Though I understand that Astrologian is “supposed” to give that RNG feel, I think a Gambler job class could be an interesting addition to the game. The Gambler would be a Physical Ranged DPS, but would also have a lot of attacks that deal magic damage as well, kind of like Ninja. My proposal for this job, is that it should have a unique level progression, similar to Blue Mage’s level progression, in that you level up by playing Gold Saucer content.

I’m sure a lot of people like Gold Saucer right now, but I’m a player who finds no reason to do anything with it- mostly because it’s not tied to a job class that I can play in a raid “cough cough” Blue Mage. That being said, I’m not proposing that you bar Gambler from content like Blue Mage. All I’m asking is that both of these jobs level progression simply be unique instead of being behind the others. Progression for a Gambler would look a lot like having new combat GATES in the Gold Saucer, mixed with simply just playing the games available. In all cases, any job should be able to Raid and progress the main scenario.

I play a lot of Ninja on the controller and I really like the way Mudras feel. I think a similar feeling could be achieved if a Gambler has a “Slots” ability that they get to roll matches every so often. They could have a red suite and black suite stance where each gives critical or direct hit bonuses, they can roll sets of dice, they could use Gil and MPG toss, because the job is all about farming Money at the gold Saucer. Your character should be able to become rich enough to have a seat on the Syndicate in Ul’dah through the quest line, perhaps even succeeding Godbert Manderville.

Unlike Blue Mage that can do anything, a Gambler is more narrow in the scope of what it does, and therefore, has an ability kit that doesn’t require as much thought-put as spell collecting. This is a big opportunity. I don’t think this takes away from Astrologian. Astro’s RNG system has become very homogenized and boring, and I hope the team will look into making it diverse and and interesting again, but that’s a story for another time. Anyways what do you guys think?