Player
    Character
    Celes Bradford
    World
    Typhon
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90

Suggestion to Square.

To Square: Have a "Speed Run" and "Non Speed Run" Flag on duty finder.

Speed runs are great for those who are doing the dungeon for the 10th time. But really really bad for those who are doing it for the 1st time and want to enjoy it.

Having a flag on duty finder will allow those who like speed runs to have their speed runs. And those who hate speed runs to avoid them.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vicious Zvahl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Murky water. I'm not against the idea, but for some folks speed running the dungeon the first time through is how they want/plan to enjoy it. I don't think this would mitigate speedsters too much, might even lead to more negative interactions.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Frizze Steeleblaze
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    So once you get to current expansion content, youll have the option to run dungeons for the first time with trusts which completely negates the issue. As for your suggestion, i doubt it would work. Youre effectively trying to cut the people queing for any specific piece of content into smaller groups. When a group gets too small those ques never pop, and you might be overestimating the percentage of people who would rather go slow by a lot. The best advice i can offer is that if you only want to run a piece of content in a certain way, pre-form a party for it. Whether thats going with friends, going via party finder, or getting involved in a slow-run community(i imagine there are LSs for this sort of thing). Queing via the duty finder means you should be ready to work with whatever group comes your way. Those could be people who want to go super fast(so... normal), eeeeeeeextra slow(a friend once ended up in a group that wanted to stop and RP after every boss), or even lalas(the worst of all!).
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Liam Harper
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    It's a fair suggestion, but I can't see it happening because it would mean Enix openly admitting speed-runs and wall pulls are a play-style and catering to that.

I feel Yoshi likes to stay in a little bubble with his fingers in his ears and pretend that we all pull single packs in dungeons, don't aoe much, never dps as healers, love Majohng, BLU and Vermillion, never look at our own performance, comm intelligently and are super friendly to the new guy and work together regardless of wipes.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bernon Beauxstrix
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by rxantos View Post
    Having a flag on duty finder will allow those who like speed runs to have their speed runs. And those who hate speed runs to avoid them.
    I had this exact same thought!

The problem is it would just be a flag/indicator, and as mentioned would further divide up the pool of players in the DF. There would need to be a way to ensure that players that selected the "Slow" option would actually run the dungeon slow. Otherwise you may end up with trolls, or people possibly looking for a faster queue time. This is where I got stuck with the idea, as I couldn't think of what game mechanics could force players to move slowly through a dungeon.

For speed runs, the time limit could be lessened significantly. On the slow end, besides gating off areas (like with bosses) it would be very difficult to ensure players went slowly.

The best option is to use PF or look for a party through other means.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hello Welcome
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 69
    Anything in a roulette should be assumed to not be a speed run.
    The whole purpose of the roulette is an extra reward to offset that you are queing randomly potentially to help first timers.

Speed run tag would have to be disabled for roulettes.

However, if queing for a specific dungeon or set of dungeons and you wanted to wait to find people interested in going quickly, it makes sense.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vicious Zvahl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    The whole purpose of the roulette is an extra reward to offset that you are queing randomly potentially to help first timers.

Speed run tag would have to be disabled for roulettes.

However, if queing for a specific dungeon or set of dungeons and you wanted to wait to find people interested in going quickly, it makes sense.
    The point of roulettes isn't that they go slow, it's to make sure a certain set of instances are still getting done. The extra reward is there to give incentive to players to do said roulette with said instances, even if they don't really like those instances. Doing a roulette doesn't guarantee you get a newbie. Not all newbies take it slow, either.

Also even if they did implement something like a speed/no speed tag, then they'd have to clearly define what = slow and what = speed. Like sure, we as players have ideas of what we consider fast or slow in a dungeon, but it actually varies person to person. Compound on top of this what it would mean vs. the item level rating for the dungeon. To go faster means you need better gear, so the fast category would have to lock out people who want to go fast but don't have the gear for it.

It's really too muddy, and we as players really need to just step up and control our own experience. You can queue for roulettes with preformed parties, so while that might not be convenient, per se, you have the option already to go with who you want to go with, if you're willing to coordinate with friends or PF people to cater to how you want your dungeons run.

Something I really don't like is when two friends queue together into a roulette, and then vote kick somebody based on some idea they have about the person stinking up the run. It's a bit of a tangent, I know, but really, I just want to highlight that given player perception already having players treat each other poorly, we'd only be adding fuel the fire if we added a murky speed/slow tag.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pepsi Plunge
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    In reality the opposite is usually the case, as roulettes are seen as a quick way to make some stones/xp. So a lot of people only want to do their daily set as fast as possible and then carry one with the important stuff. Mix it up with higher levels MNKs and DRGs who want to keep up their buffs at all cost and you can forget about "taking it slow" or you will hear a lot of complains.

Setting or unsetting a flag for speed-run would change nothing.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pepsi_Plunge; 03-05-2020 at 04:22 PM.