB value by a certain amount. My friend believes that each fruit adds or subtracts a value of 16 to the given color (with a little bit of variation to it) and rounding it up/down when it hits a predefined color. We've decided to test this by calculating the difference between the current and the target color and divide it by 16 to get an estimate amount of items you would need for that certain color.

So, the aim with this experiment is to go to Snow White. My Chocobo is currently Cream Yellow. If we take a look at the RGB values of those colors, it will look like this:

Cream Yellow:
    • R: 241
    • G: 212
    • B: 105

Snow White:
    • R: 226
    • G: 221
    • B: 205

The difference between Cream Yellow and Snow White are:
    • R: 15
    • G: -9
    • B: 100

The biggest difference is the blue stat. If we use the theory as mentioned above, i would need a little over 6 O'Ghomoro Berries to get close to Snow White.

I've taken out my Chocobo to reset the progress back to what it was after the 2nd Attempt before doing the following actions:

Feed: 1x Mamook Pear, 7x O'Ghomoro Berry
    • 1st Feed - “Chocobo devours the Mamook Pear. Chocobo's plumage will change in 6 hours.”
    • 2nd Feed - “Chocobo devours the O'Ghomoro Berry.”
    • 3rd Feed - “Chocobo devours the O'Ghomoro Berry.”
    • 4th Feed - “Chocobo devours the O'Ghomoro Berry.”
    • 5th Feed - “Chocobo devours the O'Ghomoro Berry.”
    • 6th Feed - “Chocobo devours the O'Ghomoro Berry.”
    • 7th Feed - “Chocobo devours the O'Ghomoro Berry.”
    • 8th Feed - “Chocobo devours the O'Ghomoro Berry. Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”

I got the message that my chocobo is going to change color when i added the 7th O'Ghomoro Berry. Let's wait for the result. (^_^ ) /excited.

Result: Ok, this is interesting. He turned Lime Green. Which is R:166, G:171, B:77.

4th Attempt

I've decided to test out the steps that Xethy posted in post #130

The only difference i will be doing is attempting to reproduce it with 1 less Doman Plum. So, here we go:

Starting color: Desert Yellow (Resetted the color by using 1 Han Lemon. The Chocobo will reset immediately).
    Feed: 5x Doman Plum
    • 1st Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum. Chocobo's plumage will change in 6 hours.”
    • 2nd Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum.”
    • 3rd Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum.”
    • 4th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum.”
    • 5th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum. Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”
    Result: Cream Yellow

5th Attempt

Feed: 3x Doman Plum
    • 1st Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum. Chocobo's plumage will change in 6 hours. Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”
    • 3rd Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum. Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”
    Result: Sylph Green. Hmmm.... I hope i didn't overshoot the Bone White. Let's see what the next attempt will bring.

6th Attempt

Starting color: Sylph Green.
    Feed: 6x Doman Plum
    • 1st Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum. Chocobo's plumage will change in 6 hours. Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”
    • 3rd Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum.”
    • 4th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum.”
    • 5th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum.”
    • 6th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Doman Plum. Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”
    Result: Snow White!

There we go, after 6 attempts, i managed to get the Snow White color! Yay! \(^_^ )/ Which in this case cost me 14 Doman Plums with 4 "Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!" message over the course of 3 feedings. Since this route was followed by several people with which they managed to get the Snow White color as well, we can try and figure out how we actually got to that point.

I've update the IMGUR album as well.

7th Attempt

I saw the Snow White Chocobo and it's a lovely color, but i was a little bit sad about the grey feather tips, so i wanted to see what Bone White would look like. So, i decided to test of i could get to Bone White from Snow White, by adding a few Cieldalaes Pineapples.

So, here we go. (^_^ )/

Starting color: Snow White.
    Feed: Feed: 4x Cieldalaes Pineapple
    • 1st Feed - “Chocobo devours the Cieldalaes Pineapple. Chocobo's plumage will change in 6 hours.”
    • 4th Feed - “Chocobo devours the Cieldalaes Pineapple. Chocobo is beginning to grow new feathers!”
    Result: Bone White! \(^_^ )/
    (7)
    Last edited by Aldora; 08-26-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Player
    Character
    Percyphanie Tottomha
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    Thank for making this thread OP... I think the other thread is hopelessly lost in 'the spreadsheet'. Glad to see someone looking for actual results.

It would be great to update 1st post (or create your own spreadsheet... scary thought) showing the results in an easy to read format.

Thanks again.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Una Stardancer
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 60
    From my post in the other thread.

I'm starting to think it depends on what fruit you start with and then it adjusts along that scale... Once I have my fruit I'm going to try feeding apples (darken red) first and see if that doesn't get me where I need to go.

To clarify saying darken red fruit - get message - okay we're on the red scale, (feathers message) darken the red, (feathers message) darken the red, (feathers message) darken the red - lighten green fruit - okay lets take some green from that red - (feathers message) lighten the green, (feathers message) lighten the green, (feathers message) lighten the green - darken blue fruit - okay lets add some blue to that red - (feathers message) darken the blue, (feathers message) darken the blue, (feathers message) darken the blue - result

I hope that makes sense.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Caoin Sealgaire
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Percyphanie View Post
    It would be great to update 1st post (or create your own spreadsheet... scary thought) showing the results in an easy to read format.

Thanks again.
    It's not a problem. I wasn't seeing much headway coming from the other thread as far as getting clear definition of the way the system works. As far as creating a spreadsheet and updating the 1st post, I'm working on that as well. I'm in the process of setting up a spreadsheet on Google Drive right now. I may have to do a few different spreadsheets, because I want one where I can keep track of data that's coming in that other people can't edit (so we don't get people fudging things to throw us off), but I also want to set up one where I can set up some sort of format that people can copy/paste and keep track of their own results or add data to joint projects.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Levaeh Loha
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    I put a post on reddit linking this thread. hopefully we can get volunteers to only use 1 fruit so we can try to see how each fruit actually works.
    (2)

Page 1 of 80 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast