Player
    Character
    Mirchea Luslec
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70

Aetheryte

Lore wise, do time pass when people use the teleports? Like for example moving from aleport to kugane?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Autumn Vale
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    At most a few moments for your aether to physically move from point A to point B, but besides that I don't think so.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Since 1.0 it's been stated that the time it takes to teleport and arrive at the destination aetheryte is virtually instantaneous, the time it takes to travel through the Lifestream is barely perceptible (literally in the blink of an eye).

Of course we see a loading screen which can take ten to twenty, even thirty, seconds or more of real time to load, but as far as it goes in universe, it's instant.
    (3)

Character
    Nephthys Yamada
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirch View Post
    Lore wise, do time pass when people use the teleports? Like for example moving from aleport to kugane?
    This will sound funny...not meant to be offensive...

1: Take a screenshot of your screen in Eorzea Time format
    2: Teleport to Kugane from Aleport or vice versa
    3: Screenshot again.

There's your answer

In short its however long it takes for your screen to load - but off hand i'd say pretty damn near instantaneous. Prob. not something they wanted to get into too deeply.
    Cost however seems to be an interesting aspect of the whole thing...what is it they use the gil for maintenance wise?

Then you got the Marriage Rings (Bond of eternity? I think its called?) how does that work exactly?

Etc..etc..etc..
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Autumn Vale
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by NephthysVasudan View Post
    Cost however seems to be an interesting aspect of the whole thing...what is it they use the gil for maintenance wise?
    Probably cleaning, it is a public place after all people are bound to litter the place. That and also they were notoriously expensive to repair after the calamity so even today they're likely still paying off the debt Eorzea has been put in.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Binbotaj
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by NephthysVasudan View Post
    Cost, however, seems to be an interesting aspect of the whole thing...what is it they use the gil for maintenance wise?
    This was addressed in a Duty Commenced episode, it's not a maintenance cost at all. Basically, when the calamity happened, aether travel was crippled and it was a massive problem, so the syndicate of Ul-Dah stepped in to fund the reconstruction of the aethernet. The fee you pay when you teleport is paying off the massive loan that the syndicate gave to the eorzean alliance.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Aosha Koz'ain
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdafish View Post
    This was addressed in a Duty Commenced episode, it's not a maintenance cost at all. Basically, when the calamity happened, aether travel was crippled and it was a massive problem, so the syndicate of Ul-Dah stepped in to fund the reconstruction of the aethernet. The fee you pay when you teleport is paying off the massive loan that the syndicate gave to the eorzean alliance.
    Yup. Although that makes you wonder, why are you paying when teleporting from, say, Yanxia to the Azim Steppe?
    ...Lolorito, what have you been up to?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Binbotaj
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Aosha View Post
    Yup. Although that makes you wonder, why are you paying when teleporting from, say, Yanxia to the Azim Steppe?
    ...Lolorito, what have you been up to?
    This is the plot hole that I found, nevermind those places, what about Ok' Zundu and Azyz lla?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Siesta Fiesta
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdafish View Post
    This is the plot hole that I found, nevermind those places, what about Ok' Zundu and Azyz lla?
    Not even Ok' Zundu, who are you even paying when you teleport to Zenith? I can't imagine Hraesvelgr (my god I hate spelling their names and I never know if I got them right) would be terribly interested in gil.

For that matter, why do the Moghome moogles collect gil, both for teleport fees, and for repair/merchant services too? They've been up there for a thousand years and haven't had any contact with the spoken races (which, you'd think that an airship or two would've flown across them at some point), let alone their gil.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Well, Ok' Zundu actually does have at least a logical explanation for taking gil fees for teleportation there - they actively trade with the Ishgardian knights at Camp Cloudtop, so a supply of gil would be useful for that. The aetherytes at Mourn, Zenith and Moghome are a little more vague though, although again the dragons and moogles respectively may just take gil payments in a more symbolic way (as a mark of respect, that those using it give gil to them as an offering, not a tax).

The chocoporter in those areas indeed seems to suggest the payment is more symbolic - it's not even an npc but a large chocobo statue that acts as a giant ocarina (the character presumably blows through it to call the chocobo), and the text message mentions that "it's best to leave some gil as payment, just in case..." (paraphrased). So maybe it is just a symbolic payment, a teleportation 'honour-system' if you will?

The moogles at Moghome however do end up making relations during HW's story with both Gridania and the moogles of the Black Shroud, as well as Ishgard, so again maybe they start collecting teleport fees on their behalf after that point (remember there are moogles running stores in both Moghome and Ashah, so they clearly know the value of gil and use it for something.).

Even the aetheryte at Helix in Azys Lla, an area that has been uninhabited by anything other than robots for millennia deducts payment in gil when you teleport there, and again, that sort of has an explanation in that the aetheryte, like the nodes in Helix which act as vendors and repair services, may be programmed to automatically collect whatever currency the person has (unless gil has been a universal currency since the Allag's day).

But I admit that is all a bit of a stretch....
    (2)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast