Player
    Character
    Larek Darkholme
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoyoshi View Post
    He's the absolute worst. I'm hoping he gets so confused and frustrated by the gameplay that he runs back to WoW.
    The lovely FF14 community everyone, round of applause.
    (19)

Larek Darkholme @ Ragnarok

Player
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hysterior View Post
    ... One person is not representative of an entire community. It's like grabbing that one homeless guy in a town who swears at cars and flashes little kids and going "The population of Oregon everyone!"
    (6)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

Player
    Character
    Kokoro Liliro
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodric View Post
    We see more boldness in terms of changes to the game world and leadership. We're still stuck with the exact same leader figures in the major city states since the days of ARR and the writers seem terrified to kill off any character who isn't an antagonist or minor character. WoW may go overboard with death from time to time, though at least it shakes things up.

The stakes are higher, generally. The losses are felt. The land is scarred. We haven't see any of that since the transition from 1.0 to 2.0 and that was done because 1.0 was considered to be such a disaster that it needed to be rebuilt from the ground up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodric View Post
    When even minor characters are encased in a thick layer of plot armour it's difficult for me to care about what happens - because we already know that in 99% of cases nobody is actually going to be threatened. It's a real shame, since ARR had a lot of moments where the stakes were high and consequences were felt such as the assault upon the Waking Sands.
    Quote Originally Posted by KizuyaKatogami View Post
    They can’t even kill off characters anymore in 14 because people make such a big deal out of it when they do. It really takes the feeling of loss and consequences out of the story which is something that should always be a prominent thing in such a “high stakes” story.
    Yeah. FFXIV feels sorta like a Disney movie at this point, where everybody is going to pat themselves on the back and live happily ever after and there won't be any real losses along the way.

Another thing that was nice about WoW too is that you feel the passage of time. The cities are attacked, and then rebuilt. There are changes in leadership that mark the end of eras (like Thrall to Garrosh, or Anduin succeeding Varian), to have been in Teldrassil and to have heroically, but vainly fought trying to save as many people as you could as it burned to ashes. It feels really storied to have been in Azeroth as the pages of history turns, and you just don't get that feeling in FFXIV.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Yunea Yevon
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MoofiaBossVal View Post
    Yeah. FFXIV feels sorta like a Disney movie at this point, where everybody is going to pat themselves on the back and live happily ever after and there won't be any real losses along the way.

Another thing that was nice about WoW too is that you feel the passage of time. The cities are attacked, and then rebuilt. There are changes in leadership that mark the end of eras (like Thrall to Garrosh, or Anduin succeeding Varian), to have been in Teldrassil and to have heroically, but vainly fought trying to save as many people as you could as it burned to ashes. It feels really storied to have been in Azeroth as the pages of history turns, and you just don't get that feeling in FFXIV.
    From what I understand, you don't kill off characters unless they serve their purpose, they are meant to be killed of/be fodder, or if their death has a purpose; like to motivate a character. So the way I see it the characters aren't killed off because they still have something to offer. But, the Fake Deaths do need to stop. Its kind of a cheap way to get someone invested just to be all "Just kidding"...especially twice or 3+ times
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Larek Darkholme
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Krotoan View Post
    ... One person is not representative of an entire community. It's like grabbing that one homeless guy in a town who swears at cars and flashes little kids and going "The population of Oregon everyone!"
    OK then, from page 1 of this thread only (won't go through 14 pages)

Quote Originally Posted by Ativan View Post
    Get ready for an influx of toxicity - homophobia, transphobia, ableism, sexism...This is the worst day of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by korekera View Post
    Honey, you would not be happy about this when his toxic fans infect this game, mkay? ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakonic View Post
    Oh great his fans and his guild are a meme for a reason. They can barely complete a raid with two mechanics total and spent like 8 hours wiping to a raid that's more than a decade old. Any actual triple legend would not want this horde of casuals to come to this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkdays View Post
    The great attention seeker comes to the place where he will get the most attention (and money) possible. Shocking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasselin View Post
    I hope they are ready to hire an additional army of moderators. I'm not welcoming to people who are toxic, bigoted, and sexist. The game might initially grow but would be set on a path to become just like every other toxic gaming community where many don't feel welcome and end up leaving.
    Better? Feels more welcoming?
    (12)

Larek Darkholme @ Ragnarok

Player
    Character
    Neoyoshi Kaligawa
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90

How would you welcome them?
    (0)

Journey to all fish: 1214/1514 (300 remaining) [80%]

Player
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90

I don't have to prove that individual people don't represent the entire population. Every population contains jerks. Your take away is "look this how horrible the entire gaming population of FFXIV is!" .. mine is "some people are jerks that doesn't mean they're all jerks."

Your point isn't any more salient than all those people you quoted using experiences with horrible people in a streamers fanbase to represent the entirety of the fanbase.

It's just as bad a take.

The fact you included a couple of.. well.. lets be charitable: Questionably genuine forum members, doesn't help lend any validity.
    (6)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

Player
    Character
    Yesunova Hotgo
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    In fairness I get people's concerns on this one. I think people will happily welcome WoW refugees, there's literally a thread from a couple of days ago where somebody's posted a "I'm a WoW player of 14 years and I'm now a refugee and new player to FFXIV" thread and people were welcoming of this person. So it's not about WoW players vs FFXIV players, heck many FFXIV players are ex-WoW players. Heck there have been streamers who have come over the people have cheered on.

When it comes to Asmongold and his community I think people are worried he'll bring some of that toxicity with him and that it'll cause problems/clashes. Whilst we have our types of toxicity and the FFXIV community isn't perfect, they're people who make fun of FFXIV and it's community, write it off as 'weeb s***' and I think there is worry about the troll potential, and let's face it that's why MPK is so excited.

Whilst I'm not one for responding to toxicity with more toxicity, but I can get people don't want that kind of stuff here.
    (6)
    Last edited by Saefinn; 06-17-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Player
    Character
    Lanore Evermourne
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90

Actually, after speaking with a friend I have revised by feelings on this issue. I'm not narrow-minded and prone to stereotyping after all. Only real unsavory types would do that based on a few comments after all...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Meluwen Ember
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameovers View Post
    I feel like the fact that if you have to go out of the game to find the lore then it's bad. Destiny was shamed for this and rightfully so. So it's odd WoW gets a pass.. I find that a failure in gamedesign... but that is just my opinion. XIV does it better simply because I don't have to go out hunting and buying books for something that should've been explain in the game itself.
    WoW lore goes back to the older warcraft where it was already releasing books, comics etc so that's probably why or a good reason to people don't cry about it

Quote Originally Posted by Neoyoshi View Post
    He's the absolute worst. I'm hoping he gets so confused and frustrated by the gameplay that he runs back to WoW.

gcbtw
    (3)
    Last edited by Sotaris; 06-17-2021 at 07:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Don't you have something better to do with your life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vahlnir View Post
    TitanMen doesn't sleep. He waits.

Page 55 of 118 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast