Character
    Lusa'to Vamthi
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90

What is the Story behind Haukke Manor?

And I do not mean the noble lady turned to void magic story.

I mean the GIANT prison cells in the basement. These things are huge, have enormous doors, and the bars are wide enough apart a Roegadyn could fit between them. In one of the cells is an oversized table with chopped wood on top of it the size of full grown men.

At some point in Gridania's history were they at war with giants or some other excessively large species?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alijana Tumet
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Eorzea does have giants of dubious intellect who were known to be employed as slaves in eras past so that could be a possible explanation, though I have no recollection of them being used in the Black Shroud, only Ul'dah.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Saika Kinoshita
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 53
    It's just excessive dungeon scaling
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Iyami Galvayra
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    If the rooms were small enough to be single-person cells, the camera would be clashing all over the place. Look at the small cells in Toto-rak and you'll see what I mean.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Shining Evenfall
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrotica View Post
    And I do not mean the noble lady turned to void magic story.

I mean the GIANT prison cells in the basement. These things are huge, have enormous doors, and the bars are wide enough apart a Roegadyn could fit between them. In one of the cells is an oversized table with chopped wood on top of it the size of full grown men.

At some point in Gridania's history were they at war with giants or some other excessively large species?
    Haukke Manor used to belong to the Padjal, and was seen as proof of their excess by the populace of Gridania, which caused them to sell it to Lady Amandine Dartancours. What went on within its walls during its time as a Padjal residence is unknown.
    (1)

Character
    Lusa'to Vamthi
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMollusk View Post
    If the rooms were small enough to be single-person cells, the camera would be clashing all over the place. Look at the small cells in Toto-rak and you'll see what I mean.
    But doesn't that kind of prove they are actually giant cells? This is 2.0 content. They were willing to make dungeons that were difficult to see in for the sake of realism. If they had wanted them to be normal cells they would have made them normal cells. Just like in toto rak.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ein Dose
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrotica View Post
    But doesn't that kind of prove they are actually giant cells? This is 2.0 content. They were willing to make dungeons that were difficult to see in for the sake of realism. If they had wanted them to be normal cells they would have made them normal cells. Just like in toto rak.
    Yes, Haukke Manor is 2.0 content.

But Toto-Rak was 1.0 content. One of the things you can see change about the recycled 1.0 dungeons (such as Toto-Rak, Sastasha, and Dzemael Darkhold) compared to the new stuff made for 2.0 (such as Haukke Manor, Brayflox's Longstop, and Stone Vigil) is a tendency away from tight quarters and towards something much wider. Which I suspect to be equally because of the camera situation as it is about the fact even that early in, they knew the game was shaping up to be very 'dodge the AoEs'-focused.
    (6)