Player
    Character
    Emelyne Octavian
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavrias View Post
    You absolutely have a choice. You just dont like the options. Think of buying the excess materials as a convenience fee. Don't wanna pay it? Go gather the materials yourself. Takes maybe ten minutes assuming you dont need a timed node's materials.
    This is a strawman argument as the topic is about the AH not about choice, and the OP example was just the example of why the AH is inefficient. Also buying excess materials is an INCONVENIENCE fee. When you go to the store to purchase one item of something but they only sell them in packs of six when you don't need or want six it's an inconvenience. Most of the time if the item is really cheap you're not going to care about purchasing an excess of something but when they're not cheap you're likely to not buy the item(s) at all.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alloou Trick
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 74
    Call me weird but I like this system we have now... Mostly. As a seller it encourages me to consider more than just how often it sells and for how much. I also need to consider how much people will buy at once. As an example, if it's a HQ food item for a culinarian quest it would be ideal to sell in the exact quantity that quest needs. If it's a basic low level crafting material then selling it in a stack of 99 might not be such a good idea
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jyn Willowsong
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlantan View Post
    This is a strawman argument as the topic is about the AH not about choice, and the OP example was just the example of why the AH is inefficient. Also buying excess materials is an INCONVENIENCE fee. When you go to the store to purchase one item of something but they only sell them in packs of six when you don't need or want six it's an inconvenience. Most of the time if the item is really cheap you're not going to care about purchasing an excess of something but when they're not cheap you're likely to not buy the item(s) at all.
    The post i was replying to mentioned choices and thats what i decided to touch on. Not a strawman if i wasnt talking about the OP as a whole, and instead a small part of it.
    The convenience is going to the market board to just buy your mats instead of going out to gather them yourself. A convenience fee is an excess charge applied to a purchase in exchange for ease of access or payment (usually applied in cases of credit/ debit card transactions.)

Your options are buying a big stack (where you can just resell the excess), buy a smaller amount but at an increased price (tons of people, including myself put small or even single stacks of a material on the market board at double or more the price of larger stacks), or gather them yourself for free.

While i wouldnt complain if there was a change that would allow a buyer to buy portions of stacks, i know the general prices would increase to account for the change.
    (2)

4. 10-12-2019 08:13 AM
    Reason
    double post

Player
    Character
    Maeka Blazewing
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Haha, I love the people who think it takes 10 minutes to gather the materials to make anything in HW+.

So you can go out and get 20, 30 different materials (because you know it wants several nuggets, ingots, wood, glue, cloth, leather pretty much the whole shebang) in 10 minutes. lol. Yeah right. I tried making a Lv60 SCH book once, and I timed it. It took ~28 minutes to get all the materials involved in the book, and that's without farming the leather as I already had some, and that's with me having flying unlocked, and Lv70 DoH, that it was easy to HQ. No timed nodes involved.

As for money, oh, I have money but I don't want to waste it on people who want too much for their stuff. As for selling healer runs, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to stoop that low to make a buck. If I did that, then I'd be no better than the other people who do that crap that I rather dislike and disagree with.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jyn Willowsong
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeka View Post
    Haha, I love the people who think it takes 10 minutes to gather the materials to make anything in HW+.

So you can go out and get 20, 30 different materials (because you know it wants several nuggets, ingots, wood, glue, cloth, leather pretty much the whole shebang) in 10 minutes. lol. Yeah right. I tried making a Lv60 SCH book once, and I timed it. It took ~28 minutes to get all the materials involved in the book, and that's without farming the leather as I already had some, and that's with me having flying unlocked, and Lv70 DoH, that it was easy to HQ. No timed nodes involved.

As for money, oh, I have money but I don't want to waste it on people who want too much for their stuff. As for selling healer runs, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to stoop that low to make a buck. If I did that, then I'd be no better than the other people who do that crap that I rather dislike and disagree with.
    If I were making a craft such as a full set of HQ lvl 74 crafting gear, I would simply know where to go to get the materials I need and not spend 20 minutes flying around looking for stuff. Like RIP to ya'll but I'm different.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Also buying excess materials is an INCONVENIENCE fee.
    A convenience fee is a fee given in exchange for something's convenience, just as we are taxed for luxury, not by luxury. No one's going to charge you a luxury tax by buying you a McLaran and offering you a penthouse suite -- that would hardly be taxing.

On topic:

Allowing the seller to sell items piece-wise doubly empowers the seller, even if the buyer may benefit as well down the line. The only real change is that sellers can put up stacks of 99 at the same inflated price as they'd normally charge for individual items or a handful without spending a sales slot for each of those previously separate entries, essentially increasing available (fine-amount) supply without necessarily decreasing price.

...That being said, as it becomes less costly for sellers to offer fine-amount purchases, it's quite likely that the inflated value will eventually decrease. Only then will such a change actually benefit the buyer.

In the same vein, QoL conveniences for the buyer, such as WoW's "price of all relevant materials" function, also ultimately benefit the sellers most, because quicker purchases shrink (seemingly) static supply and similarly increases sale output -- at least where relevant to, in this case, crafting materials.

How is buying an excess material that is equally-priced a convenience fee? That's not a convenience fee. A convenience fee would be if ten ores were worth 100 Gil, but someone sold them for 110 Gil with the extra 10 Gil being the convenience fee. Buying 15 materials when you want 10 isn't a convenience fee, it's just an inconvenience. At least for me, not worth the price unless the price is very cheap, but even then it's still an inconvenience as it just takes up more space in my inventory/retainer.
    Look at the original basis of the comment. Buying excess goods is the convenience fee charged by using the market.

I obviously don't think that fee warrants strong protection, but neither do I think its interplay should be fully removed from the game. I think, however, sellers should have the added convenience of being able to allow for fine purchases without having to give up their 20 sale slots just to sell 20 smaller selections. And I do think allowing such could eventually trickle into effects beneficial for the market as a whole. That's it.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shurrikhan; 10-12-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Player
    Character
    Emelyne Octavian
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurrikhan View Post
    A convenience fee is a fee given in exchange for something's convenience, just as we are taxed for luxury, not by luxury. No one's going to charge you a luxury tax by buying you a McLaran and offering you a penthouse suite -- that would hardly be taxing.

On topic:

Allowing the seller to sell items piece-wise doubly empowers the seller, even if the buyer may benefit as well down the line. The only real change is that sellers can put up stacks of 99 at the same inflated price as they'd normally charge for individual items or a handful without spending a sales slot for each of those previously separate entries, essentially increasing available (fine-amount) supply without necessarily decreasing price.

...That being said, as it becomes less costly for sellers to offer fine-amount purchases, it's quite likely that the inflated value will eventually decrease. Only then will such a change actually benefit the buyer.

In the same vein, QoL conveniences for the buyer, such as WoW's "price of all relevant materials" function, also ultimately benefit the sellers most, because quicker purchases shrink (seemingly) static supply and similarly increases sale output -- at least where relevant to, in this case, crafting materials.
    How is buying an excess material that is equally-priced a convenience fee? That's not a convenience fee. A convenience fee would be if ten ores were worth 100 Gil, but someone sold them for 110 Gil with the extra 10 Gil being the convenience fee. Buying 15 materials when you want 10 isn't a convenience fee, it's just an inconvenience. At least for me, not worth the price unless the price is very cheap, but even then it's still an inconvenience as it just takes up more space in my inventory/retainer.
    (0)
    Last edited by Darlantan; 10-12-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Player
    Character
    Jyn Willowsong
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    The convenience: you dont have to gather/ craft intermediary mats yourself.

The fee: you're paying more gil because youre getting extra product. Or alternatively, you pay more gil for less product at a mark up.

It doesnt have to take up extra inventory space. You could easily just sell your extras on the market.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76

The fee: you're paying more gil because youre getting extra product. Or alternatively, you pay more gil for less product at a mark up.
    The lattter part of that would be fine if it allowed players to get what they need. many many players have said they'd happily pay more for the specific quantity they need..

this is exactly why people have suggested time and time again to allow stacks to be breakable for a higher unit price...

sure you can list 99 ingots at a unit price of say 1k and sell the entrie stack for 99k as a bulk lot only..
    or you could list those 99 ingots at 2.5k per unit and let people buy 1 2 4 6 7 exactly the quantity they need. even with a 150% markup for the convenience.. people would rather cough up 10k for the 4 ingots they need than 99k for a full stack they don't..
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jojoya Joya
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90

It doesnt have to take up extra inventory space. You could easily just sell your extras on the market.
    Having to resell the extras takes up up one of your limited MB listings that could be used to sell something else. It turns you into a competitor of the person you purchased from if they are selling more of that item.

It also potentially means one fewer listing on the MB of other items that might be more in demand but are not getting supplied because players want to sell their higher profit items first even if that means listing multiple stacks of the same item.

If players could list a full stack instead of having to break that stack down into smaller quantities that people are willing to buy, it would open up more listings that could be used to sell other things that are in demand but not getting supplied because the profit is considered too low compared to the profit from other items. Buyers will have a larger selection of items to buy from, filling in some under-serviced areas of the market.

You could also list that stack at the preferred higher price instead of having to reduce the price hoping to find someone willing to buy the larger stack at a lower per item cost (which doesn't work unless the demand is much greater than the supply). If the item is in high enough demand, all of it will sell at your higher price increasing your profits. The buyer is happy because they were able to buy only what they needed and had gil left to make another purchase immediately (which could always be something else you're selling) instead of having to wait for the excess to sell before they can buy more items.

Not being able to buy partial stacks in a market where we're very limited on how many listings we can have at one time works against both buyer and seller.
    (3)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast