Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Amazonia Kitsune
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 12

Mouse and keyboard or controller and which kind of skill set up/bar etc?

Hi i havent played many games like ffxiv before nor have i used a controller, and watching streamers of the game i feel a little overwhelmed with all the bars and set ups using both. I have tried both and am still not sure which i find easier to use as of yet pad or mouse,can anyone tell me which they find easiest and the hotbar system, skillset ups they find easiest ie 1-9 or QWERTY or F1 to F12 ect as i am a bit of a novice.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nosam Kin
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    You will get a huge variety of answers. Some people love the controller, others keyboard/mouse.
    However, many of the keyboard/mouse players have mice with extra buttons or they use a game pad.
    Personally I use a mouse, Razer orbweaver, and a normal keyboard. The orbweaver is has programmable keys so you can set it up however you like.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Amazonia Kitsune
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 12
    yea i have an omen mouse and corsair keyboard lol im not very computer savvy tho wish i was even with pad tho i still find myself having to use mouse and keyboard
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tessa Logrim
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    I've never tried to use the controller so i can't say for sure, but i've heard it's actually quite good.

As for KBM, i have a "classic" gaming mouse with only 2 thumb buttons, so nothing too crazy. I use one thumb button to target, and the other to focus the target.

I have 3 hotbars with the following bindings :
    1 2 3 4 5 q e r f c
    With CTRL : 1 2 3 4 q e r f c
    With ALT : 1 2 3 4 q e r f c
    With LSHIFT : q e r f

Although i have to admit the game sometimes makes me wish i had a mouse with 10 thumb buttons, at least this setup allows me to move + use actions at the same time (once your muscle memory has worked out all your keybinds, it gets natural and you hit them automatically).
    Try to keep things logical for your brain as well. For example, i know i use Swiftcast + Raise a lot as a healer, so i bound them to ALT+R and ALT+E, which allowed me to remember this specific combination pretty fast.

So yeah, if unlike me you have a super high-tech mouse, i would recommend using it to its fullest, because depending on the class you will have a ton of skills to manage when you're 80.
    Also, don't use keybindings for stuff that you don't need in fights (like mounts, or buffs that are activated only once at the beginning of a dungeon).

Other players will probably have better advice to give, but i hope at least this gave you a bit of information to work with
    (0)
    Last edited by Kraniel; 03-13-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Player
    Character
    Gabriel Morgan
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Controller works much better than it should, its pretty great actually. You just have to turn on extended hotbars, its basically mandatory.

Healing takes some gettimg used to but is perfectly feasible
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Amazonia Kitsune
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 12
    oooh how do i get extnded hot bars please is that where there are two identical hotbars to the ones you start with so its like four in all ? been trying to find out how to get them
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Amazonia Kitsune
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 12
    nvm i found out how thx though ok maybe not how do i get two more cross hot bars up all the time so they stay on screen? i got it this time yay
    but how do i use the second crossbar with the pad if say i put more skills on it?
    (0)
    Last edited by DizzyDee; 03-12-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kris Goldenshield
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Hi! I am 90% keyboard (I rarely use the mouse except for camera angles).

What I do is:
    Bar 1: 1-0, + and -
    Bar 2: CTRL+ 1-10, + and -
    Bar 3: ALT + 1-10 + and -
    BAR 4 (rarely used) CTRL+ALT + 1-10 + and -

IN ADDITION, I also have the numpad bound to the hotkeys, so I can hit 1 here or 1 there...both work.
    This lets me use the mouse + left numbers, or run around with WADS and the right numbers depending on the job.

The second big thing to do, you'll notice a LOT of jobs have very similar rotations or patterns of play. I would recommend mapping the same kinds of skills to the same places.

In my case, 4-5-6 is my main rotation on any job, with CTRL or ALT 4-5-6 being alternative rotations (like Monk uses CTRL, Samurai uses both). I use 7-8-9 for AoE rotations if they exist, etc. My ranged attention grabber (shield lob, tomahawk, etc) is 3... and so on.

This will help when you play a second/third job to not get lost in your keys.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bernon Beauxstrix
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraniel View Post
    I have 3 hotbars with the following bindings :
    1 2 3 4 5 q e r f c
    With CTRL : 1 2 3 4 q e r f c
    With ALT : 1 2 3 4 q e r f c
    With MAJ : q e r f
    Thanks for sharing this. Having hotbar keys assigned to the letters around W A S D makes sense. I am over here struggling to reach 7-9, especially with Ctrl.

I have two questions on your set up:
    1. What is MAJ?
    2. How do you quickly avoid AOEs without the use of Q / E as side-strafing?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tessa Logrim
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottDoom View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. Having hotbar keys assigned to the letters around W A S D makes sense. I am over here struggling to reach 7-9, especially with Ctrl.

I have two questions on your set up:
    1. What is MAJ?
    2. How do you quickly avoid AOEs without the use of Q / E as side-strafing?
    Ah, my bad, it's the old french habit (MAJ means SHIFT in french, i edited my previous post). So what i'm actually using is the LSHIFT key (right on top of CTRL).

When you're walking/running, you can turn around by facing the direction of your choice with the camera (mouse), so i simply decided to rebind left/right strafing to A and D.

Unless you play only on the keyboard like kaynide, or use mouse click to move, i would definitely not recommend using anything above 5. I know it can take some getting used to, but once you have found your bindings, you'll be pretty much set for all your classes. After that it's just a matter of muscle memory.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kraniel; 03-13-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast