Player
    Character
    Kael Sunsinger
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 68

Squadron Expanded?

I have been slowly sifting through threads, but does anyone have any direct information if squadrons would ever see an update?

Think about the possibilities: Up the squadron cap to something like 16, have additional special slots for your MSQ party per expansion, allow squad members to choose advanced jobs at level 60 (the current cap). I personally find squadron missions and the thrill of finding the right recruits or special recruits to be really fun.

It feels as the Grand Companies hold less and less weight as the story moves on. This could perhaps establish some additional questlines where you help the Grand Company with various elite tasks, seeing as you are capped on your rank eventually anyways.

The squadrons and Trust system could be combined even, and perhaps have more 8-person dungeons and the ability for you to run them with your squadron. This could even introduce the chance to bring back the Gambit system from XII, allowing players to fine-tune and learn new ways for their party's tactics in combat.

Please, if anyone has any relevant information or thoughts, share them below
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Kael Sunsinger
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 68
    Would anyone else have interest in the Gambit system making a return in XIV? I feel like it would really enhance the solo player experience
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Avnus Vabruyt
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    I definitely think that squadrons should be updated and they should be able to take on jobs. That said I don't think they should have access to all jobs abilities just key skills to help you get through content. Though the main issue I see with squadrons is AI especially tank AI. Healer AI is also pretty bad but not as bad a tanks imo.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    The whole squadrons thing feels like they were kinda forgotten after that last little push and even that was "token" feeling.

I really REALLY would like more to do with my GC/squadrons. I spent a lot of time developing them and dressing them and stuff. Now I just go make them do squats occasionally for S&G.
    (7)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

Player
    Character
    Kael Sunsinger
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 68
    Quote Originally Posted by AvenoMatt View Post
    I definitely think that squadrons should be updated and they should be able to take on jobs. That said I don't think they should have access to all jobs abilities just key skills to help you get through content. Though the main issue I see with squadrons is AI especially tank AI. Healer AI is also pretty bad but not as bad a tanks imo.
    The AI is not great, but combine the Squadron and Trust AI, and introduce more complex customizable tactics through Gambits and I think this would solve it!

Your healers would know to stop fighting and swiftcast > rez something, you can set your tank to care more for aggro vs damage, etc.

And since they already have "Tactics" for your squadron, perhaps Gambits would be unlocked in a similar, somewhat random fashion to keep players interested. Aside from Gambits, add new units for the Hrothgar and Viera, expand the job system, and perhaps let the PC create a massive Adventurer Grand Company, perhaps revive the Crystal Braves as a shared Grand Company and give Alphinaud a little redemption arc for it.
    (2)
    Last edited by Renmir; 07-21-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kael Sunsinger
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 68
    Quote Originally Posted by Krotoan View Post
    The whole squadrons thing feels like they were kinda forgotten after that last little push and even that was "token" feeling.

I really REALLY would like more to do with my GC/squadrons. I spent a lot of time developing them and dressing them and stuff. Now I just go make them do squats occasionally for S&G.
    Same! I'm currently working on getting my favorite units in each slot and getting their looks to feel unique
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Waira Amarilla
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    I would really like this. In particular, being allowed to have a second or thread Squadron depending on your rank.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jenna Starsong
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Squadrons were probably always just a prototype for Trusts. I doubt we'll see command missions expanded in any meaningful way.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Hildbrand Manderville
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    They're good enough for leveling at your own pace, and way faster/more efficient than trusts too. It would be nice if they went all the way to lv70 content but 61~70 feels like it goes way faster than 51~60 IMO that I don't miss them that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Squadrons were probably always just a prototype for Trusts. I doubt we'll see command missions expanded in any meaningful way.
    I can't believe the prototype is better designed than the complete product!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    In general I think all the companion-like systems should receive a relook, ensuring each has a satisfyingly position. I would think it neat if you could for example bring your chocobo along in a dungeon (as a member if empowered to fit as such).

I do like that the trusts have banter, and would love to encourage deepening the player connection to npcs, could potentially do that with squadrons but because there are so many potential members that sounds quite daunting (meanwhile trusts are obviously more narrowed down). Was part of another thread but could be a fun time to add back your 1.0 companions, perhaps literally under the companion system, give the chocobo and companion different progression systems and some slightly different pros and cons (maybe companions are easier to quickly strengthen due to gear, meanwhile chocobos take more time and particularly mini games and such, though neither in the end designed to be useless over the other).

Might note though that I think trusts, strongly feel, need a new progression system, and hopefully also can capture some of that value at some point that squadrons had. Squadrons are way stronger than trusts lol. It's honestly weird to go from my OP squadrons that destroy things faster than most groups can, and then go to trusts, these epic heroes, who tickle the toes of monsters and do warm bath and massages before gently tucking the enemies to sleep. I think perhaps more of a merit system or something where you can unlock boosts in power (perhaps with limited amount of active nodes if SE wanted to add a level of customization, which could include nodes beyond new abilities and stat boosts to different AI patterns, yet they're always the level that they need to be for the content you're doing).

If trusts were to take over from the start, which may be cool in some ways, like if you got to do your MSQ level 50 dungeon with cid and other story npcs - that would probably offer a more narrative driven experience over some quiet squadrons. Which lead me to think perhaps squadrons should be moved then to ... well more squadron / military focused concepts, like you can go out to do expeditions to strengthen your garrison, add trading routes, chocobo caravan set up, outposts, perhaps in some ways grow a sense of army, one might build an outpost in a lava cave unlocking some unique crafting bonuses or opportunities (forged in the fires of mount doom! lol), squadrons trailing behind trusts on purpose but focused entirely on a different content concept. Maybe even add some Dynasty Warrior like vibe opportunities (like there are HUGE fields of enemies, and like dynasty warrior, you'd kind of get this swarm like mosh fighting vibe). Had mentioned for a different content these hamlet defense being brought in for FC content (make a hamlet, defend a hamelt, assault beastmen strongholds), and maybe use some of that here too taking your squadron to assault a stronghold maybe akin feeling to taking on a stronghold in Shadow Of War (lord of the rings game). Certainly some marrige could be done with FC and GC, in terms of systems as they're both companies - some of your assets earned from your conquests for your GC may add value to your FC (and I think adding relationship value to your FC would be a cool new progression opportunity, especially in context of building a hamlet- since currently that relationship info is kind of meaningless "yay Immortal Flames like us.. ya...y....? doesn't matter". Another thought was squadrons might open up into owning your own airship, and these members being part of your crew.

Again, though ensuring as much as possible that each piece feels like it's a piece that isn't awkwardly overlapping and stealing from another and should fit into that other.
    (2)
    Last edited by Shougun; 07-22-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast