Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Marie Antoinette
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 76
    One look at their anatomy tells you that the answer is no since they have belly buttons.
    Even if its a game in a fantasy realm there would be no need for a navel if they came out of eggs.
    (14)
    Last edited by Yasuhiro; 03-03-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    Final Fantasy XIV forums in a nutshell
    Quote Originally Posted by Saccharin View Post
    I stopped reading here. I really did. Can people stop asking for FF14 to be FF11 reborn. They tried that and look what happened.

Player
    Character
    Glyn Penman
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 55
    I think of Au Ra as giant Pangolins. Their tails bear a striking resemble some styles of Au Ra tails, in my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

Pangolins are mammals that give live birth. The fact that they have scales doesn't make them a reptile hybrid, or really even closely related to reptiles. Nature sometimes results in things that are similar in appearance, but are really quite distinct by all other measures. Of course, this is a fantasy game so the designers could make up their own rules as to why things are.
    (10)
    Last edited by Warr_of_Lint; 03-03-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    Our memory of their faces is fuzzy, like an unidentifiable wad of fibers. -Anonymous Epitaph to the Warriors of Lint

Player
    Character
    Celie Lothaire
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by KageTokage View Post
    I do hope they'll have some Au Ra children in Stormblood.

The Miqu'ittens have had their time to shine.
    With us going to the Azim Steppes, the home area of the Xaela nomadic tribes, I'd be incredibly surprised if we didn't see Au Ra children.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Lineage Razor
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos View Post
    With us going to the Azim Steppes, the home area of the Xaela nomadic tribes, I'd be incredibly surprised if we didn't see Au Ra children.
    I wouldn't. ARR release saw VERY few child NPCs - and most of the ones that did exist were "fake" children: fully grown character models being passed off as teenagers (i.e., without dialog you'd have no idea they were children at all). Coming from FFXI, which had numerous children of all races in each city, it was quite disappointing. And we STILL have no Lalafell or Rogadyn child models, anywhere.

I will not be remotely surprised if there are no Au Ra children on the steppes.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Celie Lothaire
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LineageRazor View Post
    I wouldn't. ARR release saw VERY few child NPCs - and most of the ones that did exist were "fake" children: fully grown character models being passed off as teenagers
    Why would the ARR release be more relevant than the numerous examples of child NPCs added more recently?

If anything, the Heavensward launch is a better indicator of whether we are likely to see children of a particular race that is important to that area...or have you forgotten that day one of Heavensward featured numerous Elezen children in appropriate (to the lore/setting) areas?

Judging whether we will see children Au Ra based on the status of the game almost 4 years ago is frankly kind of silly.

Back on the original topic...

Found what I thought I had heard about the Au Ra (lore panel from the Las Vegas Fan Fest where Koji read Oda-san's answers to a variety of submitted questions) - they do grow their horns out over time until it reaches a particular size, and then it stops growing (and it can grow back if damaged/broken, albeit slowly). Doesn't mention the size the horns start at but it does clearly show that they start smaller than what is seen on our character models.

As for the whole egg laying thing, I believe the following is the closest indicator we have regarding how Au Ra are born...

From the description of the Himaa tribe: "For reasons unknown, one out of every three pregnancies amongst the Himaa result in twins." This, along with numerous mentions of breeding or birth and zero mentions of hatching (the EE tends to mention aspects that might make a group stand out, and giving birth through laying eggs definitely fits that bill), to me, strongly indicate the nature of Au Ra birth, namely that it is not through laying of eggs.
    (3)
    Last edited by Berethos; 03-04-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Player
    Character
    Lodestone Bait
    World
    Pandaemonium
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasuhiro View Post
    One look at their anatomy tells you that the answer is no since they have belly buttons.
    Even if its a game in a fantasy realm there would be no need for a navel if they came out of eggs.
    One look at a male's crotch when wearing underwear or tight swimwear reveals that none of them have a bulge.

What this means for our poor men and Eorzean reproduction methods would probably derail the thread. But it's fun to think about :P
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Glyn Penman
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Zojha View Post
    One look at a male's crotch when wearing underwear or tight swimwear reveals that none of them have a bulge.
    I know yours is a tongue in cheek post, but let me say that just as some pregnancies show more than others, some men's Yadababas show more than others. I have seen many many European tourists at the beach and unless Europe had a high proportion of eunuchs, many men pack very light (I do not claim to know what they look like unpacked; I'm commenting on the book's cover, not content).

It seems that Square has selected the smallest phenotype possible as a basis of their models. Understandable, but color me slightly disappointed.
    (6)
    Our memory of their faces is fuzzy, like an unidentifiable wad of fibers. -Anonymous Epitaph to the Warriors of Lint

Player
    Character
    Towering Clam
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasuhiro View Post
    Looking closer at the anatomy makes me wonder some other things...like, males have a significantly lower W/H ratio than females.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Blonde Renwynd
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 68
    Slightly off topic, but I really hope the Au Ra get some background in Stormblood. They are a fascinating race indeed.

On a side note, I suppose SE could make them lay eggs if they so choose. However, it's been implied they share no relation to dragons and they do have core mammalian characteristics (hair, breasts, etc).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Gumbercules Thesecond
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 80
    lol this thread made me remember the egg laying scene with papi from monster musume >.>
    (1)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast