Player
    Character
    Yule Xiv
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90

Someone told me today to stop using DPS spells like Stone

... Because they were fire-chained to me in that one dungeon where you have to run away from your linked party member to avoid death.

... He didn't help me break the fire-chain so we both died... and then when we respawned, he said, "Are you using DPS spells?" To which I said "Yes" and He replied "Well then don't. Don't use anything but heal."

I have always kept my party members up at 90% health or higher, used my DPS spells on adds and boss, and never struggled with my mana. I rarely have to revive anyone unless, like in that scenario, they ignored a boss mechanic.

I think I am a pretty good healer, as it is such a simple class and you can do no wrong if you've played MMOs for a long time. But hearing him blame me made me feel so defeated
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Source Eldion
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuletide View Post
    ... Because they were fire-chained to me in that one dungeon where you have to run away from your linked party member to avoid death.

... He didn't help me break the fire-chain so we both died... and then when we respawned, he said, "Are you using DPS spells?" To which I said "Yes" and He replied "Well then don't. Don't use anything but heal."

I have always kept my party members up at 90% health or higher, used my DPS spells on adds and boss, and never struggled with my mana. I rarely have to revive anyone unless, like in that scenario, they ignored a boss mechanic.

I think I am a pretty good healer, as it is such a simple class and you can do no wrong if you've played MMOs for a long time. But hearing him blame me made me feel so defeated
    Welcome to 14, where people who dont play healers think they should just heal, and regularly fail mechanics and blame it on the healers.

Ignore them, it's completely normal.
    (39)

Player
    Character
    Claire Pendragon
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I think, he thinks, that you werent paying attention to the chain, and were too busy trying to DPS instead of breaking it. If thats wrong, my next assumption is that he doesnt realize the chains need broken, and assumes the deaths were caused by lack of healing.
    Otherwise id imagine hes fine with DPS. I wouldnt know w/o asking though.
    (4)
    Last edited by Claire_Pendragon; 05-07-2020 at 05:04 AM.
    CLAIRE PENDRAGON

Player
    Character
    Waxillium Larede
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    That DPS didn't know anything about being a healer.

Healers in FFXIV are just dps with boring rotations that sometimes throw heals, in fact healer damage is so high that can deal more dps than tanks.

I have always kept my party members up at 90% health or higher
    Side note: Don't be afraid to let your party members go lower than that, you'll rarely find high unavoidable damage in casual content and at 90% hp most of the heals are overheal.
    (13)
    Quote Originally Posted by IttyBitty View Post
    Emnity management is a group responsibility, HP management is a group responsibility, Mitigation is a group responsibility ,DPS is a group responsibility
    Anybody saying "I only want to <x>" just tells me they are lazy and selfish.

Player
    Character
    Jill Winters
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuletide View Post

Please ignore the horrible "advice" that player gave you. As long as you are keeping your party alive and doing mechanics properly, there's no reason not to dps. Continue to play as you are because it sounds like you're doing a good job. Don't let somebody who has no idea what they are doing keep you from playing a role you enjoy.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Aubrenard Sondraix
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    like the others here have said, ignore that guy. if you're observing the mechanics of a fight and people are not dead or dying, you're doing your job correctly.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Qina Jumaloth
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Welcome to the Dunning-Kruger effect. It tends to be especially pronounced in environments where calling people out on their idiocy is prohibited.

If you run into similar situations in the future I would recommend healing yourself and leaving them to die. The chain breaks when either player dies, and it's best for that not to be the healer.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Avarnia Corthal
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    The three most important rules of a healer
    1. In terms of keeping people alive, you are the most important followed by your mt and co healer
    2. You do dps when you don't have any healing to do, which should be between 70 and 80% of the time if your tank remembers cooldowns are a thing
    3. You leave arseholes who tell you to do your role by only casting heals on the floor as they are the ones who fail mechanics because they focus on their uptime. They are also the ones that led SE to making the healing role so bloody dull this expansion

In this case, those chains are broken by both the dps AND the healer running most of the arena apart. Its his/her own fault due to the distance required if you were moving.
    (5)
    Last edited by Recon1o6; 05-07-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Player
    Character
    Evelynn Outreguerlain
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    I'd suggest linking anyone this gif if they tell you healers shouldn't do DPS.

(5)

Make SCH great again! Seriously though, we just want our class to be fun and engaging again, not OP, is that too much to ask for?

Player
    Character
    Rozemyne Shyahoro
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Back when I was a sprout and leveling SCH in Heavensward before dungeon content got HP-nerfed, I did stone vigil. Tank kept dying, I got blamed. The actual reason? Tanks gear was broken.

Moral of the story: People like to blame healers for their own shortcomings or the faults of someone else. Just ignore people like them and can just blacklist them after (even if you're not likely to see them again any day soon or at all).
    (6)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast