Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 450
  1. #101
    Player
    Midareyukki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    1,708
    Character
    Harun Asubra
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleraRistain View Post
    Honest question, have you played other JRPGs? How many do you know where the entire cast dies? Even in the Final Fantasy series itself it's not something that happens in every game. And it's very rare (not heard of, just rare) for a main cast death to occur at all. I'm not sure why you think new players rushed into this game demanding anything. This expansion has felt the most like one of the old school Final Fantasy single player games to me more than any other expansion. If they're drawing in anyone, they're drawing in the core Final Fantasy audience that was kept away by this being an online game. Which is exactly the audience they were trying to draw in because they had gotten that feedback that single player fans wanted to experience this one.
    - FF4, FF6, FF7, FF9, FF10 (kinda, especially in the new sound novel they made as a sequel to 10-2) FF13... but it's complicated. And FF15. These are all mainline games where at least one of the main playable characters dies permanently at some point.
    - Crisis Core and Type-0 feature the death of the entire playable roster. Though Type-0 does have a way to avert it, but it doesn't erase the fact that those deaths still happened.
    - Dissidia 012 kills off its prologue characters before the main Dissidia campaign. They're brought back somehow in NT tho.
    - FFT makes it ambiguous whether or not the main character and his sister survive. We don't know whether he's actually alive, Delita's dying hallucination or just a gratuitous image to contrast the circumstances of Delita's death, like an allegory.

    Death does happen somewhat regularly. It's never the entire cast except for two games: the first one is a single-player adventure, so it doesn't count, and the 2nd one has a secret ending where you can un-make the entire campaign.

    Edit: If anyone's curious, the FF10 death is that Tidus is such a bigshot blitzball player and neglects Yuna for a bit, he then goes to the beach, finds a ball, thinks it's a Blitzball and kicks it. It's actually a Bomb and he dies. Yuna mourns him and tries to bring him back, but out of nowhere, Sin comes back. The end. Just... no further context, that's all the narration says xD And since there's no follow-up, he's still dead.
    (9)
    Last edited by Midareyukki; 09-10-2022 at 09:50 AM.
    --

  2. #102
    Player
    SannaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    2,016
    Character
    Sanna Rosewood
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Man I sure do love other people telling me what things I must be enjoying and how as let's see checks notes: has played almost every numbered FF to-date and a good selection of the non numbered. Loved Heavensward and a lot of the Villians throughout XIV. Yet there are many who would say that I should be against a lot of the things I've enjoyed and liked about the Scions, the Viians, EW's story and go back to WoW even if I've never touched it. That I should also love Snyder levels of dark and gritty. Along with a burning yearning for Fantasy Western Medieval Europe.
    And death death everywhere. Let the rivers turn red with the blood of friend and foe alike.

    Also Beldesion isn't Sharlyean. They're similar, but not the same. It would be like labeling Japan as being China. Even though some Japanese written language, philosophy and religion were gained from China I would like to doubt people in thus thread would call them being the same.

    Edit: This coming from a person who was part of the phase 3 beta for ARR and who's first FF was the original.
    (10)
    Last edited by SannaR; 09-10-2022 at 09:55 AM.

  3. 09-10-2022 09:57 AM
    Reason
    Wrong thread. Nevermind, as you were...

  4. #103
    Player
    TaleraRistain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,445
    Character
    Thalia Beckford
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Midareyukki View Post
    - FF4, FF6, FF7, FF9, FF10 (kinda, especially in the new sound novel they made as a sequel to 10-2) FF13... but it's complicated. And FF15. These are all mainline games where at least one of the main playable characters dies permanently at some point.
    - Crisis Core and Type-0 feature the death of the entire playable roster. Though Type-0 does have a way to avert it, but it doesn't erase the fact that those deaths still happened.
    - Dissidia 012 kills off its prologue characters before the main Dissidia campaign. They're brought back somehow in NT tho.
    - FFT makes it ambiguous whether or not the main character and his sister survive. We don't know whether he's actually alive, Delita's dying hallucination or just a gratuitous image to contrast the circumstances of Delita's death, like an allegory.

    Death does happen somewhat regularly. It's never the entire cast except for two games: the first one is a single-player adventure, so it doesn't count, and the 2nd one has a secret ending where you can un-make the entire campaign.

    Edit: If anyone's curious, the FF10 death is that Tidus is such a bigshot blitzball player and neglects Yuna for a bit, he then goes to the beach, finds a ball, thinks it's a Blitzball and kicks it. It's actually a Bomb and he dies. Yuna mourns him and tries to bring him back, but out of nowhere, Sin comes back. The end. Just... no further context, that's all the narration says xD
    Tellah in IV is solid and you missed Galuf in V. VI isn't a given. Shadow doesn't have to die. Aerith in VII is one of the obvious ones, of course. Vivi dies in IX offscreen and after the final battle. X is solid though X-2's canon ending reverses it and then that sound novel reverses that reversal and then reverses it again (yeah that's not confusing). LR reverses the deaths that happened in XIII. XV is solid...kind of. The intended story to my understanding would have been resolved quite differently.

    But there are other series. Fei goes to the end of the world to rescue Elly in Xenogears and the entire party comes home triumphantly. The cast of Chrono Trigger travel to the past and the future and beyond to defeat Lavos and comes home triumphantly. Alex saves Luna in the first Lunar game when she's been overtaken as her Althena persona by singing their song to her and everyone comes home triumphantly. Even in the first game in this series, the Warriors of Light travel into the past and defeat Garland as Chaos and...return home triumphantly.

    Some games subvert this. Type-0 like you mentioned. Rose at the end of Legend of Dragoon because she's someone out of time, though the very end gives some hope there. That's why I said not unheard of even in this series. But it's just not a trend you see in JRPGs a lot.
    (5)

  5. #104
    Player
    aveyond-dreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    1,881
    Character
    Reinhard Rosenritter
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 81
    Quote Originally Posted by SannaR View Post
    Man I sure do love other people telling me what things I must be enjoying and how as let's see checks notes: has played almost every numbered FF to-date and a good selection of the non numbered. Loved Heavensward and a lot of the Villians throughout XIV. Yet there are many who would say that I should be against a lot of the things I've enjoyed and liked about the Scions, the Viians, EW's story and go back to WoW even if I've never touched it. That I should also love Snyder levels of dark and gritty. Along with a burning yearning for Fantasy Western Medieval Europe.
    And death death everywhere. Let the rivers turn red with the blood of friend and foe alike.

    Also Beldesion isn't Sharlyean. They're similar, but not the same. It would be like labeling Japan as being China. Even though some Japanese written language, philosophy and religion were gained from China I would like to doubt people in thus thread would call them being the same.

    Edit: This coming from a person who was part of the phase 3 beta for ARR and who's first FF was the original.
    See the posts above for what we mean when we say we want more stakes in the MSQ.

    You appear to have mistaken Galuf Baldesion's surname which was given to the organization of the Students of Baldesion for the name given to the Isle of Val, which is an island colonized by Sharlayan. There are no distinctions between the Isle and Sharlayan culture, and after 10 years of party members from there or with links to Sharlayan I do not feel that it is in the game's best interest to add another one to the main cast.

    In any case, if you loved Heavensward then should 7.0 follow a similar style of storytelling then hopefully both of us will be able to come away satisfied from it. I will not respond to the rest of your statements because I do not feel that you have provided an accurate representation of my positions.
    (9)
    Авейонд-сны


  6. #105
    Player
    Midareyukki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    1,708
    Character
    Harun Asubra
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleraRistain View Post
    Tellah in IV is solid and you missed Galuf in V. VI isn't a given. Shadow doesn't have to die. Aerith in VII is one of the obvious ones, of course. Vivi dies in IX offscreen and after the final battle. X is solid though X-2's canon ending reverses it and then that sound novel reverses that reversal and then reverses it again (yeah that's not confusing). LR reverses the deaths that happened in XIII. XV is solid...kind of. The intended story to my understanding would have been resolved quite differently.

    But there are other series. Fei goes to the end of the world to rescue Elly in Xenogears and the entire party comes home triumphantly. The cast of Chrono Trigger travel to the past and the future and beyond to defeat Lavos and comes home triumphantly. Alex saves Luna in the first Lunar game when she's been overtaken as her Althena persona by singing their song to her and everyone comes home triumphantly. Even in the first game in this series, the Warriors of Light travel into the past and defeat Garland as Chaos and...return home triumphantly.

    Some games subvert this. Type-0 like you mentioned. Rose at the end of Legend of Dragoon because she's someone out of time, though the very end gives some hope there. That's why I said not unheard of even in this series. But it's just not a trend you see in JRPGs a lot.
    Yep, it's not. That's the point I was trying to make: that while death IS a recurring thing, they either subvert it somehow or it ends up being a very minor character\minor moment. It never is the death of the whole cast, and in Type-0, it's made abundantly clear that the cast isn't the same most loops, and that Arecia just throws it all into the bin and lets people live happily and normally.

    This is how Final Fantasy is like. This is how most JRPGs tend to be, as they're often modelled after FF or Dragon Quest. I'd say the only exception is the Shin Megami Tensei series, and even then it's not something that always happens.

    And death isn't meant to be the ending to the Scions. Nor was Endwalker meant to be the end of them as a group. They've disbanded just to pursue their own interests, they'd likely be back later in the future if called to it. However, this would have been the perfect chance to either expand or make a new group.

    It might be too early to tell. But from what we're seeing that won't happen. They're just going to make characters they've already established take on a new role.

    ...also ._. I forgot Galuf despite him literally being the reason Forbidden Land Eureka exists. F.
    (7)

  7. #106
    Player
    TaleraRistain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,445
    Character
    Thalia Beckford
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Midareyukki View Post
    ...also ._. I forgot Galuf despite him literally being the reason Forbidden Land Eureka exists. F.
    And in a thread about Krile, for shame

    Oh and they must have changed the X-2 sequel thing a bit. Last I read about it, she did bring him back but she can't tell him and the secret X ending is supposed to be after that. Or something. It's weird. VIII's story makes more sense compared to what they did there.
    (0)

  8. #107
    Player
    Kes13a's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Gridania
    Posts
    1,742
    Character
    Etherea Stormaire
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by aveyond-dreams View Post
    *snip*
    this is all well and good. WoW did take on a poor direction, I realized as it got worse that nothing I could say or do would change that. just like your opinion is unlikely to change the direction of this game.

    best advice I ever saw was.. they wont change just because you feel pouty about it, if they have stopped earning your money.. stop giving it to them.

    after thinking about it, WoW had stopped earning it and I stopped giving to them. presently, FFxiv still earns mine I think, which is all that matters. you mention a lot about how it caters to twitter, what basis do you have for that? because people there dont think like you? they could just be catering to their main target audience, which is japanese.

    thing is, no game developer is going to ask themselves that and you wouldnt like it even more if they did. Wildstar listened to their players. so much so it destroyed the game.

    so, as in all things, be very very careful what you wish for. because they wont implement things the way you want, even if they bring in what you want. thats reality. you are you, they arent, so whatever they do will never be what you want.
    (13)

  9. #108
    Player
    Boblawblah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    300
    Character
    Shara Dei-ji
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Midareyukki View Post
    - FF4, FF6, FF7, FF9, FF10 (kinda, especially in the new sound novel they made as a sequel to 10-2) FF13... but it's complicated. And FF15. These are all mainline games where at least one of the main playable characters dies permanently at some point.
    - Crisis Core and Type-0 feature the death of the entire playable roster. Though Type-0 does have a way to avert it, but it doesn't erase the fact that those deaths still happened.
    - Dissidia 012 kills off its prologue characters before the main Dissidia campaign. They're brought back somehow in NT tho.
    - FFT makes it ambiguous whether or not the main character and his sister survive. We don't know whether he's actually alive, Delita's dying hallucination or just a gratuitous image to contrast the circumstances of Delita's death, like an allegory.

    Death does happen somewhat regularly. It's never the entire cast except for two games: the first one is a single-player adventure, so it doesn't count, and the 2nd one has a secret ending where you can un-make the entire campaign.

    Edit: If anyone's curious, the FF10 death is that Tidus is such a bigshot blitzball player and neglects Yuna for a bit, he then goes to the beach, finds a ball, thinks it's a Blitzball and kicks it. It's actually a Bomb and he dies. Yuna mourns him and tries to bring him back, but out of nowhere, Sin comes back. The end. Just... no further context, that's all the narration says xD And since there's no follow-up, he's still dead.
    FF9, which playable character dies before the end of the game? FF10, same. FF6, what shadow, who you can just choose not to wait for? FF15? dying at the end of the game doesn't count when we're talking about comparing it to an mmo. FF13 had timeline nonsense.

    VII and IV has arguably the only meaningful character death when you're actually controlling the character. Almost none of the FF games have a death where the story continues, and you simply cannot play with that character anymore. I think it's disingenuous to try to paint FFXIV as this happy go lucky story when it's dealt with themes just as dark as any of the Final Fantasy games. Are we really going to pretend that FFVII Remake doesn't have just as much fanservice and out of place nonsense?

    I didn't enjoy Endwalker really at all, I thought it read like a depressed teenager writing a fan fiction, but to say that nothing meaningful happens to characters is just wrong. If you don't like a character, just say it, let's not pretend that death would suddenly make the stakes "real" again.
    (5)

  10. #109
    Player
    Rannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    2,794
    Character
    Rannie Lfey
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I dont mind seeing more of Krile in 7.0. I like her. And honestly the reddit post doesn't give much information to make much of it besides possibly more krile and her getting a new outfit...
    (5)
    I have a secret to tell. From my electrical well. It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells. So the room must listen to me Filibuster vigilantly. My name is blue canary one note* spelled l-i-t-e. My story's infinite Like the Longines Symphonette it doesn't rest- TMBG Birdhouse in your Soul
    A huge THANK YOU!!!! For FINALLY selling the Meteor Survivor Polo on the store. AND a huge thanks to my friend who bought it for me while he was at Fan Fest!!! YES I finally have my POLO!!!



  11. #110
    Player
    VelKallor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Limsa Lominsa
    Posts
    1,290
    Character
    Vel Kallor
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    as if that wasn’t one of the reasons why 6.0 has been criticized for the way in which it handled both its pacing and the main cast.
    BY YOU.

    No one else.

    And, naturally, if she is to come with us then the last thing we need
    Who is "we"?
    (11)

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast