Player
    Character
    Liquid Courage
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90

Returning healer

So I used to heal all the time in this game before taking a break; generally speaking I didn't have any issues with groups however I just had quite possibly the worst tank I've ever had the "privilege" to heal.

Long story short; Haukke Manor, I'm on my SCH and the tank is GLD with no shield. We have two DPS with no AoE at this level but tank proceeds to pull everything up to the locked door and not use any mit. We die. Trying again tank pulls slightly less but still not using mit, DEMANDS that I cleanse poison off the mushrooms that constantly apply it and tells me to stop spamming shield. I say "stop pulling so much when we don't have aoe" he tells me that he does and that I should do damage. He also proceeded to spam "door" multiple times expecting one of us to open the door so he could pull even more. We kill the first boss and I apologize to the others and leave. Silver lining he had tank stance, but he wasn't synced.

So I'm expected to not spam heal a tank who refuses to mit and pulls multiple groups of mobs when our party has no aoe, whilst cleansing non stop poisons and also doing damage? What the hell has happened during my break? Did I just get unlucky or is there some new tank meta?
    (1)
    Last edited by Tamuril88; 03-28-2024 at 05:46 PM.

Player
    Character
    Sune Dakwhil
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Don't worry they'll dumb down tanking and healing even more to ensure this never happens again.

But it will in a different, even stupider form anyway.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Bun Vivant
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    You got a weird case.
    I mainly heal (SGE) but also tank and DPS, casually mind you, but I've taken several characters to End-of-Content as SGE-WAR-DNC.

In your situation I would just silently ignore a tank that was trying to tell me how to heal, and do the best I know how to prevent a wipe, even if it means letting the tank die. I've done low level dungeons in Duty Finder after having lost a tank, so even a poor tank can usually be worked around.

Worst case, though: I was in Aurum Vale, got a totally incompetent (or totally trolling) tank who ran around kiting Coincounter and eating all the morbal fruit, so after one of the DPS quit, I quit too. That's one situation the quit option is made for.

But usually, the tank is good enough, and sometimes they are spectacular (except when they're me )
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Casti Elensar
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    I think unfortunately you've just come across someone who has no idea how to play the class - I mean, not even equipping a shield as a Gladiator? You do come across some of them - I've had a couple before like that, you just gotta accept the loss and move on.
    (4)
    Casti Elensar
    Gilgamesh (Aether)
    Validation <<ERROR>>

Player
    Character
    Alrin Kireen
    World
    Phantom
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Take a deep breath and move on. You had a rare experience of tank who does not know how to play his class and acts like he does.
    (2)
    In darkness, in cold, in the midst of winter where nothing walks the world but death and fear let the brave rejoice: I call the light.
    Out of darkness, light. Ouf of silence, song. Ouf of the sun´s death, the birth of each year. Out of cold, fire. Out of death, life. Out of fear, courage to see the day. (Elizabeth Moon - The Deed of Paksenarrion)

Player
    Character
    Liquid Courage
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Thanks for the responses. I do realize I could have just stayed silent and carried on and usually I would do just that, but I've never been told how to do my job before so brazenly and by someone who doesn't even seem to know what they themselves are doing. I feel bad for leaving it up to another healer to finish that run but at that point I felt like I was healing in WoW or something and just had to leave. Just going to chalk it up to an isolated and rare incident and carry on as normal; though it was very shocking it being my first experience after coming back to the game and in leveling roulette of all things?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bun Vivant
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamuril88 View Post
    I feel bad for leaving it up to another healer to finish that run ...
    Don't feel bad, it wasn't your fault.
    And always remember: it's a game, not a job, and it's supposed to be fun for you.
    (5)
    Alt platoon, six at EoC

Player
    Shadowflare - Ward Miasma II, Plot Broil IV
    Character
    Reiner Osborne
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Casti_EL View Post
    I think unfortunately you've just come across someone who has no idea how to play the class - I mean, not even equipping a shield as a Gladiator? You do come across some of them - I've had a couple before like that, you just gotta accept the loss and move on.
    I think this is the case too.

You can try to convince them to improve on their end but there's only so much you can do, especially with that sort of attitude. Either vote dismiss them or leave yourself. It's just not worthy of the headache.
    (4)
    If you know, you know...

Player
    Character
    Rawker Stone
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamuril88 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I do realize I could have just stayed silent and carried on and usually I would do just that, but I've never been told how to do my job before so brazenly and by someone who doesn't even seem to know what they themselves are doing. I feel bad for leaving it up to another healer to finish that run but at that point I felt like I was healing in WoW or something and just had to leave. Just going to chalk it up to an isolated and rare incident and carry on as normal; though it was very shocking it being my first experience after coming back to the game and in leveling roulette of all things?
    If I am playing healer and the tank is stubborn, I will either do 2 things:
    1. Abandon. I have the privilege of instant queues. I will grab it. The stress fighting with a toxic player is just not worth it. Though I will apologize with the DPS players before leaving.
    2. Vote kick the toxic player, if I am the party leader, especially on your situation. DPS queues are already punishment enough. There are plenty more tanks out there who will do better.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tiana Vestoria
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Casti_EL View Post
    It's the even worse variant, someone who has no idea how to play but convinced themselves that they are an expert.
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast