Player
    Character
    Gunther Frey
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedxKayn View Post
    Hard disagree, optimizing around limited weave spaces is fun and AST's punishment for this is overall lower potencies. I also feel like it's a core aspect of AST's identity and flow.
    Healing shouldn't feel punishing if you're not trying to parse.
    Healing being inherently punishing to optimize around is why we have the issues of SE not knowing what to do with SCH's Aetherflow, and why we have issue's with the WHM's Lilly system. It's why people complain that AST is capable of so much free healing. I get it. I truly do, because you gave the exact same statement I said, "It gives us something to opimitze around." but it's also part of the issue everyone seems to be having with SCH and WHM to begin with.

Just think, for SCH for example, they can get rid of Ruin II and potentially give us back Miasma, that way we have our multiple dots to manage, while still keeping the same general amount of buttons to manage. People are always complaining that Ruin II will always feel bad to use, so giving sch the 1.5 treatment means we don't have to utilize Ruin II and we can replace it's optimization with something else like having actual dot maintenance.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Liam Harper
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Hard disagree, optimizing around limited weave spaces is fun and AST's punishment for this is overall lower potencies. I also feel like it's a core aspect of AST's identity and flow.
    Healing shouldn't feel punishing if you're not trying to parse.
    WHM is currently the only class in the game where clipping is a part of gameplay and SCH pays high taxes to weave. I personally don't find trying to mitigate and optimize clunky, broken class design fun. I'd rather have smooth, well designed gameplay instead. If they don't add the 1.5 sec cast, both WHM and SCH badly need more free weave and their gameplay improved.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Qoo Er
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam_Harper View Post
    WHM is currently the only class in the game where clipping is a part of gameplay and SCH pays high taxes to weave. I personally don't find trying to mitigate and optimize clunky, broken class design fun. I'd rather have smooth, well designed gameplay instead. If they don't add the 1.5 sec cast, both WHM and SCH badly need more free weave and their gameplay improved.
    they really need to bring back miasma 2 for better weaving and to heighten the skill ceiling of sch... giving sch something like ruin iv would also make weaving less punishing and give more room for optimization
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Capybara Friend
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 70
    False, SMN clips as well and so does BLM at least in the opener.

WHM's gameplay is very fine, only SCH is kinda poor because of pet jank and aetherflow, neither of them have anything to do with 1.5 casts.

AST has the lowest aDPS and giving the other healers more weaving space will crush it.
    (0)
    im baby

Player
    Character
    Nemene Damendar
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90

WHM's gameplay is very fine, only SCH is kinda poor because of pet jank and aetherflow, neither of them have anything to do with 1.5 casts.

AST has the lowest aDPS and giving the other healers more weaving space will crush it.
    Clipping your GCD frequently is jank as hell. "Don't make the other healers play smoothly, my overpowered main job that currently dominates both healing power and raid DPS couldn't handle good design in its competition" isn't a reason to block said good design.

Now, I'm all for finding a different way to smooth out clipping if the design time allows, but "WHM's gameplay is very fine"? Puh-lease. GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Capybara Friend
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Semirhage View Post
    Clipping your GCD frequently is jank as hell. "Don't make the other healers play smoothly, my overpowered main job that currently dominates both healing power and raid DPS couldn't handle good design in its competition" isn't a reason to block said good design.

Now, I'm all for finding a different way to smooth out clipping if the design time allows, but "WHM's gameplay is very fine"? Puh-lease. GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE GLARE.
    Yeah WHM is boring as hell but it's fine in what it's trying to do. Be immobile and do big DPS or big heals + having to optimize lily usage for mobility. Giving it constant weave spaces will 1) make WHM much more mobile and 2) yes lower the skill ceiling.
    WHM does not NEED weave spaces anywhere near as much as AST does. They don't have to deal with a ton of oGCD heals and most importantly, cards. Though an argument could be made for SCH for a 3rd nuke that deals more damage than Ruin but less than Broil with one weaving space.

If you want WHM to get one or two more weave spaces now and then, alright, but one every GCD is insane and would also only further homogenize healers.
    (2)
    Last edited by ZedxKayn; 03-05-2021 at 06:13 AM.
    im baby

Player
    Character
    Iiiiiiiiiiit's Meeeee
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    If you want WHM to get one or two more weave spaces now and then, alright,
    That's all we're asking for~
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Liam Harper
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I don't play SMN and can't speak for it but BLM is a very well designed class and years ahead of WHM. Between triplecast, swiftcast, procs and Xeno you get plenty of weave and you have BTL and AM for on-demand movement. One in the opener is hardly WHM levels of clip. WHM gets none of that, just a 30 sec window every Dia refresh then it has to literally dip into its healing lilies just to move or weave.

Outside of well practiced re-clears, healers have to react to unexpected situations more often, such as dropping a temp, excog or bene on a dps who got hit by an avoidable mech, needing plenary or temp to boost an emergency aoe heal, swift raise in general and so on. For WHM this very often results in a hard clip and for SCH either a clip or a tax that's almost as bad. There is nothing in WHM/SCH gameplay to smooth out this potential reactive aspect of gameplay and integrate oGCD's with casts, while AST flows nicely, weaving the needed oGCD's in with their GCD's. There's no reason for this clunkiness, it's not enhancing the experience.

We're just too used to how the devs have created healers that we're almost convinced it's meant to be that way. We're "meant" to pay dps tax. We're "meant" to be less mobile. The idea of mobile but more complex and engaging instead just doesn't even register to us, despite the fact it'd probably be more fun to play. Because it's meant to be clunky.
    I mean really, you could give WHM/SCH the 1.5 sec cast and make AST's dps GCD instant. That keeps the identity intact. Then you have room for a much more engaging and challenging toolkit.
    (7)
    Last edited by Liam_Harper; 03-05-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Player
    Character
    Capybara Friend
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 70
    I don't play SMN and can't speak for it but BLM is a very well designed class and years ahead of WHM. Between triplecast, swiftcast, procs and Xeno you get plenty of weave and you have BTL and AM for on-demand movement. One in the opener is hardly WHM levels of clip. WHM gets none of that, just a 30 sec window every Dia refresh then it has to literally dip into its healing lilies just to move or weave.

Outside of well practiced re-clears, healers have to react to unexpected situations more often, such as dropping a temp, excog or bene on a dps who got hit by an avoidable mech, needing plenary or temp to boost an emergency aoe heal, swift raise in general and so on. For WHM this very often results in a hard clip and for SCH either a clip or a tax that's almost as bad. There is nothing in WHM/SCH gameplay to smooth out this potential reactive aspect of gameplay and integrate oGCD's with casts, while AST flows nicely, weaving the needed oGCD's in with their GCD's. There's no reason for this clunkiness, it's not enhancing the experience.
    A party member taking free damage seldom needs to be healed raight away in a way that causes clipping. 99% of the time you have time for at least a GCD or two and create a weave window with lilies or ruin for example. If it is urgent enough to warrant clipping, it'd warrant cast interruption too, AST included.
    (0)
    im baby

Player
    Character
    Qoo Er
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    even when not reacting to anything white mage clips just trying to do its rotation because assize doesn't line up with dia. also if you use dia's weave for assize as you should, you can only use 1 out of the 8 other ogcds whm has (3 of which should be used on cooldown). white mage desperately needs at least 1 or 2 more dps-neutral weave spots per minute.

even something as basic as making dia last 15 seconds (with adjusted potency) would be a significant improvement over white mages current state
    (7)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast