Player
    Character
    Sevro Barca
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 78
    Quote Originally Posted by MikkoAkure View Post
    Turn-based gameplay is now considered “retro” and “niche” and I don’t think there’s been a AAA title in the past 15 years that used it.
    What makes people think like this? What alternate universe are they living in? Or is a "I don't like it so it must be niche." situation?
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Kaynneth Menad
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by MeeDeggiThePunisher View Post
    What makes people think like this? What alternate universe are they living in? Or is a "I don't like it so it must be niche." situation?
    Considering that the PS1 was chock full of turn based RPGs, while PS4 turn based RPGs go nowhere in the vicinity of that figure, that seems like an accurate statement.

I'm a fan of turn based RPGs and I can still recognize that nowadays there are few and far between numbers of them, and that they are niche (maybe not retro though).
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Midi Ajihri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by MeeDeggiThePunisher View Post
    Like I said before... Not in any of my posts did I say I didn't like turn-based games. It's just not as popular anymore. There is nothing at all wrong with something being "niche", but the stigma around the term is why I used the term before with quotation marks. "Niche" games can and usually do have far more creativity than AAA games at the expense of focusing on a tighter demographic, which means lower development budget. If you don't like me calling turn-based games "niche" does "smaller target demographic" work for you? Final Fantasy is Square Enix's flagship series that they intend on using to compete against other AAA titles. Some suits in the business division must have decided that turn-based doesn't sell on a wide scale or that evolution in combat design is needed to stay competitive and expand beyond just RPG fans, and the games we've had in the past few decades have reflected that.

I play and enjoy turn-based games to this day and like most of them way more than some of the FF games we've been getting lately. The moral of the story I've been trying to get across is that there's a reason SE made the decision to do what they're doing. It's not that they don't care about their roots, they still make games that play like the old ones. But Final Fantasy is moving in a different direction to survive in the current gaming climate for better or for worse. Either way, you shouldn't limit yourself to just Final Fantasy when it comes to RPGs and that will just turn you into someone who narrow-mindedly focuses on "the good old days" of the series and complains whenever anything changes with it.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Murakumo Bloodedge
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by MikkoAkure View Post
    Turn-based gameplay is now considered “retro” and “niche” and I don’t think there’s been a AAA title in the past 15 years that used it. Smaller games with smaller budgets can get away with it, and that’s where you get Octopath Traveler and Persona 5. But it’s harder to justify as the development costs go up and you need to appeal to a larger demographic.
    Dragon Quest XI did extremely well as a turn-based game though and people in Japan lined up for it at launch the same way people lined up for iPhones ten years ago. Dragon Quest is no niche product and it's the Enix flagship the same way Final Fantasy is the Square flagship. And although probably not a AAA title in terms of development, Pokémon also does really well despite being a turn-based RPG.

Although I would have definitely preferred a Turn-based RPG over an Action RPG, I don't mind the current direction Final Fantasy XVI is taking. However, as part of the "core-audience" otherwise known as a Western JRPG fan, I'd be lying if I say I wasn't getting burnt out by the excessive amount of action based combat that I've been playing. Final Fantasy XV, NieR:Automata, Monster Hunter: World, Dark Souls III, etc. were some of the biggest titles to come out in recent years and there's more on the way with Granblue Fantasy: Relink, Tales of Arise, Elden Ring, and the list goes on. The market for Action RPGs, or even traditional Action games, is oversaturated and I think Square Enix really could have capitalized on bringing back turn-based combat.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Luluna Eve
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 69
    I am an older gamer and by no means anything like the Meme in this thread haha. I am around the same age as Yoshi so if that meme applies maybe he should be grabbing his slippers and cocoa lol. I adore turn based I loved all the older games, but i also play a lot of current ones.

I also have played Dragon Quest which kept me entertained for so long and I was hoping FF would go back to some kind of Turn based.

Times change and I guess this is the new norm button bash dancing round like a tit in a trance. The big thing for me was it did look a lot like XIV. Even the hair on one of the female characters and the outfit looks like a dress we have. I am hoping it is good I am willing to give it a try if the story is there.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Johnathan Riftborne
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Im a little concerned that the combat system looked too much like XV (floaty/weightless/hack'n'slash-y). I'm hoping it feels and plays more like VII Remake (One of the best live combat gameplay I've had the pleasure of experiencing). But without getting hands on, I cant say for certain. Cautiously optimistic that they will put the weight and fluidity of the 7 Remake into 16.
    (2)
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Lord Of The Rings

"Guess I should've brought sea-salt ice-cream huh?" -Axel, Kingdom Hearts III

"Goodbye then, be safe friend, and don't you dare go hollow..." -Greirat, Dark Souls 3

Player
    Character
    Luluna Eve
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 69
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousBard View Post
    Im a little concerned that the combat system looked too much like XV (floaty/weightless/hack'n'slash-y). I'm hoping it feels and plays more like VII Remake (One of the best live combat gameplay I've had the pleasure of experiencing). But without getting hands on, I cant say for certain. Cautiously optimistic that they will put the weight and fluidity of the 7 Remake into 16.
    I never played XV but I did enjoy FF7 remake battle system. Only issue I had was the battles where over before I could get my summons on the go. I would not mind it being like FF7R but longer battles and less limitations on summoning ^O^
    (0)

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23