Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90

New Yoshitaka Amano CE Artwork

We all loved the Garuda artwork on the CE so much that we came here to ask the name and discuss it. Let's do that again with the new one.

At the bottom, we see Bard, Dragoon, White Mage, Warrior, Paladin, Monk, Summoner, and Black Mage. (No Scholar. Big hint for people to give that one up?) Above that we see Gaius and Bahamut opposing one another over the mother crystal, which is being overseen by, or perhaps manifested as, ...

SIREN!?
    BOW DOWN, FOR I AM YOUR LORE PROPHET.

(Kidding.)

It could very well just be Garuda again, however, Garuda's artwork had four head wings and this only has two; Garuda's had feathery shoulders and hers are bare; and Garuda is small potatoes these days. Thing is, Siren usually has her head wings in an upward point in contemporary representations. Does the consciousness of Hydaelyn manifest as a third woman with head wings?

Are you guys trolling me?

(13)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 05-24-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I think the lady is just a humanoid manifestation of Hydaelyn. The bottom of course are the "Warriors of Light" with Bahamut to the right and Gaius to the left. Was trying to figure out what that was that looked so weird about Gaius but I guess it's a cape.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Myranda Al'cyoene
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Heh, I was wondering when this thread would show up. Definitely some Siren undertones in the image. :P

But now I also see something on the original CE's artwork... is that... the darklight gear??
    (0)
    Check out my Eorzean fonts! - Twitter: @MyrandaFFXIV
    http://dachoutom.no-ip.org/ffxiv/fonts.html
    The Astronomical Society of Eorzea!
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142965-The-Astronomical-Society-of-Eorzea

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Myranda View Post
    Is that... the darklight gear??
    It's similar, but a good case against it would be that he has a sword and shield and isn't wearing that two-piece tank armor with the head blades. I'm actually getting kind of an Ark Angel vibe off it.
    (0)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Mementus Veventus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    She lacks the talons on the wings if she is Siren. If it's any Summon at all, my guess going by the halo + wings is; it is an angel? so Seraph?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    I think its the "Mother Crystal" or Hydaelyn, and the Warriors of Light are leaving her protection after a 5 year stasis. That's how I interpreted the image anyway
    (2)
    Meow

Player
    Character
    Luca Abbot
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    That's Gaius? It looked like Odin to me at first glance. But now that I look at it, it does look like him.

Also, I hope to God they'll actually address the whole Scholar thing soon. It's gotten out of hand.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Thal's Balls! These forums are hot enough to melt an ice goddess.

Player
    Character
    Isagael Rose
    World
    Sagittarius
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilhem View Post
    I think its the "Mother Crystal" or Hydaelyn, and the Warriors of Light are leaving her protection after a 5 year stasis. That's how I interpreted the image anyway
    Agreed.

I see the being in the artwork as a protector as well. And if she is the 'Mother Crystal'/Hydaelyn, that would make sense.

Mothers are know for being protective...but sometimes, that protection is highly violent. But I see no violence in that image, only protection. She might actually be part of the storyline that explains how we got 'ported to the future' unscathed. I see it being more likely that she is tied into the 'how we got to this point of the story/world history' than anything else atm. Of course, down the road, we might get to see the 'violent side'....who knows really.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kinseykinz; 05-28-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    I, too, get the impression that it's a physical manifestation of Hydaelyn more than Siren (unless it's both). It's just one of the many LOC/Lore running-gags I like to keep alive, at least until we find out what's really up with her.

It's a great piece, though. I've always loved Amano's art because it so rarely looks like the in-game rendering. He captures a traditional Japanese artwork vibe that doesn't change from installment to installment and, together, they make a timeless collection of memories of the saga. It's like a stand-alone bonus to the series as a whole.
    (2)
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Rogue Muse
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Bird Woman is Louisoux .... DUH!!!!

I get that the figure on the left is Gauis, but for the life of me I can't work out what position he is in. His horns are side on but I can't seem to figure out where his limbs are
    (2)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast