Player
    Character
    Cid Heiral
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90

[Request] Address gear with gendered differences

(I made this thread in the General forum a long while back but I realized this section may make more sense given items being the subject matter and also General being a cesspool of nonstop troll spam.)

It is a very, very good thing that the game has masculine and feminine options for players, but players should have the option of which look they would like to use. The devs have been doing a great job going back and making gender exclusive gear available for everyone and I believe eventually they will do so for everything. However, that still leaves the issue of gear pieces that differ in appearance depending on who equips them.

One example is the Casual Attire:

The female version turns the top into a long dress with shorts far above the knee. The male version's shirt ends much further up with longer shorts. I would personally much prefer the male version which I feel suits the highlander tomboy vibe much better, and I'm sure there are many players who feel the same in either direction.

Another excellent example is the gear from the Nier raids:

I would absolutely love to be able to use the male versions of these sets. They look so dignified!

One of my most coveted items is this Nier Tower chest piece. It looks so cool with the ammo vest and raised scarf!

So what is the solution? It seems like there are two potential options.

1. Split every piece of gendered gear into [M] and [F] sets like the Rathalos gear.
    This seems like the most realistic solution. People who already have the gear would probably have to be forced into one or the other during the transition, then can go trade it for the opposite one if they want at the Calamity Salvager or some other vendor. The issue with this solution is how it impacts the actual drops. When you defeat a boss in Copied Factory would it now drop two of every item? Does it drop a token you turn in for the look of your choice?

2. Leave the gear as is but add an NPC or right click menu option that flips the appearance from one look to the other.
    This would be the ideal solution IMO but I have no idea if it's even possible given how the game works under the hood.

What do you think? Which solution would you like to see implemented, or is there an even better one you would prefer?
    (21)
    Last edited by CidHeiral; 05-06-2023 at 06:04 AM.

Player
    Character
    Halmarut Sower
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    I fully support your idea. My character is female, but for my personal preference I would like her to wear handsome masculine clothing.
    I think the first idea you propose is more feasible, though it could use some modification. As an example, players can get a [Obsolete Android's Cloak of Aiming Coffer] during the Duty. After Use this coffer, players can get both [M] and [F] gears. Or the players can get the coffer and choose [M] or [F] for themselves.
    But all options are predicated on the premise that "the devs can modify all gender-specific clothing for the other gender". Obviously this will be a difficult task...
    (4)
    Last edited by Fuzuki030; 05-18-2023 at 06:25 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kes'to Vazjah
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    Yes. Please. Yes. I'm so sick and tired of seeing appearances that I really wish I could use but can't because it's specific to one gender. Hells, the new crafted gear in the next patch is a perfect example. Why can't I be allowed to just wear booty shorts on a male character??? Let my catboy show his thighs, damnit! 'Cause out of all the options for really short shorts in this game, 90% turn into pants when worn by a male character and I hate it. And I've love to be able to use the female versions of the Nier gear too- and a bunch of other stuff. And if I did play a female character, I'm sure I'd very much be clamouring for a lot of the pants that only male characters get.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Equinox Axxion
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    more option are great is a +1 for me. However alot of other do not see it that way.
    (0)
    for a year, would you rather be secretly filmed at random moments and have the footage uploaded to your social media or loose $100 when ever you said a curse word?

Player
    Character
    Cid Heiral
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzuki030 View Post
    I think the first idea you propose is more feasible, though it could use some modification. As an example, players can get a [Obsolete Android's Cloak of Aiming Coffer] during the Duty. After Use this coffer, players can get both [M] and [F] gears. Or the players can get the coffer and choose [M] or [F] for themselves.
    Oh, that's a great idea! I hadn't even considered a coffer option. That pretty much solves the drop issue entirely. So then it's just a matter of if the devs feel like doing the work. I wonder how much goes into adapting the model from one gender to another?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Halmarut Sower
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by CidHeiral View Post
    Oh, that's a great idea! I hadn't even considered a coffer option. That pretty much solves the drop issue entirely. So then it's just a matter of if the devs feel like doing the work. I wonder how much goes into adapting the model from one gender to another?
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/003213.html [FFXIV Backstage Investigators (No. 7): Lead Technical Artist Tatsuya Okahisa]
    A software was mentioned in FFXIV Backstage Investigators. It can automatically modify equipment to match each race. However, the article mentions that equipment still need to be manually adjusted by the artists.
    I don't know if manual adjustments are a chore. But the impression I got from the article was that "it's not impossible to do, and it's not even as difficult as I thought it would be". (To be honest, I think the gender stereotypes of some devs are probably the bigger problem. They always think that women should wear less than men!)
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Cid Heiral
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    I see. Well I suppose we can remain hopeful that one day it will happen. They've done the same thing at least once before with the Rathalos gear so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Minali Flo'uf
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Considering all the pants that turn into panties if your character is a woman, even in artifact gear, I wholeheartedly support this, please let me have pants for my female characters. That said, making an M and F version would also mean I'd have to get a lot more glamour dresser space, considering there are some gear pieces where I like the look of both versions. Maybe one could just introduce a toggle somewhere in the character window, like for visors? (Would have to be more than one button I guess so you can have the [m] jacket but the [f] boots of something for example, but it would be easier than having to exchange things at an NPC.)
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Algenon Renmaeth
    World
    Maduin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 61
    I've said it on multiple occasions over many different games over the years....Female Outfits are always better looking.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cid Heiral
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Minali View Post
    Considering all the pants that turn into panties if your character is a woman, even in artifact gear, I wholeheartedly support this, please let me have pants for my female characters.
    That reminds me, another great example is the summer set from last year. When the sets were data mined I was so excited to finally have some knee length shorts for my character, but then it turned out to be another gendered item that forces me into bikini bottoms #17862378123.

(3)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast