Player
    Character
    Autumn Rain
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90

!!! Fish always getting away! (since the last patch at least)

so I'm a level 90 fisher in full HQ 90 gear, I decided a little while back id go through my fishing log and complete it as i find it therapeutic and enjoyable, not to mention it greatly helps my mental health, however since the last patch no matter what I do, every time a 'rare' / 'time / weather' based fish ( !!! ) bites it always gets away.
    Now I'm only on the ARR part of my log at the moment, as I'm doing them In order of release, so its not a gathering or perception problem, but has there been a change to fishing that I missed or am I getting awful RNG, cause if its RNG i swear Square better fix it cause I shouldn't be struggling this badly.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jenna Starsong
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Big fishing has always been like that. Big fish (the !!! green fish) have set failure rates, often fairly low, that no amount of extra gear or stats will off-set.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Autumn Rain
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    im aware of the set rate, thats a whole other ordeal, which i think needs to be fixed, less than 2% catch rate on a fish from ARR, which doesn't even sell for 100gil on MB or to a vendor makes no sense, sure stupidly low catch rates when level 50 was end game but now? no wonder fishing is completely dead and only for the dedicated, bot users or those with truly no life.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jenna Starsong
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn-Rain View Post
    no wonder fishing is completely dead and only for the dedicated, bot users or those with truly no life.
    Well, yeah. That's the entire point of sport fishing. Big fishing has always been a mostly pointless, self contained collectathon. No one is forcing you to participate. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it doesn't mean the system is broken.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Autumn Rain
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    No one is forcing you to participate. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it doesn't mean the system is broken.
    1 by that argument the only things worth criticising and trying to fix are things we are forced to participate in
    2 im not saying i dislike it and that's why i think its broken, i think its broken because as an MMO where EVERYONE should be able to enjoy the aspects of the game, having it set to those with insane amounts of free time or a machine to do it for them defeats the point, and thats why i think its broken, I myself am a dedicated fisher i have been fishing on this game since i 1st got it on PS3.
    what you have responded with was neither helpful nor constructive and id request we keep it away from personal accusations. (for context though, I AM one of those people with insane amounts of free time, im medically unable to work, and thus am able to sink 13 hours non stop into fishing. hence why i can criticise this system, cause if even i cant do it then there is no way in hell a casual person who enjoys fishing will be able to, and i deem THAT broken)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Qoo Er
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    since the last patch [...] has there been a change to fishing that I missed or am I getting awful RNG.
    this is confirmation bias. the RNG is the same as it has always been. if you had success in the past and are missing the fish now, its just that.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jenna Starsong
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    i think its broken because as an MMO where EVERYONE should be able to enjoy the aspects of the game
    No MMO has ever been designed around everyone enjoying and engaging with every aspect of it. That's why there's such a wide variety of activities in the first place. So that you still have y and z even if you don't like x. Fishing is, by design, a slow grind designed to appeal specifically to the people looking for that type of activity. The devs don't expect most players will want to take part in it to begin with.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Autumn Rain
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Man with quotes like that you could be Amber Heard's Lawyer, or any of the news outlets following it XD, thanks for the attempt at helping i guess, but you avoided making any worthwhile arguments and seem to be jus stringing this along for your own entertainment so this thread is now closed.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Autumn Rain
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by QooEr View Post
    this is confirmation bias. the RNG is the same as it has always been. if you had success in the past and are missing the fish now, its just that.
    Thank you for confirming my RNG has jus been crap so far ill jus have to keep on fishing and hope for the best
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fruity Snacks
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    miiiinor little nit-pick.

There was a change a few years ago where some fish did have their rates increased, but only slightly.

Also - if you're using Patience, make sure you know which hookset to use for the !!! bites, not all !!! bites are Powerful Hookset, some are Precision!
    (0)