Player
    Character
    Iiiiiiiiiiit's Meeeee
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyAmIHere View Post
    I'll freely admit I attribute Soken to being in charge of the overall sound team. But I'm not certain if that's the case at all honestly.
    I've been trying to look into this and here's what I've found:
    In some places around the web he is credited as FF14's composer and sound editor. However...

When he first started cutting his teeth in the field he says he "actually didn’t compose many songs at all,” he continues. “I was instead creating sound effects for various games."
    However,
    "Final Fantasy XIV was when he started focusing on music composition. He was involved with every aspect of sound, including effects and voiceover recordings. It’s until recently that he’s shifted to mostly just composing the scores."
    https://www.fanbyte.com/news/ffxiv-c...new-interview/

It looks like that's a bit of an understatement, as in Shadow Bringers end credits Soken isn't even listed in their "sound division."
    (@8:03)
    https://youtu.be/DUX7P6FTW8Q

So he probably had nothing to do with making GNB's SFX. If he had any interaction with GNB's SFX he probably had to give it a stamp of approval (though not necessarily in a directorial role. It's common in Japanese companies for your co-workers to all approve your work before it's sent for approval higher up the ladder), though this seems unlikely with 14's development.
    (6)
    Last edited by ItMe; 03-31-2021 at 11:31 PM.

Player
    Character
    Elan Centauri
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    So a bit of an update here...I have noticed that there may be a bit more weight to GNB's sword sound. Not what it was in 5.0, mind you, but it sounds just a tad different now to me. PS5 version, if that matters.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida View Post
    Personal Housing
    While I cannot give a specific date on when personal housing will be implemented, I can say that prices will be completely separate from free company housing, and, naturally, far more affordable.

Player
    Character
    Shao Kuraisenshi
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    i don't notice any diference, is the same poor bat sound as been and if there was any change they would have include it on the patch notes.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Olivia Steelheart
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Sounded the same to me, too.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Mute Shellback
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Agreed. Sounds the same, only thing that's changed is 4k visuals with 360p quality whump whoomp sound effects.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Baraitar Nazzlohsyn
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 80
    Honestly, when I first tried out GNB at the start of ShB I was turned off by the weapon sounds. They sounded really weird and... "tinny"? It didn't have a proper slash sound and was really off-putting. The current sound effects aren't perfect, but that's probably because they didn't have the time to go out and record new sounds, so they just edited the sounds they had which is how we ended up with the bat-like "woosh". The main culprit is the "woosh", which was probably pitch-shifted a bit too far down and now gives the wrong impression.

The higher-pitched tinks and shinks are still in the sound and I like those as they are now. The "woosh" just needs to be shifted or replaced or lowered in volume so it's not at the forefront of the sound effect. Even in edits I've seen on YouTube trying to show the sounds blended, the "woosh" still feels off, both in the old and current versions. The "woosh" has no weight in the old version (making the whole sound too tinny), while it's too heavy in the current version (making it sound like a metal bat).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Claire Oreiro
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyitoechito View Post
    Honestly, when I first tried out GNB at the start of ShB I was turned off by the weapon sounds. They sounded really weird and... "tinny"? It didn't have a proper slash sound and was really off-putting. The current sound effects aren't perfect, but that's probably because they didn't have the time to go out and record new sounds, so they just edited the sounds they had which is how we ended up with the bat-like "woosh". The main culprit is the "woosh", which was probably pitch-shifted a bit too far down and now gives the wrong impression.

The higher-pitched tinks and shinks are still in the sound and I like those as they are now. The "woosh" just needs to be shifted or replaced or lowered in volume so it's not at the forefront of the sound effect. Even in edits I've seen on YouTube trying to show the sounds blended, the "woosh" still feels off, both in the old and current versions. The "woosh" has no weight in the old version (making the whole sound too tinny), while it's too heavy in the current version (making it sound like a metal bat).
    I think most people will agree that 5.0 sounds lacked any weight in them, but 5.01 sounds are so damn terrible, that if we have to choose between two (because we know full well devs are too lazy to make 3rd version), 5.0 is obvious choice.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mute Shellback
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyitoechito View Post

A thing I'd love to have more of a census on is how folks have their sound settings.
    I personally use Bass Boosted in-game, because it just sounds natural to me.

I wasn't too clearly able to discern much difference so I wonder if anyone else could add in to this idea.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Higura Gainishigi
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    We should keep being vocal and asking for them to re-add the Gunbreaker sounds, since we'll eventually get our way as evidenced by the male viera crowd, right?
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Claire Oreiro
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Karious View Post
    We should keep being vocal and asking for them to re-add the Gunbreaker sounds, since we'll eventually get our way as evidenced by the male viera crowd, right?
    I would sooner expect them to break Reaper sfx (suspiciously slashy) than to fix GNB sfx. But it does not mean I'm going to forget it just like that. As long as I play this game, I'm going to send regularly scheduled in-game reports. Unless I have a break, then they are not as regularly scheduled as they could.
    (2)

Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast