Player
    Character
    Grim Gaelasch
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulzscha View Post
    Not sure how Chemist would work, they literally just use items and everyone in FFXIV can already use items.
    I don't get this argument. I also don't get the whole, we can't have Chemist because Alchemist is already a thing.

To me it's like saying we can't have Doctors because we already have Pharmaceutic companies. Why do we need Doctors? Everybody can just use drugs.

It's one thing to make the healing stuff, it's another to know how to use it and when to use it. Especially in battle.

If the name is too similar, there are other names that can be used that still describe a technique based, non-magic healer, such as Surgeon, Medic, Pysician, Doctor. Even Pharmacist, Salve-Maker, Apothecary if you want to give it dip into the medicine crafting territory.

Regarding Necromancer, I just don't see a way where the classic gothic Dark Spellcaster that raises corpses and curses enemies with decay is going to get into the healing role.

Maybe a more spiritual version of comuning with the dead, like a Shaman or a Sender (Like Yuna) would be more appropriate.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Tulzscha Abbith
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimGale View Post
    I don't get this argument. I also don't get the whole, we can't have Chemist because Alchemist is already a thing.

To me it's like saying we can't have Doctors because we already have Pharmaceutic companies. Why do we need Doctors? Everybody can just use drugs.

It's one thing to make the healing stuff, it's another to know how to use it and when to use it. Especially in battle.

If the name is too similar, there are other names that can be used that still describe a technique based, non-magic healer, such as Surgeon, Medic, Pysician, Doctor. Even Pharmacist, Salve-Maker, Apothecary if you want to give it dip into the medicine crafting territory.
    Doctors don't make drugs, entirely different profession.

Well ok the only Chemist I knew was from Tactics where it's a job you train to use items and that's it, your characters couldn't use items without it, and everyone in FFXIV can already use items buuut I just looked it up and apparently they can combine and increase the effectiveness of items which is certainly more interesting, but as a combat profession? Do you have to stock up on items before every fight or do they just appear out of thin air? Either way is just weird and Alchemist already makes items so ehh doesn't work so well imo. Are there any other job names like that in Final Fantasy?

And how would a non-magic healer work flavor-wise, you chuck syringes at people's faces? Smash a potion on them so the glass cuts em open for the potion to get in and do its work? Is it a melee thing and you have to run over to each person to stitch them up? Not trying to be an asshole I just don't see it. :hmm:
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mimiji Miji
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Well ok the only Chemist I knew was from Tactics where it's a job you train to use items and that's it, your characters couldn't use items without it, and everyone in FFXIV can already use items buuut I just looked it up and apparently they can combine and increase the effectiveness of items which is certainly more interesting, but as a combat profession? Do you have to stock up on items before every fight or do they just appear out of thin air? Either way is just weird and Alchemist already makes items so ehh doesn't work so well imo. Are there any other job names like that in Final Fantasy?
    Most people who suggest Chemist usually reference X-2's Alchemist, who could use "Stashed" version of items, which were just cost free skills that would do what the item their named after did but with a longer charge time (X-2's version of a cast times, but every action had, not just spells). Alchemist did also have the Mix ability, along with traits that increased the potency and decreased charge time of items but all of those only worked on regular items, not Stashed ones. It also helps that Alchemist used guns and had an Al Bhed aesthetic (high-tech fantasy with a little military thrown in).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tulzscha Abbith
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimilu View Post
    Most people who suggest Chemist usually reference X-2's Alchemist, who could use "Stashed" version of items, which were just cost free skills that would do what the item their named after did but with a longer charge time (X-2's version of a cast times, but every action had, not just spells). Alchemist did also have the Mix ability, along with traits that increased the potency and decreased charge time of items but all of those only worked on regular items, not Stashed ones. It also helps that Alchemist used guns and had an Al Bhed aesthetic (high-tech fantasy with a little military thrown in).
    Ok, I see, thank you. So more like magitek than real life healing? That'd fit right in for sure.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Basic Blake
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90

Regarding Necromancer, I just don't see a way where the classic gothic Dark Spellcaster that raises corpses and curses enemies with decay is going to get into the healing role.

Maybe a more spiritual version of comuning with the dead, like a Shaman or a Sender (Like Yuna) would be more appropriate.
    I will have to agree with you in this one, especially when comparing chemist to alchemist. Why do people NEED another healer, you guys have white mage?

I feel like chemist is one of the few cases of a healer speculation that doesnt step on the toes of another healer these days. You get some form of mix function to use on allies/enemies. If anything it's a newish take on a healer role I could see actually being implemented over a Zombie Healer. Geomancer healer would just be old whm animations, so it's probably the feng shui caster Yoshi was discussing before Stormblood, and adding Time Mage is just, "here is a few re-purposed Ast scraps."
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Grim Gaelasch
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Doctors don't make drugs, entirely different profession.
    Yes, that was my point. And then you say it's wierd to have Alchemist in with Chemist.

Alchemist makes drugs. Chemist uses them.

As for the mechanics of how would they work, lemme tell you:

Magic.

Do Bards need to replentish their quivers?

Same logic. Ranged classes don't use ammunition, why would the chemist have to replentish his stash.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tulzscha Abbith
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Yes, that was my point. And then you say it's wierd to have Alchemist in with Chemist.

Alchemist makes drugs. Chemist uses them.

As for the mechanics of how would they work, lemme tell you:

Magic.

Do Bards need to replentish their quivers?

Same logic. Ranged classes don't use ammunition, why would the chemist have to replentish his stash.
    I did not, you're putting words in my mouth. I said it'd be weird to have a Chemist job because everyone can already use items on their own, and you were defending it as a non-magic healer so using "magic" to explain how it'd work is uh, funny.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Selina Maimhov
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70

Well "raising the dead" can take many forms. For example in ESO one of the abilities is to raise a "spirit healer" which basically acts like a mobile and short lived AOE heal. To make it different then say a fairy and work in FF14 you could maybe cast it on the tank, and have it fly over and do it's thing. It would in effect be like a zone Medica II just with a summon animation and targeted. This is just one form it could take.

You could have curses and hexes that build up resources for healing, or simply have them pulse out a portion of the damage they do as healing. You could have spirits that "haunt" a target that reward damage done to the target by healing each PC with either a portion of their individual damage back to heal them or as a combined pulse heal for everyone. That especially would not only free up the healer to do damage, but rewards everyone for playing well. But there are a LOT of things you can do based around spirits, healing, and even with dark and gloomy if you want to go that route.

Again the concept of a "necromancer" has been a cultural and even religious thing for years. Heck, there is the story of Lazarus for goodness sake! Many use it for communing with the dead, or even helping troubled spirits to rest easier. Yes in game terms many expect a certain aesthetic..but so? Look at glamour that people make around jobs, like say the DRK, and tell me that people can't make the dark and broody into something a bit lighter?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Grim Gaelasch
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    I did not, you're putting words in my mouth. I said it'd be weird to have a Chemist job because everyone can already use items on their own, and you were defending it as a non-magic healer so using "magic" to explain how it'd work is uh, funny.
    Well magic used loosely ofc. There is not really a non magic job in this game, considering most in-universe explanations of how things work involve aether in some way or another. Even warriors use Aether to supercharge their bodies and create those flashy "special effects" on their weapons.

Point being, realworld logic of replentishing stash for usable items doesn't need to apply to a medic job considering they could just produce the stuff in the same way MCH or BRDs produce ammo for their weapons.

And despite being a non-magic job, they would still use MP as they would still be healers. Their "spells" or weaponskills would not be based on magical spellcasting aesthetically, but rather whatever items or ammo they produce.

Also I don't understand what your logic is when you say "chemist doesn't make sense as a class because everybody can use items by themselves."
    In the same way there are several jobs that use weapons or magic in different ways, why wouldn't there be a job that uses items in a different way?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Grim Gaelasch
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkria View Post
    Yes in game terms many expect a certain aesthetic..but so? Look at glamour that people make around jobs, like say the DRK, and tell me that people can't make the dark and broody into something a bit lighter?
    You can't change spell effects or animations. Those (Alongside gameplay) make the feel and fantasy of a job.

No matter how much I dress in dark military jackets and leather boots, I still have to twirl around like a princess everytime I use assize as a WHM or Celestial Opposition as an AST.
    (0)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast