Player
    Character
    Bernon Beauxstrix
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80

Midgardsormr (2.5 The Rising Chorus)

Just completed the quest The Rising Chorus in ARR 2.5, and "met" Midgardsormr.

I am a little confused about Middy on whether he is bad or good?

Seems the history is that he helped defend Eorzea from the Garlean attack of airships (good), but he fought me and took my crystals (bad). Now he is following me around to keep an eye on things (good)?

Also, he is planning to attack Ishgard because of something that was done in the past (bad).

Can someone kindly give a brief recap on what is going on at this stage in the story without spoiling anything? i.e. why does Middy want to attack Ishgard, why did he take my crystals, and why is he following me?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kalise Relanah
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    He took your crystals, because he wanted to see if you were worthy of the power entrusted to you.

Since, he wasn't sure if you actually had good intentions and believed that you might have taken the power yourself, which is not good for Hydaelyn given how weak she is.

He follows you around because he wants to ensure that you're doing what you say you're going to do.

He is not planning to attack Ishgard, he is merely stating that another of the first brood has signalled the call to attack Ishgard.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Right, Midgardsormr has a pact with Hydaelyn (the exact aspects of which are still a little bit murky but some aspects are covered in recent expansions), but when you show up in the wreck of the Agrius bearing the entire set of Crystals of Light he doesn't believe you really are the Warrior of Light and Hydaelyn's Champion, but just some upstart mortal that is stealing Hydaelyn's power to empower ourselves. As he's bound by his pact to protect Her (as mentioned above, Hydaelyn is weakening and using the Crystals is draining Her power further), he seals the Crystals to 'humble' us, and decides to follow the WoL on their journey to judge for himself whether they are truly who and what they say they are.

Nidhogg, Middy's child, is the leader of the Dravanian Horde who are the ones that relentlessly attack Ishgard, Middy does sort of agree with Nidhogg's eternal war in principle (as do most dragons in general, even the ones that actually stay out of the fight for their own reasons), but he does not participate himself at all. Needless to say, keep playing as it will all be revealed and explained further in time with the expansions.
    (8)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 03-21-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Player
    Character
    Bernon Beauxstrix
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Thank you so much. That really clears things up for now.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Vicious Zvahl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I loved that part of the story, especially when it was the most recent portion, and we had to wait to find out just exactly what the heck Mr. Sormr did to us. Definitely push forward, in short order you will be delighted.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Gemina Lunarian
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Midgarsormr's intent at that point in the story is supposed to be ambiguous. You're impression of "is he good or bad?" is exactly where your mind should be. He basically mirrors this impression of you, and much like you; approaches as if you are someone with ill intent.

What I think I can mention that was not already is that even though Middy has a pact with Hydaelyn, he is still Dravanian, and he loves his brood every bit as much as the WoL cares and loves for humanity. Keeping this in mind will help to understand his PoV and callousness; such as why he also questions Hydaelyn's decision making capability, when he sees she chose you (someone he sees as a chump) as her champion.

Another thing I've seen some people get confused on here is what Middy takes away. It is Hydaelyn's blessing that he constricts. You still have the Echo. The Blessing kicks in when you are in mortal danger such as when Lahabrea unleashes Ultima in Prae. Middy wants to see how well you will do without the mother crystal's safety net. Now that he is following you around everywhere; go ahead and show him what you're made of!
    (2)

How I came to be by the side of the chosen, and the moments we've sewn.
    This soul. Its attachment to all living things. The love they have known.
    Oh Warrior of light if only you could hear,
    just how closely I hold you dear.

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    To supplement what the others have said, check out the names of the attacks when you fight him at the end of Keeper of the Lake:
    • Inner Turmoil
    • Outer Turmoil
    • Admonishment (To warn or caution; to notify of a fault; to rebuke without cruelty but still very seriously)
    • Disdain (Contempt and scorn; to see as beneath you and/or despise it)
    • Condescension (Talking down to; patronizing; treating one as inferior)
    • Antipathy (A sense of incompatibility, aversion, and distaste)
    He's arguably as "good" as he ever was, but thinks you might be "bad".

You, whose life is the faintest spark in the aeons he has lived, just crawled up the corpse of the Keeper of the Lake, the Lord of Silvertear Falls, protector of the seal and keeper of a covenant with the world soul, worshiped as a creation of the Twelve themselves, and (completely ignorant of Ishgard's history with SPOILERS) asked him to call his son off from his vengeance upon them.

So he goes to flick this irreverent insect off his bones and into the horizon and Hydaelyn herself blocks the blow. He's pissed, and he instantly assumes that the only reason you look like a hero to anyone is that you're abusing Her support and draining Her dry to play savior.

From his point of view, it's in the world's best interest that you be temporarily sealed off from Her divine intervention and see where it goes. "If he dies, he dies." He doesn't realize your nature or the true status quo of the world until he wanders around with you for a little while, so give him time. Enough time with the Warrior of Light and everyone is wont to admit: "You're strong on your own, these gifts just augment that strength in a way that is needed to accomplish the tasks before you."

EDIT: Apologies if you read this before I edited out one of the spoily bits.
    Later 2.0 and early 3.0 got mooshed together and I mixed up the pacing of revelations, lol.
    (10)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-22-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola