Player
    Character
    Sebazy Spiritwalker
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbane View Post
    Oh, you mean like Scholar's Chain Strategem's 10% increase in Crit rate?
    Or doesn't that count since it is applied to the target, not the party members?
    Not quite. Think instead of spending a GCD throwing a glare/broil etc, a job had the option to spend that GCD dropping a buff on a player.

Obviously buffs would need to be rather specific to avoid ballooning out of control, being able to add a % to the targets damage would be an obviously bad idea, think more along the lines of a 'on the next attack the target does an additional xxx potency' style.

You'd effectively be dealing damage indirectly by way of your party members with an added bonus of making that healer's targeting a little simpler as they wouldn't be so reliant on switching between party and monster targets.

And yep, the En- effect was a big thing in FFXI, I assume that's where the inspiration for what we saw in the intro was from given that 1.0 was in many ways a sequel and reboot to 11.
    (15)
    ~ WHM / badSCH / Snob ~ http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/871132/ ~

Player
    Character
    Sieya Mizuno
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorzean_username View Post
    It's actually a recurring thing in the FF franchise, "En-" (or sometimes Sword Magic) spells that add Elemental bonus effects to weapon attacks.

You can actually see some ARR mobs still using this, like some Amaljaa will use "Enfire", some Ixali will use "Enaero", etc.

I always thought it was odd that FFXIV had nothing similar, but then I always thought it was odd that FFXIV just ignored elemental vulnerabilities. Even if you disable them on bosses for Balance™, you could at least enable it on open-world mobs where nothing matters anyway, just to have some flavor...

And despite the devs's sincere hopes, the grotesque and irritating Eureka spinny wheel was not the same thing.

...Anyway, I guess few people want a world where you choose the correct En-spell to apply to your fighters to make a dungeon go faster. But it could still make for a fun bonus effect that, as you say, allows a Healer to contribute damage support without having to actually strike anything themself.
    I am pretty sure elemental weaknesses were a part of 1.0 and they decided to do away with it either at 2.0 launch or shortly after because they felt that it would lock certain jobs out of content if they could not meet that elemental weakness. Jobs ended up being shunned from top tier content anyway because of their damage output, and giving healers a range of spells that would add elements to attack would have resolved that issue.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by SieyaM View Post
    I am pretty sure elemental weaknesses were a part of 1.0 and they decided to do away with it either at 2.0 launch or shortly after because they felt that it would lock certain jobs out of content if they could not meet that elemental weakness. Jobs ended up being shunned from top tier content anyway because of their damage output, and giving healers a range of spells that would add elements to attack would have resolved that issue.
    They were in 1.x, but they didn't lock any jobs out of content.

Before Yoshida, only Conjurer was built around elements, but it had access to all 6 elements. Thaumaturge, meanwhile, was originally an oracle/priest class, and basically had no direct elemental weaknesses/resistances to worry about (as mobs were rarely if ever weak or resistant to Astral/Umbral/Poison/Blood, iirc).

That original Thaumaturge class was scrapped and half of Conjurer's kit just moved instead to nuThaumaturge when Yoshida took over, as to make an easier tie-in there for BLM, rather than Conjurer's being their original more druid/mage hybrids that could go in either direction (BLM or WHM). Even then, though, no mob was ever resistant to all three astral elements or all three umbral elements, so this was never much an issue.

Meanwhile, all non-casters classes could just fall back to wholly physical attacks (though those may have been more significantly split into piercing, slashing, and blunt attacks back then -- it's been a while). GLD, for instance, originally had a wind (Howling Blade) and fire (Red Lotus) skill available to it, but those were on shared resource costs with other options, so it was more like a rare bonus than a mainstay consideration.
    (2)
    Last edited by Shurrikhan; 05-21-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sid Zarkovitch
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    They should reward healers by healing you gain a nuke button dmg to press. nothing feels rewarded when you get something to do huge dmg by healing your teamates.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Silver Strider
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarkovitch View Post
    They should reward healers by healing you gain a nuke button dmg to press. nothing feels rewarded when you get something to do huge dmg by healing your teamates.
    They've tried and failed this with OG Lilies and Toxicon.
    It took 4 years for Misery to be made DPS neutral so I'm not liking the chances of this ever being the norm. Hell, I fully expect them to revert the Misery adjustment in 7.0 or at the very least forget to adjust the potency to keep up with Glare 4.
    (10)

Player
    Shadowflare - Ward Miasma II, Plot Broil IV
    Character
    Reiner Osborne
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Strider View Post
    They've tried and failed this with OG Lilies and Toxicon.
    It took 4 years for Misery to be made DPS neutral so I'm not liking the chances of this ever being the norm. Hell, I fully expect them to revert the Misery adjustment in 7.0 or at the very least forget to adjust the potency to keep up with Glare 4.
    I find it’s jarring to be thrown into good portion of ShB expansion duties via roulette as a WHM for their Misery is actually a straight up gain vs Glare spam. Knowing this fact very well, I was literally throwing out lolsolace/lolrapture even when there wasn’t any healing nor movement needed.

Perhaps it’s an oversight… but considering their previous Aero II ‘downgrade’ oversight that happened not long ago, can I be any more surprised at this point?
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Aylin Bielawska
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rein_eon_Osborne View Post
    Perhaps it’s an oversight… but considering their previous Aero II ‘downgrade’ oversight that happened not long ago, can I be any more surprised at this point?
    Definite oversight. I wonder what part of that was supposed to be a "bug?"
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MintnHoney View Post
    Definite oversight. I wonder what part of that was supposed to be a "bug?"
    Players: "Can we please add a Misery potency increase to Glare Mastery II?"

Devs: "But it all arrives at the same place anyways? Why wouldn't we just buff Misery directly?"

Players: *Remember that pre-level-cap content exists.*
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Deviously Enchanted
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rein_eon_Osborne View Post
    I find it’s jarring to be thrown into good portion of ShB expansion duties via roulette as a WHM for their Misery is actually a straight up gain vs Glare spam. Knowing this fact very well, I was literally throwing out lolsolace/lolrapture even when there wasn’t any healing nor movement needed.

Kind of like how on WAR(You already know where this is going) you don't get Storm's Path until level 50 so theoretically you shouldn't get Surging Tempest until level 50 right? WRONG!

You gain access to Surging Tempest through Mythril Tempest at level 40.

There was also a good 6 - 8 months(maybe longer) where Goring Blade for PLD was simply a better single target attack because the base damage was 390 + the DoT vs Rage of Halone 330 because you didn't unlock Royal Authority(420) until level 60.

Simply put they need to hire more people who actually play the game.
    (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Just because other players play the game. Does not mean you got to be mindful, or care
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone 2
    The problem ISN'T healers rotation is busted or boring...

Player
    Character
    Aylin Bielawska
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Daily reminder that, despite that one person about 15 or so pages ago, the healer role really does still need an overhaul.
    (9)

Page 48 of 160 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 ... LastLast