Player
    Character
    Coby Malus
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenstrauch View Post
    You might have misunderstood what this thread is about. Nobody is talking about voice acting performances or low quality audio. They're referring to this specific scene, and its implication for future story content: https://youtu.be/vCNiYDRQgDI?t=231

"We hear an odd, tinny sound when Y'shtola talks about there being a day when they might not be able to tackle their problems alone"

Yeah I got caught up on the description without first revisiting the scene itself. With the scene uh, seen, that sound doesn't seem to have any particular meaning in itself and feels like it was an overemphasized pause for effect. Like a drumroll.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hashmael Lightswain
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Why in the worlds would anyone think Y'shtola would even consider retiring after discovering a means of interdimensional (intershard?) travel? If she could figure out how to readily get to one, I can't imagine she'd simply stop there. There's still more shards to visit, more knowledge to research.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Kokoro Liliro
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Turethir View Post
    We hear an odd, tinny sound when Y'shtola talks
    My thought was that it was actually the Sound coming back and that the Scions were more sensitive to hearing it than everyone else because of the loose connection between their body and soul, but given how we haven't heard the Sound since 5.3 I'm guessing it might not have actually been it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by MoofiaBossVal View Post
    My understanding is that the Sound is coming back right now.

In 4.5, you had Matoya's magics shorting out. A few people I've talked to have attributed that to the Light aether from the First, but light aspected aether shorting out magic is not an effect demonstrated in the story. What is? The Sound. at the end of 5.0 we learned that the Sound warped the magics the Ancients used.

Then, in 5.2, Urianger heard a sound which ruined his water walking spell. In 5.3, Alisae and Y'shtola hear the Sound as well. These incidents are distinct from Thancred becoming tired due to his soul being divorced from his body.
    As for Y'shtola retiring with Runar on the First: that'd be nice, but I don't see how it could possibly happen. The story has been very clear that moving your body between shards is pretty much impossible. The Scions, Unukalhai, and Clyva were only able to go to the First as ghosts (and FFXIV has been inconsistent on that: the Scions were fading away as ghosts, but Ardbert, Unukalhai, and Clyva weren't. I guess maybe they have the echo and that allows them to stick around as long?). Not even the Ascians are capable of bringing their bodies on the Source to the First; Emet had to possess some random sob and reconfigure his physique, and Elidibus possessed Ardbert's body. There are only two characters in FFXIV who were able to bring their bodies over to the First: the Crystal Exarch (by riding the Crystal Tower, using a huge amount of aether to do it), and the WoL (due to really wonky writing that makes the WoL the one exception). Unless the Ironworks are able to recreate the time travel/dimensional transporter and install it in the Crystal Tower and allow Y'shtola to use that to go to the First, there is no way she is able to get there.

And besides, Y'shtola's is said to have been burning up her life force by using her eyes to see aether. Or at least, that was a line dropped when she started using her eyes to do so and it hasn't been brought up since, so it kinda feels like a cheap excuse that didn't mean anything in the end. I'd sorta like for that plot point to be cashed in and for her to fall ill or pass away after 6.0.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Nyr Ardyne
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    The Warriors of Darkness in Heavensward came though with physical bodies I believe, similar to ascians but I could be wrong.

Y'shtola seems to think that it'd be possible for her to eventually do it herself in that 5.3 scene so who knows. Just because something seems impossible now doesn't mean nobody will ever find a way to do it. I mean until the last couple of patches tempering was always seen as impossible to cure, until suddenly we had a cure. So I wouldn't write off the possibility of Y'shtola eventually figuring out this puzzle if the writers want it to happen.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kokoro Liliro
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    The Warriors of Darkness in Heavensward came though with physical bodies I believe, similar to ascians but I could be wrong.
    Ardbert said in 3.4 that he killed his crew's bodies on the First when they made the journey to the Source. At the time there was no explanation as to how they apparently had bodies on the Source. I guess Shadowbringers retconned that into them being ghosts walking around on the Source. I guess Elidibus used his teleportation ability to bring their souls across from the First to the Source.

I guess maybe if the WoL used Azem's memory crystal to awaken his Ascian/Amaurotine powers, he could also open a teleportation portal for Y'shtola's soul to travel to the First, but then she would be a ghost without a body that would slowly disappear since she doesn't have the Echo (unless she acquired the Resonant during 6.0?).
    (3)
    Last edited by MoofiaBossVal; 05-04-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Player
    Character
    Nyr Ardyne
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    They were dead yeah but that didn't necessarily mean they didn't bring their bodies with them and then their bodies got sent back with Minfilia to stop the flood, but I don't think we really got a proper explanation on that.

If Yshtola traversed the void in the known ways there could be issues but I"m not ruling out her just finding another way to do it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Coby Malus
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MoofiaBossVal View Post
    And besides, Y'shtola's is said to have been burning up her life force by using her eyes to see aether. Or at least, that was a line dropped when she started using her eyes to do so and it hasn't been brought up since, so it kinda feels like a cheap excuse that didn't mean anything in the end. I'd sorta like for that plot point to be cashed in and for her to fall ill or pass away after 6.0.
    Worth noting that any mention of life force was english-only and all other versions say it's just vaguely dangerous to be doing. Also that all magics that use personal aether draw from your life-force in a sense. The actual effect probably simply amounts to putting a lower cap on the amount of personal aether she can safely expend before resting.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tonrak Totorak
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I'm sure they can always think of an explanation as to how Y'shtola will find a way back into the 1st if the devs want her to go back there. But since she's so popular I doubt they'll ever "retire" Y'shtola and she'll always be companion.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kesey Stryker
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by myahele View Post
    I'm sure they can always think of an explanation as to how Y'shtola will find a way back into the 1st if the devs want her to go back there. But since she's so popular I doubt they'll ever "retire" Y'shtola and she'll always be companion.
    I think retirement is the most likely option. The idea we are moving into a season 2 of the game's story telling will probably necessitate a few new characters. They can retire some of the more seasoned characters out, like Thancred, Y'shtola, and Urianger without having to kill them. Then the possibility of their return or cameos can become highlights of the future.

The idea that Y'shtola could find a way for anyone to travel between the shards, so she could get back to Runar, then opens the pathway for the WOL and their present company to go to any shard that still exists in the future story telling, without it being a huge mystery as to how this is possible.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Malcolm Varanidae
    World
    Marilith
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    They were dead yeah but that didn't necessarily mean they didn't bring their bodies with them and then their bodies got sent back with Minfilia to stop the flood, but I don't think we really got a proper explanation on that.

If Yshtola traversed the void in the known ways there could be issues but I"m not ruling out her just finding another way to do it.
    They just inhabited dead bodies like any acian or person with the echo would
    (1)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast