Character
    Nyte Shayd
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90

CC overtime rules announcements needed

Just another wish/comfort item.

One thing I will say is I wish when it starts OT, there was an indication of which rule set you are following. I have had games were it was 49% to 51% and I go "ok, it's tie rules" and it's actually 51% needs to keep them off for 3 seconds, then I have had games where it was 30-40% and I go "ok, the 40% team has to keep them off for 3 seconds, and it turns out, it was a tie rule where the first team to advance to 41% wins. They need to do a better job identifying which rule set we are following. When the overtime message pops up, it needs to tell us what the objective is. "Keep enemy team off crystal for 3s to win!", "Push further then the enemy team has to win!". Literally those two messages would fix everything with this situation.

It would also help in lower ranks and casual matches with people who don't pvp all the time to know what they are doing. I can't say how many times I have seen ranged refuse to go near the crystal when they are the only one near it with a 3s off the crystal and you lose situation. My god, at least try, your team is on the way, you dying could be the difference between losing now, or chancing a come back. But I think the issue is, they simply don't know what the objective is and they are trying to regroup.
    (7)

Character
    Grinning Serpent
    World
    Maduin
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 90
    Agreed. Overtime in general needs a significant amount of work. I've said elsewhere, but I think OT should just be an extra 3 minutes added to the timer. None of this "keep them off the point/stay on the point" nonsense because that breaks the mode's balance in too many ways ("don't clump together" is the primary balancing factor for a lot of things, including most LBs), it's just a flat 3 minutes added to the clock - the game immediately ends when those 3 minutes are up, and whoever has the most progress (taking partial progress on the checkpoint into account!) is declared the winner. If both teams are somehow tied, then it's a draw. There is no double overtime, none of that nonsense.

And the game needs to add a countdown at 10 seconds left on the regular clock *and* the overtime clock. It's very easy to miss something crucial like that in the middle of a pitched fight, but sound cues can help with that. Hell, countdowns go back for way over 20 years of games at this point, it's kind of bizarre that in the year of our lord 2022 not one person on the SE team thought "hey maybe we should add sound cues to this."
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Chryden Speakel
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 80
    I like the overtime how it is.

Best experience was that my team was losing but during OT we pushed the crystal towards the enemy, cm by cm.
    There was always someone in each team dead and it was just fighting. The OT round went on for 16min and it was the best 16 min of PvP I've ever had.
    At the end we lost but it was so much to have a extremely even match like this.

But yeah, the rules needs to be better explained.
    I hade quite some rounds were people called for regroup during OT, then the last person left the crystal to regroup and we lost.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Vitalic Oni
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    I think overtime feels incredible bad and forced. Overtime happens like 60 percent of all games and is 99 percent of a time just a random factor of who steps out accidently.
    (1)

Character
    Grinning Serpent
    World
    Maduin
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Curisu View Post
    I like the overtime how it is.

Best experience was that my team was losing but during OT we pushed the crystal towards the enemy, cm by cm.
    There was always someone in each team dead and it was just fighting. The OT round went on for 16min and it was the best 16 min of PvP I've ever had.
    At the end we lost but it was so much to have a extremely even match like this.

But yeah, the rules needs to be better explained.
    I hade quite some rounds were people called for regroup during OT, then the last person left the crystal to regroup and we lost.
    Nah, dude. 16 minutes of people just corpse dragging to the point and hitting Guard and going AFK for 5 sec until they die and can do it again isn't fun, it's a complete waste of time.

But rather than try and figure out how to make Guard useful without stalling the game excessively, it makes more sense to just put a hard limit on OT duration.

And to say nothing about the severe balance issues current OT creates. RPR can literally end the game with a halfway competent LB, and so can DNC. And because you're *forced* to stack on or near the point (the AOE for these effects exceeds the size of the target circle), it's more or less impossible to avoid being hit by them if you are the team that's behind. Or even if you're the team that's ahead, but only by a few percent (which means you *must* keep people inside the circle to prevent the enemy team from moving it.)

The balancing factor for a *LOT* of things in PvP right now is "well don't fuckin stand in it ya dummy." But OT creates situations where you *MUST* stand in it, which gives the classes with these abilities and outsized impact on the game *only* in OT. That's just bad design.

But if OT only lasts for two or three minutes, you're unlikely to see these classes get to leverage that advantage more than once or twice at best, so it's kept in check.
    (1)
    Last edited by Gserpent; 05-23-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Character
    Raansu Omiyari
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Overtime is probably the worst function of the game mode. At the very least create a checkpoint on the map where a team needs to push the crystal towards to determine a winner instead of "oh he stepped 1 inch out of the ring so you lose"
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Y'dyalani Rhus
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    All it needs is for people to know how to play it. I’ve seen too many people run out the crystal and we lose obviously unaware of the conditions. Likewise I’ve seen people let opponents push crystal to the midway in the final seconds/ minute. While if they’d stopped it reaching midway in Ot, would be a win if we just pushed it to their midway. Now we not only need to reach it but count it down and push beyond it for the win.
    (0)