Player
    Character
    Alijana Tumet
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    I'm.. starting to doubt that to be really honest - it would be a little too convinent for his avatar to be Azem's soul shard, where every other RPR has a random voidsent (yes, I know Yoshi has dropped hints about
    being 'special' and having a connection to the story, but again, too convinent in my opinion).
    It doesn't feel like a stretch to me considering Zenos possessed the ability to see the color of souls.

If they wanted to make that actually play into something meaningful instead of dropping its relevance like with his visions of the Final Days, him using it to seek out a "familiar" voidsent would be logical...and with how much of a stickler he is for appropriate weaponry I feel like he'd have been equally picky about choosing a voidsent.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Sajah Lane
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 88
    Quote Originally Posted by KageTokage View Post
    It doesn't feel like a stretch to me considering Zenos possessed the ability to see the color of souls.
    Tin foil hat time! The fact that Zenos was dreaming of Amaurot, could see soul colors, and was immediately fixated on the WoL (before we were even a challenge for him) makes me wonder if the 'could Emet have found a way' line was perhaps in regards to cloning his soul. I suppose we'll never know, but the DNA hand wave by Yoshi-P for what seemed like something that was going to be an important plot point was frustrating.
    (1)

Character
    Lusa'to Vamthi
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    The Reaper voidsent having zero lore behind it was a very deliberate decision. The intent going forward seems to be to ignore all jon lore moving forward. We are not a reaper, a white mage, or a dragoon. We are the Warrior of Light and nothing else about us matters.

They may do a head nod to being able to heal or other things like that, but that was a concession to large amounts of player complaints.

The WoWififation of FF14 is upon us. Look upon the future and despair.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ein Dose
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrotica View Post
    The Reaper voidsent having zero lore behind it was a very deliberate decision. The intent going forward seems to be to ignore all jon lore moving forward. We are not a reaper, a white mage, or a dragoon. We are the Warrior of Light and nothing else about us matters.

They may do a head nod to being able to heal or other things like that, but that was a concession to large amounts of player complaints.

...we got a fairly decent amount of lore on both new jobs. Like, we know exactly what we're doing with those, we just didn't get an answer to this specific question.

And consider: maybe the reason we didn't get any information on this is because it doesn't actually matter. Maybe the Avatar isn't any particularly important voidsent, maybe it's just the voidsent equivalent of Greg from that accounting firm a few streets down.

'Unknown but not important' is far from new, after all. I've done every single job quest, and I can tell you that we don't know the previous owners of our crystal for Warrior, Paladin, Gunbreaker, Sage, Monk, Reaper, Bard, Dancer, Summoner, and Red Mage. And we only know of the previous owner for Ninja, we don't actually know anything about him. We never learn anything about those previous owners, and I think we all generally accept that the reason is probably because there's nothing all too worthwhile to tell.

Would you actually feel any different about Reaper if you were told that the voidsent Avatar is just a normal, nothing-special voidsent? Because I think that's the reason we weren't told.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Iyami Galvayra
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrotica View Post

It has literally never mattered what the player's job is beyond small nods here and there. Even when a job story just doesn't make sense later in the main story (ARR's dragoon quests are especially blatant, considering they introduced Estinien to the game). Acting like this is a new thing is incorrect.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Layte Aeon
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleretic View Post
    'Unknown but not important' is far from new, after all. I've done every single job quest, and I can tell you that we don't know the previous owners of our crystal for Warrior, Paladin, Gunbreaker, Sage, Monk, Reaper, Bard, Dancer, Summoner, and Red Mage. And we only know of the previous owner for Ninja, we don't actually know anything about him. We never learn anything about those previous owners, and I think we all generally accept that the reason is probably because there's nothing all too worthwhile to tell.
    Well we do find out who owned the sage crystal before us, though that one is relevant to the sage questline.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Grimr Astral
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    going forward se needs to careful they don't retcon other previous lore. This void sent bonding seems particularly close the mahchi black mages ( and i personally wont stand for it). I mean yes it makes sense the voidsent bonding doesnt kill us cause were wol but i sincerely doubt diabolos, lilith, scathach, Cuchulainn, etc were all bonded to statues like gargoyles are.

And for the record i'd rather have the old quests back than these boring role quest. I see a bunch of dancer stuff in thavanir and will we ever get a quest going to those statues in thavnir nope. Wowification of ff14 indeed.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ein Dose
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimr View Post
    going forward se needs to careful they don't retcon other previous lore. This void sent bonding seems particularly close the mahchi black mages ( and i personally wont stand for it). I mean yes it makes sense the voidsent bonding doesnt kill us cause were wol but i sincerely doubt diabolos, lilith, scathach, Cuchulainn, etc were all bonded to statues like gargoyles are.

And for the record i'd rather have the old quests back than these boring role quest. I see a bunch of dancer stuff in thavanir and will we ever get a quest going to those statues in thavnir nope. Wowification of ff14 indeed.
    I would suggest you read the lore before arguing that they didn't. There's actually a lot of different types of voidsent that have very different forms of manifestation outside of the Thirteenth. Y'shtola's example was gargoyles, who have been known to bond to statues since at least the release of the Encyclopedia Eorzea, and I presume earlier. Some other forms of voidsent bond to different things (mimics to treasure chests, succubus to dead bodies of women, multiple types of voidsent specifically to disembodied eyeballs), some especially weak or especially strong ones just come out in their physical form; imps, flan, Diabolos and Scathach all just come over in full.

There actually isn't a single piece of evidence that Mhach was chanelling voidsent into their living forms like Reapers do, although frankly I wouldn't be surprised; it's not that I think that's above or beneath them, I'm just not aware of them doing it. But even if they did... I mean, I don't see a problem with the Garlean Reapers borrowing from that if it works for them.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Alijana Tumet
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    The Mhachi were mentioned as having their strongest magi offer themselves up as vessels for powerful voidsent, though that was in a manner that made them very dead and wasn't "safe" like how reapers utilize Enshroud as that only permits a small portion of a voidsent's essence to cross over, but nonetheless runs the risk of the same outcome as the former method if the wielder is reckless and allows their will to falter.

It does make question me just how "dead" the likes of Diabolos and other powerful voidsent are considering that destroying their vessels would not necessarily destroy their souls and other instances of killing voidsent refer to it as simply "banishing them back to the void".
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Lythia Norvaine
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    It probably depends on whether the void connects to the Lifestream or not, which seems less likely because they'd just drain up all the aether in there. If it doesn't, you'd have a collection of vengeful spirits, starved of aether, cursed with immortality, unable to attain satisfaction, and nursing a 10000 year old grudge.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast