Character
    Omi Senu
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90

Hidden gems of stories in sidequests

Which have you enjoyed most?

I've been cleaning side quests with the jobs I'm still leveling and some have really stood out to me, introducing new characters or giving us more insight to those we've already met and giving more atmosphere and nuance to the game world.

My favorite so far that I missed on my initial leveling play through is the Scholasticate series of quest in Ishgard from the Heavensward expansion. I'm also enjoying re-meeting some of the ARR characters and seeing them fleshed out more with the Postmoogle quests.

How about you?
    (3)
    Last edited by tinythinker; 04-29-2020 at 05:01 AM. Reason: typos
    Thanks for helping make the FFXIV community a fun and welcoming place. If you're not sure you have (and you very likely have), make it a point to be patient or helpful the next time you log in so that you can know you've made a difference.

If you're on the Aether data center, congratulations! I might be your next exciting adventure healer in the Duty Finder. Please look forward to it.

Player
    Character
    Aurora Aura
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    For me it might be the Great Serpent of Ronka sidequest and the ones that unlocks the Anata BT quests, as of recent. Its been awhile since I did ARR/Heavensward so the standout ones are a bit of a haze
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Trpimir Ratyasch
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    There are only two sidequests off the beaten path I still have committed to memory.

One was a postmoogle quest where you help the Ul'dahn information broker do something, and so check up on a young girl he'd saved from slavery in her youth. She'd grown up and started a family.

The other was a quest in Ishgard where you go looking for an orphan in the Brume after the attack on Ishgard's gates by the "heretics." You met her earlier and reprimanded her for stealing, only for her to freeze to death while you were off gallivanting about Dravania. She has a letter on her stating she wants to grow up to be a knight protecting her countrymen.

These quests award a flower (a carnation I believe) and a blue gemstone. Still have them in my inventory, just to remember.
    (9)
    Trpimir Ratyasch's Way Status (6.55 - End)
    [ ]LOST [ ]NOT LOST [X] PvPING FOR SWAG
    "There is no hope in stubbornly clinging to the past. It is our duty to face the future and march onward, not retreat inward." -Sovetsky Soyuz, Azur Lane: Snowrealm Peregrination

Player
    Character
    Ulala Ula
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 60
    Darkknight story, the love between sid and our girl - hes so dense its cute :3

The Ixal and their closure when completing Fractal hard.

Edda, the whole story about them when you see em for the first time, till the bitter end when you finally free her...

The Amalja beast tribe story... gotta love that kitty.

Goldsmith lv 60-70, the story with extra Nanamo.

And that one at Gyr abania, with the Garlean soldier who surrendered to save ppl and wanted to help them from the shadows before leaving his home again...

...actually there are many more.
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Omi Senu
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilia View Post
    There are only two sidequests off the beaten path I still have committed to memory.

One was a postmoogle quest where you help the Ul'dahn information broker do something, and so check up on a young girl he'd saved from slavery in her youth. She'd grown up and started a family.

The other was a quest in Ishgard where you go looking for an orphan in the Brume after the attack on Ishgard's gates by the "heretics." You met her earlier and reprimanded her for stealing, only for her to freeze to death while you were off gallivanting about Dravania. She has a letter on her stating she wants to grow up to be a knight protecting her countrymen.

These quests award a flower (a carnation I believe) and a blue gemstone. Still have them in my inventory, just to remember.
    Just did the first one you mentioned today. The other one a month or two ago? I think the flowers for her are still there if you go back.
    (2)
    Thanks for helping make the FFXIV community a fun and welcoming place. If you're not sure you have (and you very likely have), make it a point to be patient or helpful the next time you log in so that you can know you've made a difference.

If you're on the Aether data center, congratulations! I might be your next exciting adventure healer in the Duty Finder. Please look forward to it.

Player
    Character
    Kokoro Liliro
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    At Whitbrim Front, there is a short questchain involving a couple caught up in Ishgard's irrationality. A young guard, Laurence, was foraging for materials to make a medicine for his dying fiance when he was caught and accused of desertion. You go out into the snow and find the medicine he dropped, and bring it back to the hospital. The fiance is slowly recovering, but Laurence is going to be executed for desertion, so you quietly give him the key to his cell so he can escape by night. I was really hoping that there would he been a continuation or a conclusion to this story in Heavensward, maybe seeing the two finally reunite.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Jakaar Rakkin
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MoofiaBossVal View Post
    At Whitbrim Front, there is a short questchain involving a couple caught up in Ishgard's irrationality. A young guard, Laurence, was foraging for materials to make a medicine for his dying fiance when he was caught and accused of desertion. You go out into the snow and find the medicine he dropped, and bring it back to the hospital. The fiance is slowly recovering, but Laurence is going to be executed for desertion, so you quietly give him the key to his cell so he can escape by night. I was really hoping that there would he been a continuation or a conclusion to this story in Heavensward, maybe seeing the two finally reunite.
    Ah I remember this quest. His brother was the one to request our aid, since he found the whole situation grossly unfair to them. Yeah, I would have loved to see a continuation.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Aurora Aura
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    I recently did a questline about helping a Mystel miner find a rare ore so that he can create a lost alloy. Seemed rather interesting.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Ulala Ula
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar1337 View Post
    I recently did a questline about helping a Mystel miner find a rare ore so that he can create a lost alloy. Seemed rather interesting.
    Its in Ahm areng and its the story that connects the two tows, yes that one was pretty sweet too.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Vicious Zvahl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    At the Moraby Drydocks there's a very early sidequest where a Roegadyn shipbuilder needs lightning sprite cores so he can keep his rivots hot or something. The dialogue he used to describe how cold they were getting while he was taking too long was, "...colder than a dead whore's loins!" This was one of the first sidequests I ever did, and it got me to pay more attention to text.

Moogle quests in Churning Mists give me conniptions to this day.

The first relic quest up to the kettles you can get for outside furnishing and a monk glam weapon.

Hildibrand! HILDIBRAND!

All of the sidequests in Azys Lla making fun of ToS and Apple and Microsoft. Fractal Continuum in both of its iterations. The first time revealed the genetic manipulation/creation of the Ixali. The second time had FF6 references as well as being absolutely strewn with Sky Pirate corpses, Sky Pirates in i255 gear. So literally an entire crew of competent Elezens, Roegadyns, and I think a few Hyur. Just all dead, in every section up til the second boss.

On that note the entire Warring Triad segment with our fight against Regula van Hydrus, Zurvan(Demon), Sephirot(Fiend), and Sophia(Goddess).

The entirety of the Binding Coil of Bahamut. Yes, Second and Final Coil as well. I was one of the several hundred or couple thousand? I don't have the numbers, but I beat T12 before they released the cutscene associated with it and the truth of Louisoix vs. Bahamut at Carteneaux before they released it as a youtube video. I used to watch that cutscene in my inn room over and over every time I played after I got that far in the raid, and it's what kept me motivated to raid really hard against Savage during the smackdown Gordias 3&4 delivered to every static at the start of Heavensward(I did beat A3s while it was current).

There's a whole lot more too.
    (4)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast