Character
    Alijana Tumet
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    In the order that I did the content.

Werlyt

Somehow, I'm not surprised Allie ended up being the one to make it out of the whole mess alive, though I was honestly a little concerned they were just going to leave her catatonic at the end.

I think I'm mostly satisfied that Valens met his end in a manner fitting for the wrongs he had committed. I definitely didn't expect that twist that he decided to just ditch his original forced Oversoul scheme in favor of making Alphonse himself the core for the Diamond Weapon which backfired horribly as it mostly allowed the orphans' scheme to play out as they had been hoping it would. I had considered the possibility of Diamond being operated as a tandem machine by both of them in advance, though, and that kind of came true in a twisted way.

I am curious in what role Gaius will potentially play in the future now that he's committed himself to helping Werlyt establish a new governance for the time being.

Nier

Err...I really don't have much to say about this one.

The mechanics on some of the bosses were interesting (The third boss was the star of the raid IMO), but the actual story just kind of ended with a whimper and the main point that were brought up (Namely the how/why of the dwarves crossing over into the other world) didn't actually get explained.

I'm not really expecting anything noteworthy to come from the drip-feeding of story we're getting from the weekly quest, either.

MSQ

I never really considered the possibility that Tiamat herself likely had been tempered by her proximity to Bahamut. It was interesting to learn that her brood also had a friendly relationship with the peoples of Meracydia for a time before the Ascians and Allagans ruined everything, and having her finally break free and resume her life with a positive outlook was really satisfying after regularly passing her on my trips through Azys Lla.

The dungeon was really good and made me wonder just how big of a conflict we'll be facing in 6.0 with the sheer amount of tempered comprising the Telophoroi's forces.

Mu suspicion about the towers being powered by the tempered ended up being true...though I'm curious as to what the heck they intend to do about them in the long term if they're basically primal factories. as they can't be ignored. I'm glad Arenvald survived the incident despite the numerous death flags he raised in the brief time before his departure, though.

it seems like we're finally going to get an answer to why Hydaelyn has been all hush-hush with Krile being the one to finally question why she hasn't spoken for so long, and the mention of possible interference does make me wonder what's been going on since we last spoke.

Lastly, I'm really curious about what the "you-know-what" Fandaniel mentioned is considering that the Garlean royal palace is now basically a much bigger version of the towers we've been seeing, which would imply it's meant to be used in the summoning of something much more unpleasant. My first thought was Anima, though what role it would have to play eludes me.
    (9)
    Last edited by KageTokage; 04-14-2021 at 01:11 AM.

Player
    Character
    Edwin Li
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    MSQ

I guess at this point we should expect Sharlayan as the other location for the expansion since they just set up that place.

Weapon Story

The FEELS!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, looks like Gaius been holding back on us.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Vicious Zvahl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    MSQ
    It all proceeded as I expected, with a few twists here and there. I hadn't expected Aymeric and Lucia to show up in the dungeon. Tiamat really nuked that one pull with her breath, awesome. I got Thancred nuked and then wiped on the final pull by putting too much faith in the Trust system, but none of my friends were on, and I wanted to get in all the patch battle content before sleep.

They've left Arenvald's fate vague again. Seems to be a reoccurring theme with him. Like how he was just absent after the raid on the Scions, and then literally only reappeared in 4.0. Like we know he's in critical condition, but the writers really leave themselves a lot of wiggle room with him as a character. It's kind of nice, because it makes it harder to read what exactly they'll do with him. You'd think with both Fordola and him having Primal slaying experience, and Ifrit being one of the most commonly summoned primals... he could have at least used that buckler of his instead of No-T-posing. I hope he makes it.

Sorrow of Werlyt
    So they went with the girl, but we all kinda expected it, right? Though many wished for Alphonse to be alive, it's what made sense with the story.
    I really enjoyed the fight. My healers were sorta slow to pick up on the, "Auri fighting style." I went on Warrior, and the other tank was also a Warrior. On the winning pull, both healers bought it around 12% and me and the other WAR, the SAM, and the BLM, finished it off. I died by the end because I took the stack buster alone with Holmgang, so it felt nice and epic.

Guess those shells are what he used against Ascians, maybe? Or perhaps he developed it after seeing us fight Emerald Weapon.

Glad that Gaius gets a second chance. I'm a big fan of second chances and redemption.

Nier

Cool fights but...

Wat.

Also not really digging the story being stretched out with dwarves that I don't really care about.
    (8)

(Signature portrait by Amaipetisu)

"I thought that my invincible power would hold the world captive, leaving me in a freedom undisturbed. Thus night and day I worked at the chain with huge fires and cruel hard strokes. When at last the work was done and the links were complete and unbreakable, I found that it held me in its grip." - Rabindranath Tagore

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyrerus View Post
    [Arenvald] was just absent after the raid on the Scions, and then literally only reappeared in 4.0.
    He wasn't active in the story but he was never absent. He's at the Waking Sands, taking a long time to get over his survivor's guilt after his friends died in the raid.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    A small thing that bugged me in the MSQ...

Estinien mistaking Alisaie for Alphinaud. Maybe at a distance, but anyone who ever confuses them realises their mistake as soon as they hear the twin speak - but Estinien didn't. It felt forced.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    W'fharl Tia
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscah View Post
    A small thing that bugged me in the MSQ...

Estinien mistaking Alisaie for Alphinaud. Maybe at a distance, but anyone who ever confuses them realises their mistake as soon as they hear the twin speak - but Estinien didn't. It felt forced.
    I loved that part actually.
    It feels like countless repetitions of the "Alphi looks like a girl" joke were all leading to that moment. And, to be fair, her JP line was literally two quiet syllables, so not enough to make a precise vocal identification.
    (18)
    あっきれた。

Character
    Matthieu Desrosiers
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Nier Raids:

In terms of aesthetics, music and fight mechanics I have no complaints. It's a solid raid when it comes to those aspects. The story is very vague in parts, though I suppose that's intentional since it is a crossover with another setting at the end of the day. I'm choosing to view it as being a glorified side quest without thinking too much on the broader implications.

I'm a little disappointed that both the 8 man and 24 man raid series revolved so heavily around girly characters, though. Eden at least had some male character fanservice in the form of Fatebreaker but Nier has none.

Here's hoping whatever we get in 6.0 has more testosterone to it.
    (5)

Character
    Kizuya Katogami
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 81
    Werlyt:
    Wasn't a big fan of this storyline to begin with. It was pretty predictable from the start so i was hoping for this final section they'd do something unpredictable like actually kill off the girl for once but nope. Instead they killed off the brother(of course). Im personally a bigger fan of 2.0 Gaius rather than 4.0/5.0 Gaius so his arc just felt kind of meh to me overall.

Nier:
    So ever since the first raid i had been hoping for an eventual 9s coffer since they had given people the feminine 2b coffer. Alas, i guess they decided more female glams were necessary for this raid as well. Overall i think it was an okay raid. Music was good and the bosses were pretty interesting. I still think Orbonne is my favorite alli raid. As for the story part of it, not going to lie i let out a laugh upon seeing them write off the story as how they do for every other event crossover where its just "portal to another world".
    (6)
    Last edited by KizuyaKatogami; 04-14-2021 at 05:00 AM.

Player
    Character
    E'renndis Harper
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    A really short summary of MSQ, Werlyt and Nier (not really a spoiler, I guess..)

(8)

Player
    Character
    Tristain Archambeau
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Overall, I enjoyed the pacing and cast better than 5.4’s. I haven’t touched Nier or Werlyt yet so I’ll probably come back to those later… first thoughts on the MSQ:

Tempering…

So the plot greatly thickens yet again around this phenomenon. Tiamat is tempered, albeit more mildly than the beast tribes, so she retains her will, and as her memories pour back in, so too does the tempering wane before being purged. The risk to her is if Bahamut were to return, she might be compelled to do his bidding. This is limited form of tempering in turn is speculated to be due to the nature of the summon, in this case being her consort. I found it intriguing how Estinien channelled that part of him that is Nidhogg to goad her rage.

I think this goes some way to addressing why the Ascians seem to enjoy a significant degree of autonomy, and why they are driven mostly by the strength of their duty as members of the Convocation, and perhaps why Emet placed such value on retaining his memory. The sheer power of their souls, and the intention with which they summoned Zodiark, as an instrument of salvation. Emet-Selch is fully conscious he is not a god in the true sense, even if he does revere him for what he achieved for them – a point he makes in Rak’tika. At the same time, where such a plot point could be relevant to them is, if Zodiark were to be returned, albeit corrupted by Zenos and Fandaniel, it could affect them, and so perhaps there will be some scope to un-temper some of the sundered Overlords, depending on whether they’re tempered – I think there’s indications that they are but it’s admittedly not 100% clear.

At the same time, Fandaniel’s towers are capable of tempering in Garlemald’s name (extending even to the so-called “Telodragons” - Meracydian dragons), which perplexes Urianger, as tempering is thought to be a Primal phenomenon. This in turn can lead enthralled summoners to summon Primals which themselves don’t temper and are obedient. In addition, Lyse mentions early on that those untampered also revealed hearing an ear-splitting roar - an allusion to (a mimicry of) the sound of ancient times?

All this makes me wonder how they are going to handle Hydaelyn. This specific “trick” on how to enthral a Primal still requires tempered summoners to be achieved – hers by all accounts did not seem to be enthralled in that way. Tiamat, even summoning her consort (in concept) and thus equal, was tempered; all this affected was the strength of it. There’s also indications from 3.2 and 3.4 and other references that she does temper. Therefore, for now, I don’t see any clear indications that this new plot element implies she is a primal similarly enthralled as Lunar Bahamut… but we don’t have the full picture, and it’s not out of the question that what we identify as the Primal is not too dissimilar to Lunar Bahamut while someone else pulls the strings. However, the mere presence of a "Heart", which could leave her at any point, also allows for that.

On the cast…

So far, I enjoyed Estinien’s presence. I had forgotten his voice somewhat, and the ruggedness of it plus his blunter tone all endeared me to him. Along with Arenvald, he also has been cast as one of two of Alphinaud’s masculine “older brother” types. I also enjoyed Fordola and her icier, more defensive posture. I sort of hope they don’t do what they did with Estinien, and have her soften in the face of the Scions’ sense of idealism, so as to maintain some distinctiveness between their approaches, but it seems all but inevitable… along with Estinien and Arenvald, her voice acting was also top notch.

Finally, we are seeing the Scions begin to reflect upon what we learnt in SHB, and wonder about the Blessing of Light, and specifically Krile and Y’shtola. Though this is still in a very open-ended way, by surmising that Hydaelyn might be prevented in communicating with the WoL by something (Yshtola’s dialogue after is even more open-ended and asks you to keep an open mind.) If you suggest to Y’shtola that the last time she spoke was in 5.2, she will correct the MC on that. Thancred interjects that they don’t even know her will through Minfilia, as she was still her own person.

It was obvious that the story would begin delving into the nature of Hydaelyn, but the stage wasn’t yet set up until now. My suspicion is that the Blessing has some capacity to bring about a form of tempering, through aligning one’s aether to the Primal, and that this link, being what it is, can therefore be broken. I am wondering if the reason behind her silence relates to something Elidibus had said in the 2.0 Convocation meeting in the JP version apparently, about how they are playing her game by invoking these Calamities, which she intends for man to survive through, noting how man becomes more "bestial" (less human - probably less closer to an Ancient) through this process. This has always seemed at odds with 5.0 lore but then there might be something going on on the Aetherial Sea we're not aware of, affecting the whole process of how the bodies of the mortal races form etc, since it is all aetherically driven. My take on her is less that she’s malicious and more that the primal, as we know her, and whoever is in the controller seat, are two separate things.

Zenos… eh, whatever. He seems to be led by the nose by Fandaniel, who in turn seems to be deliberately concealing aspects of his plan so that Zenos only knows the “big picture” but not the importance of specific parts of the puzzle. Much how Fandaniel isn’t too phased about losing the Meracydian dragons, whereas Zenos is quite vexed about it for once. I imagine the “big reveal” will be that his weapon ties to the new DPS they’re adding – apparently an archaic weapon according to the French version. Fandaniel's casual reference to the "You-know-what" was a little odd, but I guess it helps keep his plans a little ambiguous.

One thing I noticed is when Estinien addresses the MC privately about their dealings with the Ascians, the subtler undertones creep back in. Though he does not disagree with this more reconciliatory approach, he warns you of the risks of extending a friendly hand and how it can render one easier to exploit. Understandably given that both Zenos (he says this to himself, but his mentality is known to the WoL) and Fandaniel have made it clear they won’t be reasoned out of their goals. Fandaniel is no Emet-Selch or Elidibus, either, in terms of his stated goals, although I am sure he will come with a compelling backstory if nothing else.

Similarly, the Scions speak of the Telophoroi rather than the Ascians, and mention of the latter is only in front of Tiamat, presumably to channel her rage. A blossoming parallel between Estinien and the MC which I see is that, much as Estinien has some of Nidhogg in him and therefore doesn’t want to see Tiamat abused as a tool for “evil”, so too does the WoL bear the remembrance and duty of Emet-Selch and Elidibus, and (as Y’shtola already alluded to), will likely not want to see Zodiark abused in a similar vein. It is worth noting from the level 80 DRG quest that Nidhogg had a remarkably similar view of the mortal races to the unsundered Ascians, judging mortal man as unworthy of acting as custodians of the star.

Can’t say I cared for sparkly-eyed G’raha, although the Estinien scene with Alisaie got a slight chuckle out of me.

On the politics…

Interesting that both lord Nerva and the 3rd have gone out of sight. Given the current state of Garlemald, I would not imagine they’d have much interest in serving Zenos, and I also assume they managed to get out before the tempering hit. Raubahn’s revelation that the alliance had planned to flank the empire from both east and west to force it into a peace treaty (rather than inflict a surrender upon it) leads me to think that the Garlean refugees will be dealt with pragmatically. The same is evinced in Alisaie’s desire to untemper the Garleans so as to reason with them.

Fandaniel’s plan is evidently not outright death and destruction in the usual, direct manner, so I agree with speculation that his plan is subtler and he’s doing something else with the aether from the Primals he’s summoning; their defeat probably plays to his advantage. An idea that comes to mind is he could intend to use the right sort of enslaved thralls to summon Zodiark, to ensure the Primal’s will is not restored and he is obedient, with the other Primals serving as disposable methods to this greater end. I am keen to see if this is frustrated somehow, and he has to go for Hydaelyn, or whether his entire gameplan is something more elaborate from the outset.

I enjoyed the dungeon better than the two previous ones and particularly the final fight, with this so-called “Telotherium”. The Twisted Scream (coupled with the dark red beams), as well as the peculiar, spiral appearance of Kan Rhai. Sick music, too. That, as well as the organic, squelching structure inside the towers, and the strange pattern of the aether on the ground, make me wonder just where Fandaniel learnt all this, as it is rather different to anything we’ve seen of the Ascians or indeed, even Mhach, but it's hard to deny the resemblance to parts of the Void Ark. The beast tribe stuff felt a bit hand-wavey but given that they want to wrap up some existing plot points so as not to distract from the impending “final days”, I guess it’s to be expected.

Lastly, with Krile now decided on heading to Sharlayan, and her station as a Student of Baldesion serving as no guarantee that she will have their ear, it does look likely that this will be a main destination in 6.0.

Misc

Very pleased to see the effect they used for the crafted Hades weapons!

Good set up for the final MSQ patch, 5.55, and I am keen to see how that in turn will set up 6.0.
    (7)
    Last edited by Lauront; 04-15-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast