Hybrid View

Player
    Character
    Yoso Carrasco
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 74

The new fights have some unclear mechanics (maybe spoilers?)

Most of the Stormblood fights have been fun because most of the time it's easy to tell what to do because there's clear indicators, voice/audio cues and the like, but some of the new fights have mechanics that are rough to figure out for the wrong reasons.

There's already been a thread about Starboard/Lardboard in Alphascape v3 and I can't imagine how much of a pain it is for dyslexic people because there is literally no other indicator besides the text and the words look pretty similar. Even worse is that I play with 2 Japanese players and the attacks are seriously just called Left/Right lasers in Japanese, so why was this mechanic made more annoying to figure out in other languages for no reason other than flavor? I also play with a German player and not even THAT language was safe from this.

There's some problems with v4 as well. Why aren't the icons used in the final phase just Blue Male/Pink Female symbol instead of the weird body shape icons we have now? That way the icon would be way different and also the color would help people recognize it more quickly. You could have also just made the female symbol more curved if you insist on using the ones you have now.

On top of that that phase has a mechanic where the bosses are buffed up if they are close to each other that we didn't notice for a few attempts because it's only indicated by a buff icon on the boss' status bars instead of a tether like everything else in this expansion so far. It's not like it makes the mechanic any difficult. On top of that it is easy to miss if the boss has a lot of dots and such on it, and the boss already has a mostly useless buff that tells you what form it is in that makes it easy to just filter out the "too close to the other one" buff.
    (0)
    Last edited by Estellios; 09-29-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Estellios View Post
    Even worse is that I play with 2 Japanese players and the attacks are seriously just called Left/Right lasers in Japanese, so why was this mechanic made more annoying to figure out in other languages for no reason other than flavor?
    They're not, though. They're called Starboard and Larboard; it just so happens that the symbols for Starboard and Larboard include the symbols for Right and Left.

Quote Originally Posted by Estellios View Post
    On top of that that phase has a mechanic where the bosses are buffed up if they are close to each other that we didn't notice for a few attempts because it's only indicated by a buff icon on the boss' status bars instead of a tether like everything else in this expansion so far.
    The buff is there because the boost persists for 40s after they use it. It doesn't disappear with distance.

I do agree about the male/female debuff symbols though; those would be a lot clearer with actual male/female symbols.
    (1)
    Last edited by Rongway; 09-29-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Tori Yasa
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    The mechanic is incredibly simple to figure out, regarding Larboard and Starboard.

Larboard starts with "L", meaning get away from Omega's left. You don't even need to comprehend the attack name. Just look for the first letter.

You're welcome!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Faeon Nightwhisper
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Curcio View Post
    The mechanic is incredibly simple to figure out, regarding Larboard and Starboard.

Larboard starts with "L", meaning get away from Omega's left. You don't even need to comprehend the attack name. Just look for the first letter.

You're welcome!
    Yes, but it is which side his head is facing, which is what i think is confusing.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Dainah Bunnie
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Its from omegas right/left side. Everyone except mt should usually be standing behind him so you’re ready to avoid those.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Lifehack: If your tank is facing north, follow directions as normal (Larboard=L=Left). As soon as you dodge the first one, turn your camera so that you're facing south (because he always spins). From there, dodge again using the same reference. This is the easy way. Or you can remember to dodge normally first, then since he always spins--if he does the opposite named move stay still. If he does the same move 2x, dodge the first normally, then dodge the other way the second.

Example"

1st Larboard (dodge right) + 2nd Larboard (dodge left)

1st Larboard (dodge right) + 2nd Starboard (stay right)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ulala Ula
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 60
    Nice and what im i supposed to do with "Backbord" and "Steuerbord" ? xD

Its dumb and if it would be alpha/beta or 1/2 cannon would be easier... just not these stupid terms Q_Q
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    This is not different from learning Bright Blade and Dark blade, those also aren't intuitive either, you simply learn which means which. Same principle applies.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nestama Eynfoetsyn
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycbad View Post
    This is not different from learning Bright Blade and Dark blade, those also aren't intuitive either, you simply learn which means which. Same principle applies.
    Bright Blade was right and you can't spell Bright without right. So that was easy enough for me to learn.
    Larboard caught me off guard, but I now just look at it and go "left also starts with an L!" I do get thrown for a loop whenever Omega does it right after facing the group for the stack, though. "Larboard, that's le-FACING US, RIGHT."
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Noel Maimhov
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    as the big thread on the whole larboard/starboard has pointed out: starboard and port are very distinctive and easy to tell apart, while *arboard and **arboard are easy to mix up, especially when you have to focus on other stuff as well. Which is exactly the reason it was dropped ~200 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroka View Post
    Nice and what im i supposed to do with "Backbord" and "Steuerbord" ? xD
    "Steuern zahlt man von Rechts wegen" ect. ect. there's plenty of explanations to help memorising that "Steuerbord" = right side
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast