Player
    Character
    Aurelius Lyon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Truen View Post
    True. But on the issue of balance, I sure miss the days where my pet was more than just a ghost following me around effectively acting like a dot I applied to various targets. Tanking through my Pet was fun...I don't like this iteration of SMN very much at all.
    Actually I think it's the opposite. You're more involved with your pet than ever with the current pet rework. Back in Stormblood it was viable to just keep Ifrit on Sic if you don't care too much about minmaxing your damage, while you only cared about Garuda's contagion but forget it exists afterwards.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Dyvid Pandemonium
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 90
    The biggest issue I have with summoner in 5.XX series is it just doesn't mesh together anymore. It has good concepts like Demi Phoenix phase and Egi Assaults but then Dreadwyrm trance and Demi-Bahamut feels dated and out of place. Then you add SMN staples like DoTs and Aetherflow; you just end up with too many mechanics that aren't working together in harmony like 4.XX series did. Given SE's track record, they aren't going to revamp the job during 5.XX to make it play better and will wait till 6.0 comes out sadly.

P.S. I give up on SE giving us Egi Shiva / Ramuh / Leviathan <(; _ ; )>
    (0)
    Last edited by Dyvid; 04-04-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Player
    Character
    Nemekh Kinryuu
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Not everything in 4.x flowed together perfectly either, even after the 4.1 adjustments. In that regard every new iteration has been steps backwards which has lead to not the best play feel vs what could have been.

Honestly gives the impression as to how little the job gets play tested. I would pay to see Yoshida play SMN on a PLL showcasing changes and improvements instead of it just being talked about. If not him, then one familiar enough with it all. There would be no need to apologise for these setbacks if things were better polished from the onset. The devs emphasise not wanting for players to experience job stress from things being less functional. For the most part things are much better but there remains some issues that are a source of job stress all surrounding the problem area that is pet AI plaguing not only us but SCH and to lesser extents even MCH.
    (3)
    Summoner Afficionado

Creator of AkhMorning: https://www.akhmorning.com

Player
    Character
    Brunox Sky
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnertime View Post
    Actually I think it's the opposite. You're more involved with your pet than ever with the current pet rework. Back in Stormblood it was viable to just keep Ifrit on Sic if you don't care too much about minmaxing your damage, while you only cared about Garuda's contagion but forget it exists afterwards.

Not really, but that's okay we can agree to disagree. Now, sure we have some buttons to click, but besides that our pets are basically invulnerable--invincible--and therefore irrelevant to gameplay in every way except for dps mitigation. I really enjoyed healing my pet with the SMN and playing through the pet by letting it tank for me...but, those days are gone. Now it's basically just a glorified floating dot with a few DD clickies.

So it's not like what you're saying isn't true...I just really don't like the fact pets are untargetable, and hence, incapable of tanking.
    (1)
    Last edited by Truen; 04-04-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Player
    Character
    Aurelius Lyon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Truen View Post
    Not really, but that's okay we can agree to disagree. Now, sure we have some buttons to click, but besides that our pets are basically invulnerable--invincible--and therefore irrelevant to gameplay in every way except for dps mitigation. I really enjoyed healing my pet with the SMN and playing through the pet by letting it tank for me...but, those days are gone. Now it's basically just a glorified floating dot with a few DD clickies.

So it's not like what you're saying isn't true...I just really don't like the fact pets are untargetable, and hence, incapable of tanking.
    With Demi summons, a tank pet simply wouldn't work anymore. It needed to be scrapped and it was about time.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Aduro Terrarum
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnertime View Post
    With Demi summons, a tank pet simply wouldn't work anymore. It needed to be scrapped and it was about time.
    But I miss my tank pet! Topaz as Tank, Chocobo as DPS, me as second DPS and Healer. It was like a perfect little party! Oh those were the days...
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Aurelius Lyon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by AduroT View Post
    But I miss my tank pet! Topaz as Tank, Chocobo as DPS, me as second DPS and Healer. It was like a perfect little party! Oh those were the days...
    Summoner can probably get a tank dummy pet that can be summoned with an Egi/Demi simultaneously and that can actually hold hate, but I know people will complain even more that Summoner can do everything.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Red Rider
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Chocobo is a better tank than the chicken nugget ever was anyways.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Leidolf Kvasir
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    I respectfully disagree. At least as a Tank the Topaz and Titan Tot at least could take a hit if the tank goes down while you raise because the Healer went down next. A stone skin barrier does little to help when the boss is actively trying to pound you in the face. Honestly, the only time I summon them now is when I want the barrier to eat up an AoE or unavoidable hit before I switch back over to DPS summons.

Besides, my Chocobo has taken enough beatings in my place to warrant a break.
    (0)
    Last edited by Leidolf; 04-14-2020 at 06:00 AM.

Player
    Character
    Aduro Terrarum
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 80
    Granted my chocobo wasn’t as leveled back then, but I always found Topaz and Titan to be a better tank, holding agro and taking hits.

Anyways we’re getting off topic. The point is we need more Carbuncles. Let me glamour Bahamut and Phoenix into Carbuncles.
    (0)

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast