Character
    Anhra Nefaris
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90

FFXIV's Holy Trinity and what makes it Bad

Greetings and thanks for looking this Thread up.

As the title says, i'd like to disguss Job Design on a more Meta level here with the hopes that someone in Squeenix looks this up and starts scratching his Head about how Jobs in general are currently designed.
    I am by no means saying that things arent working in any way since in a technical sense, All Jobs ARE functioning properly and can clear all avaiable content, BUT my take it, that current Job design and the "Holy Trinity" of Healer/Tank/DPS is currently in a weird state that favors DPS over Tanks over Healers which results into healing becoming less and less needed from the sides of Healers, and damage mitigation also being trivialized from the side of Tanks (altrough suffering wouldnt be the correct word for Tanks). And what makes matters worse, is that the changes Squeenix ends up making on all Jobs, always come at a cost of losing Job identity for the sake of convenience.

Here is a overview on my Takes on what i think are Issues that contribute the Issue at hand. While they do sound as minor things at first glance, i think its the overall amount of those minor things, that add to the whole Picture, Now to the Bisquits:

Overall suggestions and issues:

+ removal of ALL Role Skills and finding proper alternatives for the few that allign with the Job identity of each Job.

- from the Side of Content itself, Enemies/Bosses in both Dungeons and Trials could need some adjustment in the form of True Damage (damage that ignores every Defense Stat) on certain aspects of their used Skills/Attacks.

- the passive HP Regen, that occurs outside of Combat, should be removed in order to improve the necessity of Healers having to heal. It is strong enough, that it even slightly overpowers the Necrosis DoT which you get from the first Area in the Dead Ends Dungeon. Oh, and said DoT deals 10k DMG each tick.

- the incombat HP Regen, should be either nerfed heavily, or disabled as well.

Part 1/3
    (1)

Character
    Anhra Nefaris
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Tonks:

- overall amount of Healing abilities from the side of Tanks, is way too high but by their amount as well as Potencywise. It makes sense if PLD and maybe DRK have some sort of means of healing, altrough it should be very limited and/or at the cost of high CD (since they arent freaking Healers). It is absurd that WAR has the strongest single target Heal in the Game outside of Eggs Benediktion from WHM and it is also absurd, that shooting someone can provide a Healing effect.

+ to Counterbalance this Issue, i would suggest to improve on Mitigation power from WAR/GNB and have PLD/DRK weaker, but still functioning Potencies but with the upside of having as stated before, small means of self sustainment that dont outshadow the need of a Healer.

The Deeps:

- while it is a very minor thing, i think Skills such as Second Wind, Bloodbath, Curing Waltz and Phoenix Heals for example should be straight up removed and in their place, add more Skills that contribute towards each Job identity that helps a DPS being more of a DPS. DPS Jobs are by nature in any MMORPG, "selfish" (unless stated as Support Class as well) for only having to contribute to one thing (unless stated otherwise) and that is DPS and eventually doing mechanics that require interaction.

+ The Main reason why i suggest removing them, is to increase the burden of Healing from the Healers side. As things currently stand, those Skills (as well as the Healing from the Tank side) are more than enough to clear every Dungeon and most, if not all Trial Content as well, which completely defeats the purpose of a Healer in MOST CONTENT.

- Melee DPS Jobs are bloated with a unholy amount of raw damage Skills on GCD which only serve as a 123 Combo to only deal damage. IF they should stay for some reason, at least make them into a single Button combo like in PvP.

- While it has little to do with the Holy Trinity itself, i think Casters (including Healers) shouldnt possess Pseudo-Rotations and should instead become more like true Casters (Possessing multiple situational Spells like Nukes that come at a hard Cast and alot of Potency for example). I am not saying all should have this, but it wouldnt hurt if some Jobs had this.

Part 2/3
    (1)
    Last edited by Anhra; 05-22-2022 at 07:06 AM.

Character
    Anhra Nefaris
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    The (H)eels:

This might be the Part where the most issues exist.

- Firstly, Healers possess WAY too many Healing Abilities, which is a average Number of 14 Healing Abilities (only including pure Heals, HoTs and Shields which also Heal) for each Job within the Role. With a overall amount of roughly 29 Skills on your Hotbar, that is, if you include any Buffs that increase Potency of Heals or influence those in any form or shape, rendered useless because not only for the issues mentioned above on the other Roles of the Trinity, but also because of the Content itself.

- Recently, Squeenix thought that adding Damage Mitigation Tools in the form of Buffs for Allies gives them something else to do,but it provides a similar issue for Tanks as well on the side of Job identity (those Mitigation tools from Healers might as well be directly at a Tanks disposal and could even contribute to GNB Job identity imo) BUT since Tanks also currently have the benefit of absurd amounts of self sustainment, it isnt as big of a issue on their side as they have a counterbalance for this at the expense of Healers having to heal even less.

- the DPS Kit on all Healers, is pretty much bare bones. With a amazing amount (sarcasm btw) of 5-6 Skills that just do raw Damage (and assist in overhealing sometimes) and the exact same Kit Formula applied (1 basic DPS Spell, 1 Dot, 1-3 AoE's and one or two lolgimmick Spells which is tied to the Job Gauge) it is mere torture to play them in Content where healing isnt due.

- Despite being labeled as Healers, their Resurrection Skills ARE STILL BAREBONE at max Level and the SAME as the one RDM/SMN have. Healers should have at the very least a better form of Resurrection (bypasses or reduces Weakness duration) than a DPS does (or even multiple Res Skills which are tied to a very long CD, but have effects such as granting Autores when defeated, a AoE effect or fully restoring HP/MP).

- IF this matter continues, Healer will become more and more irrelevant with every coming Expansion which WILL require of them needing a complete rework in order to stay relevant into the Game.

+ A way of fixing the issues of Healer, is to cut down the overall amount of Healing abilities by half and increase the Potency of the remaining ones. That would give more Room to inpliment Utility Skills, more DPS Skills and/or Buffs/Debuffs or even simple Status effects.

There is also the matter of Content itself, needing to be adressed properly, but not on this Thread.

Thanks for reading all of this.

Part 3/3
    (3)