Player
    Character
    Pherrous Phlaymes
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 51

My [overly] simple way of playing the game

I'm newly back in the game after many years and other failed game experiences. I decided to do everything I could, and got my character to lvl52. I got a bit burned out with the XP grind of 45-50 of matching my character and main story line levels. So, I did what I usually do and which I find most enjoyable: starting a new character. I vowed that I would 'do things right this time'. I joined a FC, worked on the GC, the mount, crafting, playing the auction house for gil. After doing all this for a few characters, I came to some conclusions. Always stay about 4-7 levels in character level above the main story line level. You don't need to do any or many sidequests to maintain that difference. Don't bother with the GC: I don't see any value in it. Don't craft: you can rarely sell things for a profit, can often buy gear cheaper than making it, and get most good gear from quests and dungeons anyway. I like having the chocobo as a companion, so I train him. And don't go out of your way to make gil: when you're at a place where you might really need it (which I've never found), you're better equipped to make it at lvl50 than at lvl20 anyway.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shiyun Dazkar
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    I don't understand why you had to grind XP. I was around 10 levels overleveled for main story quest. I had to start new job for Shadowbringer just not to lose XP from the quest line.
    Just do your daily dungeon roulette and if it's not enough add 1-2 dungeons at your max. level.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Varking Runesong
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 53
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiiyun View Post
    I don't understand why you had to grind XP. I was around 10 levels overleveled for main story quest. I had to start new job for Shadowbringer just not to lose XP from the quest line.
    Just do your daily dungeon roulette and if it's not enough add 1-2 dungeons at your max. level.
    I am brand new and the only time I had to do quests outside the normal MSQ was around the 45-48 area. I ran out of MSQ and only had access to one roulette that I could get. Other than that since 50 I have 100 MSQ to do plus I now have access to four roulettes. I am going to be over 60 by the time I get to the expansion stuff.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Auriana Redsteele
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 82
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiiyun View Post
    Some things have changed over the years, including XP curves.
    Used to be that you very easily ran out of quests around level 45-47 and had to some grinding to continue with the MSQ. This is not longer the case. These days you will instead outlevel quests easily unless you take care not to.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Elai Khatahdyn
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPaTheos View Post
    I'm newly back in the game after many years and other failed game experiences. I decided to do everything I could, and got my character to lvl52. I got a bit burned out with the XP grind of 45-50 of matching my character and main story line levels. So, I did what I usually do and which I find most enjoyable: starting a new character. I vowed that I would 'do things right this time'. I joined a FC, worked on the GC, the mount, crafting, playing the auction house for gil. After doing all this for a few characters, I came to some conclusions. Always stay about 4-7 levels in character level above the main story line level. You don't need to do any or many sidequests to maintain that difference. Don't bother with the GC: I don't see any value in it. Don't craft: you can rarely sell things for a profit, can often buy gear cheaper than making it, and get most good gear from quests and dungeons anyway. I like having the chocobo as a companion, so I train him. And don't go out of your way to make gil: when you're at a place where you might really need it (which I've never found), you're better equipped to make it at lvl50 than at lvl20 anyway.
    If you plan on doing much at all in the game, you need to bother with the Grand Company. There are a number of things locked behind GC rank including squadrons, PvP and buying an apartment/house/room in your FC house. GC seals are also exchangeable for quite a few items including minions, gear, mats (some of which are only available from your GC I believe) and - most importantly for a lot of people - venture coins. You also can't do GC leves if you don't work on your rank, at least the higher level ones.

Very bad advice, telling anyone to ignore GC. I'd also say it's bad advice telling people not to level crafters. I mean, if you hate crafting, fair enough. But a lot of folks enjoy it and enjoy gathering too. You may think you have enough gear and Gil, but wait until you discover that glamour is the real endgame and glamour gear is FAR from cheap. Likewise housing. You will need millions of Gil for stuff like that.

Imo, play the way you want, that's fine. But don't tell people not to do content, your way may not be their way and your statements are somewhat misleading
    (2)
    Last edited by Elladie; 02-28-2020 at 03:42 AM.