Player
    Character
    Riverside Orias
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90

Poetics

Need to know if what I THINK is true IS true! So at any one time you can hold a maximum of 2,000 (but that stays with you forever). I read there is a weekly limit of 450... BUT my currency tab shows I have 1200 some odd but 0/450 for the weekly, and that confuses me a bit. A very generous FC member made me a kick ass set of 56/139 gear so I am good until I hit 60. Then I think I can start getting the 60/240 Shire gear, right? BUT am I correct I then buy some pieces to use up what might be my 2k, then start earning it again at 450/week.

The fact that chances are I may hit 60 before I even open HW may or may not impact this?
    (0)
    Year plus playing, still a newb/sprout

Player
    Character
    Gabriel Morgan
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Poetics have no cap. Only the newest tomestone has a cap, currently Revelation, and they are only gotten at cap level (80 currently).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Iiiiiiiiiiit's Meeeee
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversideGuy View Post
    I read there is a weekly limit of 450...
    Poetics do not have a weekly cap.

In this game there are three kinds of tomestones:

The most recent kind (this is the only one with a weekly cap), which is currently Allagan Tomestones of Revelation.

The previous kind (currently Allagan Tomestone of Allegory)

And Poetics. Whatever you can buy with Revelation and Allegory you will be able to purchase with poetics when they rotate out for tomestones with newer names.
    New tomestones are added in with each raid tier, but poetics never cycle out.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    C'erise Vanesse
    World
    Maduin
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Need to know if what I THINK is true IS true! So at any one time you can hold a maximum of 2,000 (but that stays with you forever). I read there is a weekly limit of 450... BUT my currency tab shows I have 1200 some odd but 0/450 for the weekly, and that confuses me a bit. A very generous FC member made me a kick ass set of 56/139 gear so I am good until I hit 60. Then I think I can start getting the 60/240 Shire gear, right? BUT am I correct I then buy some pieces to use up what might be my 2k, then start earning it again at 450/week.

The fact that chances are I may hit 60 before I even open HW may or may not impact this?
    If I'm correct (And I think I am) the weekly cap is just for tomestones of revelations, not poetics. So that won't kick in until you're at or near endgame.
    (0)
    Off-Topic Discussion Megathread: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/434886-Off-Topic-Discussion-Megathread
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormpeaks View Post
    No thanks. Housing is fine as it is

Player
    Character
    Hashmael Lightswain
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Small point of clarification: At 60, you'll be buying i270 Augmented Shire gear. i240 looks to be raid gear. Looks like you could also technically buy it with poetics, but... naturally better to gear up with the best first, save the lower stuff for glamour options.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Frizze Steeleblaze
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    So ideally you dont want to be capped on poetics so that you can continue earning more. The main uses of Poetics are buying older cap-level gear(so 50/60/70), and working on relic weapons. If you arent far enough into HW to have access to the level 60 vendor, it might not be a bad idea to buy a few extra pieces of top tier level 50 gear for other classes you would like to play if you get close to having 2000. If not, it isnt the end of the world to lose a few tomes here and there to being capped. As the others noted, only the highest tier(endgame) tome comes with the weekly earning cap, with both lower tier ones being uncapped for what you can earn(all 3 do have carrying caps however).

Side note: If you are that far ahead of the MSQ for levels it might not hurt to grab a 2nd(3rd, etc) class to give some of the experience to. If you are on the free trial(or just have the starter version of the game) this might mean waiting until you can open up the HW jobs so the leveling isnt as much. If you are on complete version(or starter + shadowbringers) you could unlock samurai or red mage in ul dah, as both start at level 50 and could begin absorbing extra exp immediately.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Riverside Orias
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Good info, but it's the 2K carry cap that has me concerned. The gear is untradeable, so I assume unsellable. I have plenty of 50 gear, most of what I wear is 56/139 crafted gear (VERY generous FC folks!). I contemplated the skip to HW, but I'd rather see the story play out...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasrat View Post
    Small point of clarification: At 60, you'll be buying i270 Augmented Shire gear. i240 looks to be raid gear. Looks like you could also technically buy it with poetics, but... naturally better to gear up with the best first, save the lower stuff for glamour options.
    He did say Shire, but certainly getting numbers crossed somewhere...

Also worth mentioning that you get a few free sets of the i240 primal gear during post-Heavensward, though in any case it sounds like the real issue is elsewhere...

Good info, but it's the 2K carry cap that has me concerned. The gear is untradeable, so I assume unsellable. I have plenty of 50 gear, most of what I wear is 56/139 crafted gear (VERY generous FC folks!). I contemplated the skip to HW, but I'd rather see the story play out...
    If you're "contemplating the skip to Heavensward" (don't) then you're a long way off accessing any of the level 60 poetics gear anyway. You're also quite overlevelled and should look at picking up alternate classes to share some experience around.

You won't be able to spend poetics on level 60 gear until late in Heavensward, and you'll run into the same problem when you want level 70 gear before the end of Stormblood. But it's absolutely not worth skipping the game just to avoid wasting them.

If you need to spend poetics but don't need anything right now, you can look at buying level 50 gear for other classes, or you could start stocking up on items you'll need for the level 60 relic weapon (basically a poetics sink for glamour now) which are sold in Mor Dhona under the "special arms" tab of the gear vendor.

From memory, for the first few steps you need:
    10 of each "unidentified" item
    5 pots of aether oil
    80 umbrite

If you get all that and still need to spend more, equal amounts of enchanted ink and Thavnairian Mist up to 200 each.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscah View Post
    But it's absolutely not worth skipping the game just to avoid wasting them.
    This, though. Poetics fall off trees. You will have so many poetics throughout your adventuring career that you won't know what to do with. If you really care to, you can spend them on crafting materials and then sell those on the board, but unless you're quite diligent about doing it (and I personally don't think it's worth worrying about), you'll find yourself capping often with nothing worthwhile to spend them on.

If you have inventory space, you might pre-gear your next job to hit the available poetics gear levels. But otherwise don't worry too much if you find yourself sitting on 2,000 often.
    (0)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Riverside Orias
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    FWIW definitely not doing any skip, while I am impatient to get HW open, I actually do like the story progression AND I am now very close, just one trial left. Might get some ironworks gear just for glamor!
    (0)