Player
    Character
    Twelve Sevven
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 37

Where are all the skills going?

I've returned after like 5 months, and two more skills are just gone from the Paladin's lot. Flash, and another AEO damage skill that combo'd with Total Eclipse.
    I've only got Heavensward because I don't play that much, so I presume there're more skills now in the expansions? Just feels like any complexity of any classes are just melting away, and soon it'll just be two buttons. It's really offputting.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    King Canadane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Flash was made redundant (though I miss blinding mobs) as all skills will have an enmity modifier with Shield Oath (which no longer reduces damage).
    Total Eclipse still has a combo move, Prominence. Learned at level 40.

Yes complexity is being reduced, they've outright admitted as such trying to streamline the game. They aren't keeping this a secret, it's been in multiple interviews.
    (3)
    Last edited by Canadane; 04-02-2020 at 07:01 AM. Reason: I can read

http://king.canadane.com

Player
    Character
    Twelve Sevven
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 37
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadane View Post
    Flash was made redundant (though I miss blinding mobs) as all skills will have an enmity modifier with Shield Oath (which no longer reduces damage).
    Total Eclipse still has a combo move, Prominence. Learned at level 40.

Yes complexity is being reduced, they've outright admitted as such trying to streamline the game. They aren't keeping this a secret, it's been in multiple interviews.
    Ah, I see. That's a shame. Oh well, thank you for the quick response!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lufie Newleaf
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    Well they are keeping the total number of buttons about the same now with each expansion, but spread across 10 more levels than the previous xpac so it may feel like there's not much available at the lower end of the level range.

Paladin specifically only got more interesting offensively due to adding Atonement and Confiteor. The only thing that got dumbed down is tank role in general not needing to switch stances to manage dps and enmity.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Twelve Sevven
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 37
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufalus View Post
    Well they are keeping the total number of buttons about the same now with each expansion, but spread across 10 more levels than the previous xpac so it may feel like there's not much available at the lower end of the level range.

Paladin specifically only got more interesting offensively due to adding Atonement and Confiteor. The only thing that got dumbed down is tank role in general not needing to switch stances to manage dps and enmity.
    I looked at magic DPS role skills and there're barely any. I don't know, lots seems reduced in terms of skill numbers and usage. I get that it could be a wise thing in some ways, like taking out redundant skills but it just makes combat feel even less interactive.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Adeacia Lightheart
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I read once that there are only so many skill slots available to put skills in so it's either remove old ones to make room for new ones or we don't get new ones at all.
    (0)
    Last edited by Adeacia; 04-03-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Player
    Character
    Jenna Starsong
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadane View Post
    Yes complexity is being reduced, they've outright admitted as such trying to streamline the game.
    That's only sort of true. It's less about reducing complexity and more about reducing ability bloat. Even as far back as HW people were complaining about there being too many buttons and running out of hotbar space (e.g. on DRG the main combos alone take up almost an entire hotbar.) It's easy to talk about skill removal as SE trying to 'dumb down the game', but there's a middle ground between pressing 1,2,3, repeat, and needing 20 different buttons on every fight.
    (0)