Player
    Character
    Penitenz Vonuberwald
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 64

New player confused

Hello there folk. I recently started playing this with friend and we're kinda liking the game.
    We rolled a new char on Twintania which was preferred so this helped us dart our crafting profession to 50+ really fast - our main jobs are around 50 as well, but we're still at freeing Minfilia from Castrum Centri in the story, so a bit behind our level.

We were trying to gear up our crafter and looked at the recipes in the 51+ band but there's a craftmanship requirement bump which is really ... weird.
    We're all around 250 craftmanship and now I see requirement of 400+?

Have looked in the weaver recipes and the green Legion stuff seems barely approachable for crafting, but - unless my numbers are wrong - the overall craftmaship that gear will give, even on HQ won't be making up to 400...?

Have I missed something? Or all will clear once we open Heavensward and buy the basic gear there?

Thanks for the hints.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Everything has a big bump in stats between expansions. Battle classes are the same.

Once you reach the end of the main game and (at the time) the associated level cap, there was originally a period where stronger gear of the same level was released with a new patch every few months. So when new players reach that point, there's a big jump where people originally went through several smaller steps.

Getting the Lv51 gear is definitely the easiest route. Check if it's on the marketboard for a decent price, or (as you said) just wait until you reach Ishgard and can buy it from the NPC supplier.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Caimie Tsukino
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Try to get this set:

Most craftsmanship will come from mainhand and offhand tools. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get new mainhand for level 52 and offhand at 53?

Together with those, you should have plenty of craftsmanship for most of the level 51+ recipes.
    Remember that HQ tools gives a lot more stats than NQ tools though.

The best way is really to craft yourself the tools, so they're completely free of charge. Otherwise, shout in big cities for help. I'm positive someone will be happy to craft you those tools for half the price on the marketboard. Trust me.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimie_Tsukino View Post
    Most craftsmanship will come from mainhand and offhand tools. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get new mainhand for level 52 and offhand at 53?
    Haven't checked those numbers, but as an interim measure if you have GC seals you want to spend, the GC sells Artisan tools which are decent Lv50 tools if you haven't got them already.
    (0)
    Last edited by Iscah; 05-22-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Player
    Character
    Penitenz Vonuberwald
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 64
    Thanks for the answers, a friend yesterday pointed me that lvl 51 have a "suggested" craftmanship level required, not a "required". So they can be crafted... doh what I was thinking...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Skittle Thief
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 78
    The Heavensward Leve's all have HQ main and off hand in their reward rolls. So you will find them on the MB for next to no Gil. It's pretty common to get them on triple turn in as well, so people end up with 3 just off a single Leve.
    The electrum accessories and HQ patrician combined with purchased, leveled main and off hand will let you HQ the higher sets yourself.

I'd still suggest pushing forward with the MSQ until you unlock HW or even Storm blood. level 21 to 60 in Firmament took me 2 hrs. Granted it only took 4 I think doing it with ARR content but I made level 40 Firmament stuff with vendor gear to get to 60. You can do it on a base server as well. You will just need to make more of the level 40 items.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Maeka Blazewing
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    A tip for future reference:

A full suit (tools+left side) is generally enough to craft yourself the HQ versions of the same.

So what you can do is walk up to any vendor in Ishgard, Kugane, etc and buy a full suit of current-level gear. They will be NQ but that's fine. Go get yourself the materials to craft the HQ set and if you do that, you will always be able to HQ the next tier. For example if you buy the Lv71 set and tools, you should be able to HQ the Lv71 clothes and tools which will put you in a nice position to do the same when the Lv73-74 set is reached. I HQ'd the 2nd set while wearing the HQ first set easy-peasy after the 5.1 changes. Wasn't even a challenge, and I didn't even have Manipulation unlocked at the time.

If you're STILL having trouble, try HQing the gathering materials to get HQ processed materials (or check the MB for them, a lot of the levelling materials are usually somewhat cheap-ish). It is literally impossible to fail to HQ Tools/Clothes if you are starting with HQ materials as you start with the bar 60%+ filled in.
    (0)
    Last edited by Maeka; 05-27-2020 at 11:24 PM.