Player
    Character
    Wittle Bean
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80

Help configuring crossbar expanded hold controls

I'm trying to configure my controller settings to display and navigate my crossbars in a particular way. This may be hard to explain so I'll include images as a guide. Here is my current setup:

As you can see, my crossbar set #1 is configured in the normal fashion as you'd expect. Above that is my crossbar set #8. To toggle the left side I press L2+LR, and to toggle the right side I press R2+L2. Very simple and straightforward.

I also have my controls configured so I can double tap L2 and R2 to function the same as pressing L2+R2 and R2+L2 respectively.

Now, what I want to accomplish is this: when I double tap L2 I would like it to toggle the left side of set #5 instead of the left side of set #8. Likewise, when I double tap R2 I want it to toggle the right side of set #5 instead of the right side of set #8.

I'm actually able to do this, and it's all well and good except for one crucial thing. Take a look at the image of my current setup posted above. When I configure my controls to operate in the way I described in the previous paragraph, set #5 gets displayed in place of set #8, on top of set #1 as seen in the image. It looks like this:

This is undesirable for me. I want set #8 (L2+R2 / R2+L2) to keep its place visually above set #1, and for set #5 (L2 L2 / R2 R2) to be hidden from view until you double tap the triggers. I can only seem to accomplish the opposite.

Here are my settings for my current set up (first image):

And here are my settings for the second image:

I hope this can be accomplished and thank you very much for the help
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Wittle Bean
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Put more concisely, when you use both types of expanded controls (L2/R2+R2/L2 and double tap), the double tap set takes precedence on the display. I want it the other way around.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Machina Gadget
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Your post is a little difficult to follow, but you did a good job trying to explain. Based on what I think I'm reading, I will try and help you out. For starters, the WXHB is a lot easier to use if you just set it up to double tap L2 or R2 respectively. Whatever hotbar you assign to those functions, slot the skills that you wish to remain on screen most of the time.

The expanded controls by holding L2/R2 aren't meant to take the place of skills mapped to the WXHB. I will get to that in the next paragraph. The hotbar assigned to this function should remain hidden when not in use, which it sounds like it is. However, using this function should be replacing your primary hotbar on your HUD rather than skills on your WXHB because you can't use both at once.

Again, without being 100% sure clear on your post, I can't be sure but there are a couple of things you can look at. The game is set by default to cycle hotbar 1 and 8 by pressing R1 unless you have skills assigned to other hotbars, in which case it will cycle through all of them. The game has settings to change this, but if for some reason you are hitting R1 and you have expanded controls assigned to hotbars that are set to cycle, it will automatically change what you see on screen when that hotbar cycles to primary. Make sure you don't have the same hotbar assigned to multiple expanded control options. I have never tried this but I assume the UI will automatically pick one or the other on it's own.

I can't be sure this will help but I hope it does.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Elrica Lavandula
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I wanted this feature for a long time and suggested it a few times, but to no avail unfortunately, but I'm also really bad at explaining things.

A solution would be if the game allowed us to have the expanded bars (EXHB, the ones you use with L2+R2/R2+L2) always visible instead of the WXHB.

OR make it so the WXHB can be used with L2+R2/R2+L2 instead of double tapping, and the EXHB with double tapping instead.

I would really like this feature because for me pressing L2+R2/R2+L2 is much, much easier than double tapping. Double tapping feels really inconsistent with the PS4 controller (and switching the functions of R2 and R1 is no option fog me either, as holding R1 very long hurts my hands).

I want to use the EXHB control option and have it always visible, like you can do with the WXHB. And the double tap option to be invisible and only be visible when pressing the button, like the EXHB is now. So just switched around from what we have now. This issue is really hard to explain to others somehow. Currently I have both the EXHB and WXHB the same hotbar, so I can see my bar but use it with L2+R2/R2+L2.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Amber Sparrow
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    I've just run into this exact same issue myself. It seems like a minor (but very annoying) oversight that you can't just pick which specific hotbar appears in your WXHB, regardless of input method. The standard hotbar displays seem like an unreadable mess after several hundred hours comfortably using only the cross hotbars too. I'll have to do a lot of customisation to sort this out, which is fine, but I really shouldn't need to. Even just a third XHB would solve this instantly.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    I think the closest thing you will be able to do have Set 8 to be a placeholder for what is displayed on your WXHB.

Assign the skills you want to set 6 and 7, but each one needs to have a macro.

Set 6 needs a macro that says
    Code:
    /crosshotbar copy JOB 7 JOB 8
    Set 7 needs a macro that says
    Code:
    /crosshotbar copy JOB 6 JOB 8
    You won't get the desired behavior you described, but you'd get something close.
    (0)