Player
    Character
    Rollind Montorgueil
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Thank you all for the great responses!

Regrettably, my AST is my main (it's why I got into Final Fantasy Online in the first place) and I currently don't have any other classes in that level range. While it can be completed, it sounds like the fight is more challenging than doing it as another class. What is apparent, however, is that the rework slated for 7.0 is definitely needed. Naturally I wish it were sooner, but it is what it is. It'll be interesting to see what they tweak to make it more solo- and/or duty-friendly.

Again, muchas gracias!!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Samantha Redgrayve
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Just did NG+ to see how it is, here's my findings:

- I dropped to like 2k HP at one point thinking Blessing of Light regen would be as strong as it is for tanks or DPS (it's not), hit Essential Dignity, it crit and I was immediately full HP again. 85% ish of my HP bar instantly restored with one move, kinda wild. I also got this pic (don't mock my UI) of a non-crit later which shows that if you're low enough (i was at 4k before the heal), the scaling makes it restore about half your hp bar which is... a lot, for a 40s CD, kinda shows the issue with damage incoming/healing we can pump, but that's a very beaten horse

- I purposely did not use Star or Div for the swords, killed them at 69 gauge (nice). OP, you say you're ilvl 400, can you double check your weapon specifically? The WeaponDamage stat is incredibly important for how strong you are so if your gear is all ilvl 400, but your weapon is 390, you'd actually potentially do less damage than if your weapon is 400 and every slot of gear is 390, it's that big a difference. Besides that, I'd say having Lightspeed is a bigger factor than Star or Div. Being able to keep casting even while moving is a very big factor for that phase. DOTs aren't super useful, I tried using them but the phase is so short they don't really have time to do their damage, better to just throw another malefic, especially if they're instantcast because of Lightspeed. If you happen to have Star, might as well use it too, but it's not 'needed' per se, same with a Lord

- Whole fight took around 5mins and 30s. That's a whole lot of Malefic
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Rollind Montorgueil
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenRoe View Post
    Just did NG+ to see how it is, here's my findings:

- I dropped to like 2k HP at one point thinking Blessing of Light regen would be as strong as it is for tanks or DPS (it's not), hit Essential Dignity, it crit and I was immediately full HP again. 85% ish of my HP bar instantly restored with one move, kinda wild. I also got this pic (don't mock my UI) of a non-crit later which shows that if you're low enough (i was at 4k before the heal), the scaling makes it restore about half your hp bar which is... a lot, for a 40s CD, kinda shows the issue with damage incoming/healing we can pump, but that's a very beaten horse

- I purposely did not use Star or Div for the swords, killed them at 69 gauge (nice). OP, you say you're ilvl 400, can you double check your weapon specifically? The WeaponDamage stat is incredibly important for how strong you are so if your gear is all ilvl 400, but your weapon is 390, you'd actually potentially do less damage than if your weapon is 400 and every slot of gear is 390, it's that big a difference. Besides that, I'd say having Lightspeed is a bigger factor than Star or Div. Being able to keep casting even while moving is a very big factor for that phase. DOTs aren't super useful, I tried using them but the phase is so short they don't really have time to do their damage, better to just throw another malefic, especially if they're instantcast because of Lightspeed. If you happen to have Star, might as well use it too, but it's not 'needed' per se, same with a Lord

- Whole fight took around 5mins and 30s. That's a whole lot of Malefic
    Thank you for replying, ForsakenRoe - much appreciated!

Mock your UI? Never. It looks like you have everything set up quite nicely.

I checked my weapon and yep, it's at Ilvl400. I'm using the Augmented Scaevan Magitek Orrery, with 2 Quicktongue Materia VI. Haven't been able to upgrade to VII due to the VII's having an Ilvl of 420 minimum.

Stats are as follows:

Mind +148
    Vitality +145
    Critical Hit +144
    Piety +101
    Spell Speed +32 (via melds)

Gear is similarly at 400 - using the Scaevan set with spell speed and critical hit materias. So yes, the ability to damage the swords is there; it's just the time constraints to do so is where I constantly lose my way. Plus, there's the variable that I'm not as good at playing the class as I should be just yet (still a sprout)...and that I would be better off becoming more familiar with the class' abilities, spells and rotations by doing roulettes before attempting the MSQ again.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Samantha Redgrayve
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Looking at google, it seems that 'healer classes have too little personal DPS to clear solo instance' is a pretty common issue, a lot moreso than something like 'DPS class doesn't have enough selfhealing to live through solo instance'

I noticed the Blessing of Light buff's regen has wildly differing potency based on whether you're a healer or not, maybe they need to make the 'deal more damage' side of it way stronger for healers to compensate for their lack of personal dps?

Either way, hope you get it soon OP
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Apple Cider
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollind_Montorgueil View Post
    Thank you all for the great responses!

Regrettably, my AST is my main (it's why I got into Final Fantasy Online in the first place) and I currently don't have any other classes in that level range. While it can be completed, it sounds like the fight is more challenging than doing it as another class. What is apparent, however, is that the rework slated for 7.0 is definitely needed. Naturally I wish it were sooner, but it is what it is. It'll be interesting to see what they tweak to make it more solo- and/or duty-friendly.

Again, muchas gracias!!
    If you don't mind picking up another job and you have Endwalker purchased, you can pick up either Sage or Reaper from their respective quest givers, and the jobs both start at level 70. Sage is a healer job with higher personal DPS over Astrologian, so you may find it easier to complete this mission as Sage.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollind_Montorgueil View Post
    Quicktongue Materia VI. Haven't been able to upgrade to VII due to the VII's having an Ilvl of 420 minimum.
    Even if you could use them, VIIs would not help you here. Materia VII are a downgrade. Beginning with VII/VIII, the odd numbered materias have lower stats than the previous materia and are only for advanced materia melding (overmelding / red slots).
    (1)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Ren Thras
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Absolute WORST case scenario, you can always do roulettes to level past it and then buy better gear from the MB or a player that can get to the higher level zones, better food, potions, etc.

It should be doable, as Roe showed by example, but it may take a few tries. I know that's not the BEST thing to hear, but once you bust through it, the other side should be smooth sailing.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Samantha Redgrayve
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Solo instances have an ilvl sync too I'm pretty sure, and I didn't check what item level that one syncs you to (I forgot), so I'm not sure if getting gear from higher levels is actually going to help, it's also kinda scuffed that 'best ilvl available at end of the relevant expansion' doesn't cut it, if it IS a gear issue

If it weren't for NG+ starting the chapter at the start of 4.4 (so, requiring replaying The Burn and Ghymlit Dark) I'd go try it again with full 400 gear, but I don't want to do those dungeons again again =/
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Noah Orih
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    You know, something worth considering... If you're someone who wants to experience not just the story, but also side story content, like the alliance raids, normal raids, etc., then once you reach ShB and EW, there's a secondary storyline with rather important lore locked behind performing each of the role quests. In ShB, this means performing four separate quest lines as a healer, tank, physical DPS, and magical DPS respectively (which also means you need one of each of those roles leveled to 80 at least), and in EW the physical DPS role quest was split into a melee questline and a ranged questline. I do recommend anyone really into the story experience those, and there are very easy, 'lazy' ways you can level up a job of each role if grinding them up or playing them in group content sounds undesirable. You can queue as the job you need to level in Frontlines roulette, then switch to your preferred job within the instance, and the job you queued as will get half a level every day you do this. There's also Wonderous Tails which can usually be easy to complete for half a level every week, and beast tribe quests, particularly the ShB and EW ones, award a nice chunk of experience every day.

The reason I bring this up is, if you haven't started leveling other roles yet, starting to now can not only help give you a head start on that particular task, but it could also give you a job that's easier to clear those solo duties as. Not that you can't as AST, as has been discussed above, but if you're really struggling, those duties are a lot easier to clear as something like a RDM, or a tank like WAR. I can understand strongly wanting to appear as a specific job in cutscenes and whatnot, but if you hit another wall in the future, you can always skip those cutscenes, do the instance as something else, then bounce over to an inn and actually watch those cutscenes as AST.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ren Thras
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ty_taurus View Post
    I don't mean this harshly, because I know you're being well meaning, but some people want to play the content on their Healer. The poster already said he wants to do it on AST. Everyone trying to coax him into leveling as something else is missing that point. I do MSQ on Healers. I just finished doing the last sidequests in the game (all the random world ones) tonight, and did it on SCH and AST (did AST for a bit to see if it was really any slower. Far as I can tell, not really. I MIGHT get one more Malific cast in before things die, but I'm not even sure, and it wasn't noticable), because I like playing Healers even in solo content.

Besides, if you're talking about Role quests, players can get a Tank at 60 (GNB), Melee at 70 (RPR), Ranged at 60 (DNC), and Caster at 50 (RDM, and probably the next expansion will give one at 80)

If the guy likes AST, let him AST. He's gotten tips and seems determined, and we know it's possible. Let him do it. If he wants to pick up or level another Job, he's aware that's an option by now, so no further coaxing is necessary nor desired. Again, I'm genuinely trying to be gentle in how I say this, because I know you mean the best - as does Nizzi:

Quote Originally Posted by Nizzi View Post
    If you don't mind picking up another job and you have Endwalker purchased, you can pick up either Sage or Reaper from their respective quest givers, and the jobs both start at level 70. Sage is a healer job with higher personal DPS over Astrologian, so you may find it easier to complete this mission as Sage.
    IDontPetLalas:

Quote Originally Posted by IDontPetLalas View Post
    Having actually done it on AST myself , yes it possible, as I said earlier it's likely more easily done on any other healer - if someone wanted to stick to a healer.
    And AnotherPerson:

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPerson View Post
    I'm more surprised you would subject yourself to trying to do solo instances as a healer in MSQ, and on AST no less.
    I suspect you genuinely mean well, and maybe you didn't see Rollind's post in another thread (he said in another one he really wants to do this stuff on AST), but I don't think it's constructive for EVERYone to tell a person to play a different Job, especially when he seems to want to do the content on THIS Job...

Anyway, I won't say anymore on it, since I think the intent is genuine benevolence, but I think at this point, he's aware of that option.
    (2)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast