Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Kacho Nacho
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    As a healer, I approve this of this guide. Keep them commendations coming. Just teasing. /chuckle

There are so many tanks who are okay at the role; but, need that little something to become great tanks. This guide provides that something in an easy to understand format.

Thanks for the work you put into this. I'll direct my beginning tank friends to this thread.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Masahiro Kido
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Fantastic guide Jpec! As someone who has leveled both a tank and healers I think this guide will help a lot of newbie tanks in the long run so they won't end up being baddies, which this game has plenty of.

10/10
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ziero Rehw-bidit
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion88 View Post
    For example 2 CDs, each 10% mitigation.
    1. Both seperated:
    100-10%=90
    100-10%=90
    So you mitigate two times 10%.

2. Both stacked:
    100-10%-10%=81
    100-10%=90-10%=81
    So you mitigate one time 19%.

Over the duration of the CDs it is mostly superior to chain CDs instead of stacking.
    This counts mostly for teashpulls. On bosses and Savage it can be or is usually likly to stack CDs in order to survive tank busters.
    There is some truth to this but largely I disagree. For example, take a look at warrior. Thrill of Battle is made more effective when paired with defiance, and more so when paired with a traditional mitigation % CD.

But even so, what you're refering to is getting the absolute most out of every defensive CD so no % of mitigation is gone to waste, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it is far more pragmatic to call upon the most mitigation when you need it. Using your example, you will need 19% mitigation for when there's 8 mobs, and not 10% when there's 3.

Still, there are ways to stack CDs effectively and ineffectively. For PLD, it'd be wasteful to stack rampart with sentinel while you're in shield oath. At that point, rampart's 20% would be reduced to 9.6%. However, stacking anticipation can and should be done with every CD at the start of every large pull. Its short 60 sec CD and 30% parry rate is applicable no matter how much mitigation is currently active. Convalescence will always make healing a large pull easier no matter what other CDs are up, and there's no diminishing returns on that.

When I do EX roulette with WAR, I will use ToB, convalescence, anticipation, rampart for one pull. The next large pull I'll use vengeance, RI+awareness for the other, where I actually do chain anticipation after RI. I aggregate my CDs in a way that creates synergy so none step on each other's toes.
    (1)
    Last edited by Hierro; 11-25-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Player
    Character
    Baradaeg Ryssbhirwyn
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierro View Post
    snip
    You are right. There are defensive CDs who have a synergy with another but i was only talking about pure %mitigation.
    If you just stack up %mitigation you have diminishing returns. You can circumvent this by combining them with another non%mitigation CD like your own examples, you combine diffenrent types of defensive CDs, %mitigation, HP+, healing+.
    Also Anticipation has a very short CD, which makes it available on almost every pull, so you can't really lose anything in using it.

In the end it is less usefull to stack %mitigation CDs if you can circumvent the diminishing returns by just using a defensive CD which is not just plane %mitigation.
    (1)

Player

Any tips for tank swapping and stuff? I'm nervous about that
    (1)

Player
    Character
    King Canadane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixae View Post
    Any tips for tank swapping and stuff? I'm nervous about that
    Attack 1, provoke, Attack 2, Attack 3.
    Queuing up an enmity attack will help you keep it secure once you have it. Or at least that's the traditional way. Now that we have the glory that is Shirk, as soon as you provoke, your now-offtank should Shirk you and you won't need to worry about a thing. You likely won't even need to use your tank stance, depending on the scenario. Just keep up your normal rotation and all the enmity is yours. Likewise, be sure to Shirk your incoming tanks.
    (1)

http://king.canadane.com

Player
    Character
    Carlo Vinne
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadane View Post
    Attack 1, provoke, Attack 2, Attack 3.
    Queuing up an enmity attack will help you keep it secure once you have it. Or at least that's the traditional way. Now that we have the glory that is Shirk, as soon as you provoke, your now-offtank should Shirk you and you won't need to worry about a thing. You likely won't even need to use your tank stance, depending on the scenario. Just keep up your normal rotation and all the enmity is yours. Likewise, be sure to Shirk your incoming tanks.
    Don't count on the other tank using Shirk. There's plenty of times I won't see it happen, and I just can't be bothered to yell at them for it. After all, sometimes I'll forget to check I have the right role skills for the fight.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ziero Rehw-bidit
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekimmak View Post
    Don't count on the other tank using Shirk. There's plenty of times I won't see it happen, and I just can't be bothered to yell at them for it. After all, sometimes I'll forget to check I have the right role skills for the fight.
    You must yell at them everytime. I do. There's absolutely no reason why tanks should not have shirk in 8-man content. And if we keep letting crappy tanks get away with this mentality, they'll think it's acceptable to forget about shirk.
    (1)

Player

Ok just the info I was looking for. How do you know when to tank swap? Or should I just watch videos before I queue...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Carlo Vinne
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixae View Post
    Ok just the info I was looking for. How do you know when to tank swap? Or should I just watch videos before I queue...
    It's a really bad idea to not watch videos on content unless it's really new. The best way to piss off the other tank is to not tankswap.
    (1)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast